Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Top 5 most handsome and most ugly battleships.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top 5 most handsome and most ugly battleships.

My top 5 prettiest are.

1. Vittorio Veneto class

2. Cesare/Doria class (modernised)

3. The Iowa class

4. The Scharnhorst after refit

5. HMS Hood

My ugliest are

1. The Russian Ganguts especially after refit

2. The Nagatos after 1926 refit

3. The USS Nevada after Pearl Harbor

4 The Fuso's

5.HMS Nelson under ANY circumstances.
    Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 01:03.

1. Jean Bart

2. Hood

3. South Dakota

4. Vittorio Veneto

5. Bismark

Ugliest

1. Fuso class

2. HMS Nelson/Rodney

3. Nagato

4. King George V class

5. Kearsage

Comment

OK, I used to check out a book from my local library when I was a young lad called...alright I don't remember what it was called, but it was really cool.

It had several warships throughout history that it devoted a 3-page foldout full-color profile drawing. VERY beautiful and detailed at the same time.

My favorite was the heavily armed HMS Nelson.

So there! :P
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Jean Bart ... pretty ?

South Dakotas rather than Iowas or North Carolinas ?

Must be an 'eye of the beholder' thing I suppose.

The Japanese modernisations were by and large the most pig ugly vessels in all hells creation .

I still think the modernised Ganguts were real warthogs .... jeeez they made you want to puke just looking at them ... the best thing the Germans ever did in WW2 was sink them IMO.

I've often thought the British Royal Sovereigns were a talismanic image of the quintissential 2nd generation Capital ship but then maybe thats just me !
        Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 04:19.

Comment

To me, the five best looking Battleships are:

The Iowa Class

The Jean Bart (after post-war refit)

The Bismarck Class

The South Dakota Class (one stack "Fast Battleship" design)

The North Carolina Class (two stack "Fast Battleship" design)

If I could make it count, I would sneak the Yamato Class in there as well. The superstructure was their typical add ons of gazillions of deckhouses and platforms, but the hull was absolutely beautiful.

Scharnorst Class would also follow very closely.

As for the 5 most ugly Battleships:
          Name any five you want. Some were bulky looking and handsome in their own way and some were, well, sort of Battleship looking and ugly in their own way. So I won't pick any.
          Last edited by RustyBattleship; 05 Feb 08,, 03:44.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I find it rather odd that nobody mentions the Vittorio Veneto class especially Roma with her extended forecastle. I think Roma was possibly the best looking BB ever built irrespective of her fighting qualities.

The Doria and Cesare modernizations didnt look too shabby either.

The Italians just seem to have that happy knack .... have you seen thier cruisers ..... WOW !!

Comment

Alrighty, to throw a complete hijack, name the class and for a bonus, ship
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Indefatigable class battlecruiser... I think that might actually be HMS New Zealand pre late WW1 additions.
                Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 04:03.

Comment

That's her, but I've also heard them called the King Edward VII or Empire class, damned if I know why the difference?

Leibniz

Comment

Yeah we loved pompous nomenclature back then especially as regards the 'colonies' so you could well be right.

I know you are a Kiwi and all and I certainly dont want to offend your sensibilities but the Indefatigables were perhaps the worst capital ships ever built. After her hit on the 7" armour of her Y turret at Jutland she was lucky to survive IMO.

Indefatigable certainly didnt

No disrespect . I admire the NZ contribution to both wars enormously. You guys are great ! We just gave you dodgy kit .... not for the first time sadly
                    Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 04:26.

Comment

Originally posted by flogger View Post
                      Yeah we loved pompous nomenclature back then especially as regards the 'colonies' so you could well be right.

I know you are a Kiwi and all and I certainly dont want to offend your sensibilities but the Indefatigables were perhaps the worst capital ships ever built. After her hit on the 7" armour of her Y turret at Jutland she was lucky to survive IMO.

Indefatigable certainly didnt

No disrespect . I admire the NZ contribution to both wars enormously. You guys are great ! We just gave you dodgy kit .... not for the first time sadly
                      Hell, we just paid for it, no skin off our nose.;) I just tossed her in because it's one of the few connections my country ever had with a battleship:))
                      We'll file that class under 'ugly' then....

Leibniz

Comment

Taking this a bit further. Here are my choices for different eras.

What was the best looking Capital ship of WW2

Roma (1942) Italy.

What was the best looking Capital ship of WW 1

Derfflinger (1914) Germany

What was the best looking Pre Dreadnaught.

Charles Martel (1897) France

And this is purely based on aesthetics nothing else !

Your Thoughts ?
                        Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 04:48.

Comment

Originally posted by flogger View Post
                          I find it rather odd that nobody mentions the Vittorio Veneto class especially Roma with her extended forecastle. I think Roma was possibly the best looking BB ever built irrespective of her fighting qualities.

The Doria and Cesare modernizations didnt look too shabby either.

The Italians just seem to have that happy knack .... have you seen thier cruisers ..... WOW !!
                          Wow you are right. They were handsome ships. But why the raised #3 turret? It looked like the ship was meant to have 4 turrets but #4 was never completed.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Pre Dreadnought worst looking?

Leibniz

Comment

Wow you are right. They were handsome ships. But why the raised #3 turret? It looked like the ship was meant to have 4 turrets but #4 was never completed.
                              Thats a bit like Cindy Crawfords Mole .... but you still would ...wouldnt you ? :))

The raised Turret was meant to clear the catapult and aircraft from blast from the rear turret ..... talk about mixed up priorities ! All that wasted barbette armour and metacentric height !
                              Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 06:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X