What year is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What year is it?

Everyone I know says two-thousand-eight. I'd prefer to say twenty-oh-eight, like nineteen-oh-eight or eighteen-oh-eight, but I fall into the habit of what everybody else says.

I heard a British guy on TV say "two-eight", is that standard over there? How do you and the people in your area say 2008?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

two thousand eight
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      I heard a British guy on TV say "two-eight", is that standard over there? How do you and the people in your area say 2008?
      No that's not the standard in the UK. We say Two thousand and eight

Comment

"Two Thousand and Eight".

It depends on the context of blokey though. Engineers for internal design labels sometimes miss out the century which is likely to be irrelevant in the life of the design, and just use the millenia, so you will see instances of something labelled 196 as being a "1996 version" , 208 being "2008 version".

Some IT types like to use 2k8. But they they would really.

I prefer 36 AT but then i have such an ego.
        at

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          No that's not the standard in the UK. We say Two thousand and eight
          Oh come on Dave you say "Two thousand and eight LAR !!!
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

two thousand eight.
            or 5768,
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

"Two-Zero-Ten-Minus-Two"
              "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                Oh come on Dave you say "Two thousand and eight LAR !!!
                Only in Liverpool..When I'm in Posh Cheshire its MMVIII;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                  Only in Liverpool..When I'm in Posh Cheshire its MMVIII;)
                  Quite so old boy
                  sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                    "Two Thousand and Eight".

It depends on the context of blokey though. Engineers for internal design labels sometimes miss out the century which is likely to be irrelevant in the life of the design, and just use the millenia, so you will see instances of something labelled 196 as being a "1996 version" , 208 being "2008 version".

Some IT types like to use 2k8. But they they would really.

I prefer 36 AT but then i have such an ego.
                    If memory serves, wasn't there a hooha when computer designers missed out a couple of digits at the change of the Millennium that caused World wide panic?

Comment

It's 2008????
                      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                        It's 2008????
                        Year? I can't even remember what day of the week it is!;)
                        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Twenty aught eight?
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gocha

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            Twenty aught eight?
                            No fair, we already knew you're an Aught Six fiend ...

Comment

The real problem is...what will we refer to this era when we become codgers? The 90's and 80's just flow off the lips. We can't say, hey remember the time from 01 to 10. It's just darn awkward. The teens won't work either, we have12 years before we get something cool and by then I will be pretty close to being an old codger.

I think we need a committee for this, to come up for a name to define these awkward sounding years.

Comment

Working...
                              X