No more bloody Iowa threads !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more bloody Iowa threads !

Dont contributers here get bored with around a third of the threads here being about the Iowas and almost ALL the threads being hijacked by discussions about them somewhere or other.

The Iowas were 4 Battleships of one class comissioned at a time when the battleship had been superceded by the Aircraft Carrier. And its not like they had ever engaged an opposite number in combat either unlike many others from both world wars and earlier. There were around 200+ battleships in around 70 different other classes from around the world and from a period where they mattered far more thats just the Dreadnaughts. The pre Dreads were even more numerous and often more interesting too.

Why I drift away from this forum for long periods tends to be the sheer scale of yawnsome stuff on these ships regurgitated over and over again.:(

Why not just call it the Iowas Forum instead and be done with it because the way this forum looks you'd think no other battleship class had ever existed
    Last edited by flogger; 04 Feb 08,, 09:12.

A portion of the membership here enjoys discussing battleships. Who are you to waltz in and demand a subforum be closed?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

If you don't like it, don't read it. Seems simple enough to me

Comment

Originally posted by flogger View Post
        Dont contributers here get bored with around a third of the threads here being about the Iowas and almost ALL the threads being hijacked by discussions about them somewhere or other.

The Iowas were 4 Battleships of one class comissioned at a time when the battleship had been superceded by the Aircraft Carrier. And its not like they had ever engaged an opposite number in combat either unlike many others from both world wars and earlier. There were around 200+ battleships in around 70 different other classes from around the world and from a period where they mattered far more thats just the Dreadnaughts. The pre Dreads were even more numerous and often more interesting too.

Why I drift away from this forum for long periods tends to be the sheer scale of yawnsome stuff on these ships regurgitated over and over again.:(

Why not just call it the Iowas Forum instead and be done with it because the way this forum looks you'd think no other battleship class had ever existed

You will have to forgive us friend. There a few men in these forums that worked on them and sailed upon them through out their many changes and commisionings. We like to share and exchange tech information here as a good majority of people here were not alive at the time of the other classes of battleships or their own respective commisionings. We started this thread with this in mind and it blew up into an enormose thread at that. So calling for an end to our threads is not a call for you to make and will be for us to decide when and where these threads end. You are more then welcome to participate as much or as little as you like or as you mentioned above dont read it at all. Keep in mind these threads were created long ago and long before you were a part of the WAB. If you dont like the battleships thread then there is other threads you may find of interest. But calling for an end to a set of threads you did not create is not your place and certainly wont be adhered to especially by the threads creators.;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So Ironduke if we arent discussing the Iowas then we arent discussing battleships altogether ... period ... did I read you right ?! My point is why not indeed create a subdforum just for the American Iowa lovers here rather than boring the rest of us to death with them. It kills the interest of non Americans in the current forum frankly.

We arent all Americans you know. The Iowas are indeed an interesting class but you would think they were the ONLY class looking at the list of threads here. Why not just dump them into one big thread rather than multiple ones ?

I myself have been aboard the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbour, the 1900 armoured cruiser Aurora in St Petersburg Russia (absolutely fascinating BTW), the 1939 cruiser HMS Belfast in London and the 1860 Ironclad HMS Warrior the RNs first armoured ship plus HMS Victory (Nelsons 1805 Flagship at Trafalgar) at Portsmouth England. If anyone would like photos I'd be happy to email them. I have a keen interest in ALL armoured warships.

Some greater variety would be nice though dont you think ? Its bound to attract a greater number of contributers too frankly. Why does the forum content have to be so narrowly focused all the time ?
          Last edited by flogger; 04 Feb 08,, 17:45.

Comment

So Ironduke if we arent discussing the Iowas then we arent discussing battleships altogether ... period ... did I read you right ?! My point is why not indeed create a subdforum just for the American Iowa lovers here rather than boring the rest of us to death with them. It kills the interest of non Americans in the current forum frankly.

We arent all Americans you know. The Iowas are indeed an interesting class but you would think they were the ONLY class looking at the list of threads here. Why not just dump them into one big thread rather than multiple ones ?

I myself have been aboard the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbour, the 1900 armoured cruiser Aurora in St Petersburg Russia (absolutely fascinating BTW), the 1939 cruiser HMS Belfast in London and the 1860 Ironclad HMS Warrior the RNs first armoured ship plus HMS Victory (Nelsons 1805 Flagship at Trafalgar) at Portsmouth England. If anyone would like photos I'd be happy to email them. I have a keen interest in ALL armoured warships.

Some greater variety would be nice though dont you think ? Its bound to attract a greater number of contributers too frankly. Why does the forum content have to be so narrowly focused all the time ?
            If you want to start your own thread then do so. The Iowas dont need their own sub forum, they just happen to be very popular with the enthuesiests that happen to visit here among others that have worked upon them and no they are not all Americans to say the least. IronDuke created this formum to seperate it from World navies catgory and rightfully so everybody could contribute. You may want to ask those gentlemen that aren't Americans if they are bored as you say. They do not seem to be from some of the responses that are given. So basically there is no need for a sub forum when there is plenty of space here in the battleships forum for all. If you dont like reading about the Iowas or are bored as you say well then just create your own and you will no longer have to be bored.;)
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

No, that's incorrect, you did not read him right.

The sub-forum is for battleship discussion. Unfortunately, you'll be hard-pressed to find a class of battleships with the superlatives that are attached to the Iowas, including this one: The ONLY class of battleship that has a chance in hell of being reactivated.

By the way, nice general assumption that all Iowa-class "lovers" as you put it, are solely American.

We arent all Americans you know.
              I was wondering when you'd get around that old battlecry.

The Iowas are indeed an interesting class but you would think they were the ONLY class looking at the list of threads here. Why not just dump them into one big thread rather than multiple ones ?
              And this is the fault of the WAB Staff how?

I'm not particularly fond myself of the umpteen-million "Let's Bring Back The Iowas" threads that are made by the newer members and if I could do it without the inevitable screaming of 'BIG BROTHER!!' and 'CENSORSHIP!!' and 'FREE SPEECH!!' then I most likely would combine several of those types of threads into one.

Come to think of it, I'll probably do that regardless, so good suggestion flogger.

I'm also going to put those types of "Bring them back" threads in the same category as 9-11 conspiracy threads: Dime a dozen, we've got plenty, don't start anymore if you please.

No argument here, but we also try to get the Board from getting too subdivided. But again, people will post what they want to post.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Hi Flogger,

Sorry, but the Iowa issue will be around for a while. It has been a topic of disucssion for many years. For you to suggest that there be no more Iowa threads would be like saying, well, there should be no threads about happenings in your country because, we aren't all from just your country.

Why don't you make a thread about your interests, instead of telling us which threads we should and shouldn't make. Your interests may spark some insight, and conversations on the boards:) .

I have yet to post my views about the Iowa's here, and soon I will. If you wish not to read, that is your perogative.

Comment

All right, I'm in the process of merging several Iowa-class threads into large "compendium" threads. Flogger, while not exactly presenting his case in a particularly tactful way, does have a good point.

The "Bring Them Back" threads are being merged and stickied.

A few other topics which seem to have acquired multiples have also been combined. If your favorite thread was amongst those vacuumed up, then I do apologize.

Originally posted by SteaminDemon View Post
                  Why don't you make a thread about your interests, instead of telling us which threads we should and shouldn't make. Your interests may spark some insight, and conversations on the boards:).
                  That's an excellent idea. :)
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Don't like it, don't read it. It's called freedom. We have the freedom to discuss whatever we want. You have the freedom to not get involved. The topics are clearly labeled. I assume you read english. Don't click on them. Even if you do, don't read the words. Problem solved.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      All right, I'm in the process of merging several Iowa-class threads into large "compendium" threads.
                      you heretic you!:))
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I've no problem with freedom I've a big problem with choice.

Are the Iowas really all you know ?:(

Comment

I've no problem with freedom I've a big problem with choice.

Are the Iowas really all you know ?:(
                          You don't like choices or you don't know how to choose?
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

This is a battleship forum so lets talk battleships not just Iowas..... do you agree ?

Some claim here that there is international interest in the Iowas .... OK ... where is it ?
                            Last edited by flogger; 05 Feb 08,, 01:48.

Comment

This is a battleship forum so lets talk battleships not just Iowas..... do you agree ?

Some claim here that there is international interest in the Iowas .... OK ... where is it ?
                              Take a look at some of the threads and tell me if you see 100% American only participation. ;)

And even if there wasn't, show me a single non-American battleship that had the longevity of an Iowa-class (particularly one that showed service as late as oh let's say 1968...or 1991?)

Comment

Working...
                              X