PDA

View Full Version : Best Ski Resorts?

Shek
01 Feb 08,, 04:07
I just took up skiing last year when I got my oldest daughter on skis (it's humbling to have your little kid whooping your a$$ on the slopes). Anyways, the plan is to get the rest of the family on skis in the next 1-3 years and I'd love to take some ski vacations in the future.

Any recommendations based on your favorite places to hit the slopes?

CuMetal
01 Feb 08,, 22:46
I just took up skiing last year when I got my oldest daughter on skis (it's humbling to have your little kid whooping your a$$ on the slopes). Anyways, the plan is to get the rest of the family on skis in the next 1-3 years and I'd love to take some ski vacations in the future.

Any recommendations based on your favorite places to hit the slopes?

Taos...no snow boarders allowed!

Shamus
01 Feb 08,, 23:56
Shanty Creek/Schuss Mountain,northwestern lower penninsula Michigan.Slopes are nice and well-groomed although not huge,accomodations are top-notch.I'm not a downhill skier Shek but their cross-country trails are very nice also:) .

RustyBattleship
02 Feb 08,, 00:03
To me, the best ski resort is one with a nice warm lodge, good hot-buttered Rum and a big window to watch other people fall off the lift or run into trees. I had a supervisor who broke his back on a tobaggon when they went over the snow plow drift and land in the parking lot.

Jay
02 Feb 08,, 03:07
Whistler, BC , Park City, UT..been to these places and they are nice. Thsi year I might go to Okemo, VT. I was there in the summer and the town looks great.

S2
02 Feb 08,, 06:24
Your money's welcome in Bend. Consider also Big Sky, just outside Bozeman. Bend and Bozeman offer very affordable and top notch skiing, particularly Bend. The snow is awesome this year.

If you've friends out at Lewis then you know all about Snoqualmie. My niece is up there every weekend doing instruction for 6-9 year olds. Stay in Seattle, enjoy the amenities and be an hour from the slopes.

Repatriated Canuck
02 Feb 08,, 06:28
Or got to Vancouver where you have 2 in 20 minutes distance a third 45 min and Whistler 2 hours away. Added bonus is that the American dollar stretches a bit farther in Canada.

S2
02 Feb 08,, 06:31
"...and Whistler 2 hours away."

And a damned neat drive at that.:)

Jay
02 Feb 08,, 07:08
Or got to Vancouver where you have 2 in 20 minutes distance a third 45 min and Whistler 2 hours away. Added bonus is that the American dollar stretches a bit farther in Canada.
Oh yeah, when I lived there, Grouse took me 5 mins, but look where I am now :mad:

tankie
02 Feb 08,, 07:10
The Chinese Alps ,, Beijing:rolleyes:

Officer of Engineers
02 Feb 08,, 07:13
Tankie, Beijing is on flat land.

tankie
02 Feb 08,, 07:28
Tankie, Beijing is on flat land.

Ohhhhhhhh , i know that Col , but seeing as they are getting their more than fair share of snow at the mo , i thought , why waste it , go build a slope and have fun :rolleyes: ,,, unlike the passengers who cant get home ,, happy new year huh ?

And its also a reason why the Irish dont go water ski,ing , they cant find a lake with a slope on it :rolleyes:

crooks
02 Feb 08,, 19:49
Any Ski Resort in the Bernese Alps - They're expensive but it's a beautiful place.

I've never actually Skiied anywhere else, though I've heard good things about the Italian resorts, and you can even see a couple from the highest Swiss slopes (keeping an eye on the competition fruend ;)).

sappersgt
02 Feb 08,, 20:53
When I lived in San Jose I used to ski every Wednesday at Bear Valley, lift tickets were half off. It's a three hour drive so you didn't have to get up "oh dark thirty". You got up at six to make the lifts when they opened at 9:30. Ski a "half day" till 1:30 and make it back in time to avoid the worst of rush hour traffic. Half off a half day lift ticket made skiing pretty cheap as I already owned skis. Broke up the week. :cool: :))

Debbie
02 Feb 08,, 21:09
To me, the best ski resort is one with a nice warm lodge, good hot-buttered Rum and a big window to watch other people fall off the lift or run into trees.

We are in agreement Rusty, I've never had the urge even once to strap wooden slats to my feet and hurtle down a slope or mountain. Don't see the sense in it. Snow-shoeing - now there is a winter sport I can get excited about.

tankie
03 Feb 08,, 06:18
When in the Army , we went to a place in Bavaria called Sonnthoffen ?? , it had good nursery slopes for the leaners , ( which i was one of ) the facilities were excellent ( 1971) so can only have improved by now , And the beer was the best in the world as well ,, Bavarian ,but im also a fan of R/Bs Rum and sightseeing . :) .

Ryan Bailey
07 Feb 08,, 16:52
Friends I recommend Stowe, Vale, Gore & Blue.

Happy Skiing.