Machine shops in BB's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine shops in BB's

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the machine shops on BB's, like how big were they and how much machinery did they have? Anyone got any pics?
    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
    -General George Patton Jr.

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the machine shops on BB's, like how big were they and how much machinery did they have? Anyone got any pics?
    No pics at this moment. But there was a large machine shop on the port side of second deck.

Then down on the third deck there was the electrical shop and shipfitter shop on the port side. On the starboard side was the carpentery shop.

Then there was the battery charger room, the photo lab, the print shop, two barber shops, a dental lab, an ER med space, med recovery room, the armory. Several Damage Control lockers with emergency repair tools and first aid kits.

Finally there was the brig that repaired bad attitudes.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Oh wow, I think one day I just need to go see one of these ships. Is there anything you don't know about these ships Rusty?
      "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
      -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        No pics at this moment. But there was a large machine shop on the port side of second deck.

Gee whiz cRusty, wouldn't you say the machine shop was closer to the centerline? I used to use the ladder just starboard/aft of the machine shop to get down to the tail end of Broadway. Outboard of the port passageway was the large crew head you had to step up into.
        Last edited by Ytlas; 10 Feb 08,, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
          Gee whiz cRusty, wouldn't you say the machine shop was closer to the centerline? I used to use the ladder just starboard/aft of the machine shop to get down to the tail end of Broadway. Outboard of the port passageway was the large crew head you had to step up into.
          Well, in a way you're right. The ship's centerline went through the shop lengthwise but more square footage was to the port to allow the double doors with the monorail room to open into the port passageway.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

BB Machine Shop

Hope I am doing this right. I’ve tried to enclose a link to a USS New Jersey web site that I visit, it has pictures of the machine shop. If I do not get the link attached go to ussnewjersey.com, in the photo index go to 2002, 11/30/2002. There a lot of photos of the machine shop. The Bullard VTL on board is identical to the one I used to run at the Torrington bearings plant in South Bend Indiana about 30 years ago!http://www.ussnewjersey.com/rect_37-1.htm

Comment

Some of the machinery aboard:

Two Bridgeports Verticle boring mills.
              Large boring turret lates
              Several large bed/feed mechanical lathes.
              Large area surface grinders.
              Large drill presses.
              Metal working brakes
              *These are only a few of the items aboard.

Also Heat Treating shop
              Welding shop
              Electronic equip shop with high temp bake heaters. etc.

These are only a few of the items and the shops and all are well looked after and superby clean by the gentlemen who take care of them.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The following are just a few there are many more...
                Attached Files

Comment

See BB35 machine shop at this link: MachineRm

It is located on 3rd deck, starboard side at frame 100. I am not that familiar with the equipment, so I cannot comment on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ctom3 View Post
                    See BB35 machine shop at this link: MachineRm

It is located on 3rd deck, starboard side at frame 100. I am not that familiar with the equipment, so I cannot comment on it.
                    Lots of work been done in that shop.;)

Most dont realize that all of the USN battleships had extensive repair facilities for whatever era they were built for/in. Nice pics Tom.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      The following are just a few there are many more...
                      wow, that is an awesome shop, i only wish i had one like that, ..thing i could do there,
                      it does look like it has too low of a overhead clerance, i,d prbly be hitting my head on all those pipes, and i beams. still great shop.
                      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

outdoor section of the shop
                        Attached Files
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

After speaking with one of the Machinist Mates this weekend onboard the Iowas was normally 8 men assigned to the machine shop (only) (not HT or the other shops). Pending damage to the ship or ships in the group could have up to 15 men in the machine shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            After speaking with one of the Machinist Mates this weekend onboard the Iowas was normally 8 men assigned to the machine shop (only) (not HT or the other shops). Pending damage to the ship or ships in the group could have up to 15 men in the machine shop.

And the people assigned, were they (pre 1974 rates) MM's, ME's, SF's???

Seems like a waste of manpower to have 8 full time machinists on stand by.
                            Last edited by Ytlas; 25 Mar 08,, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                              And the people assigned, were they (pre 1974 rates) MM's, ME's, SF's???

Seems like a waste of manpower to have 8 full time machinists on stand by.
                              Pal, I am thinking this number also totaled the HT's (Hull-Techs) in the Blacksmith shop (Aluminum,Steel,SheetBrass, etc) which is located smack in the middle of the machine shop (but its own compartment). The Heat Treat shop and Motor winding shop would add additional men as well as the Carpenters shop and Sail Loft (Canvas,Cloth etc.)

I was surprised to see the additional machinery that was added after the refits in the 1980's and learning of some of the work that was completed aboard and while underway. Thought to myself why would they go to all this trouble for a warship that was supposed to be retiring. And to get this machinery to those spaces was certainly alot of work.

The machine shops aboard Jersey are full functioning and are used almost everyday in maintenance work and other work for the ship. And the man in charge keeps the shops immaculately clean.

I can imagine with a ship so large and intricate that there is always something for those men to be doing.
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 25 Mar 08,, 20:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X