PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Tom Clancy?

BudW
27 Jan 08,, 04:20
His books use to be great, been average at best the last 4-5 years, is there anyone out there as good as he use to be?

BadKharma
27 Jan 08,, 05:20
Yes there are several good military fiction writers out there. Depends what you are looking for of course.

citanon
27 Jan 08,, 08:06
I've always had the feeling that his books started the downhill slide after he divorced his wife. Did she used to be his editor? Unfortunately I have not found another military writer as cogent and fresh as the early Clancy. Most books I've read have seemed hackneyed imitation of the original.

TopHatter
27 Jan 08,, 08:35
His books use to be great, been average at best the last 4-5 years, is there anyone out there as good as he use to be?

Who wouldn've thought that's what happens when you get rich and famous: Your books basically suck and you're joke compared to what you used to be.

You'll notice he hasn't released a "Study In Command" book 4 years, a novel in 5 years nor a "Guided Tour" book in 7 years.

I mean, if you want to retire, then tell your devoted fans (you know, the ones who assisted your change-over from insurance salesman to multi-millionaire) that you've decided to relax and take some time for yourself. You know, retire?

Traps
27 Jan 08,, 08:51
Could not agree more AND MY ABSOLUTE WORST are when other authors write books and they say : Tom Clancy and Joe Bloggs!

Garbage!

Bloggs wrote the crap and Clancy pockets royalties!

BTW Larry Bond and Patrick Larkin are the main driving force behind RED STORM RISING - Try them as well.

lwarmonger
27 Jan 08,, 09:07
BTW Larry Bond and Patrick Larkin are the main driving force behind RED STORM RISING - Try them as well.

Red Storm Rising seemed a lot more like Larry Bond's work than it seemed like a Clancy novel... but once Larry Bond stopped looking at war and started focusing on terrorism and special operations I lost interest.

Vortex, Red Phoenix and Cauldron are all good books by Larry Bond if you want to check them out. Also, Barrett Tillman's The Sixth Battle is pretty good too.

Traps
27 Jan 08,, 12:05
Iwar : If you check you will see that RSR was more Pat Larkin than Bond - Try his latest under the "Robert Ludlum" banner.

glyn
27 Jan 08,, 12:11
Traps, if you stay poor your writing skills are less likely to deteriorate!:)

Traps
27 Jan 08,, 12:49
True but I bet they'd rather be rich crappy writers....

TopHatter
27 Jan 08,, 17:51
Could not agree more AND MY ABSOLUTE WORST are when other authors write books and they say : Tom Clancy and Joe Bloggs!
Garbage!Ghost-written. Trading on the "name".

Several years back a good friend of mine bought me a "Tom Clancy" book. I had to regretfully explain to her that - while I really appreciated the thought - it was not a Tom Clancy novel.

Now it barely matters.

BTW Larry Bond and Patrick Larkin are the main driving force behind RED STORM RISING - Try them as well.Are you entirely sure about Patrick Larkin?

I mean, I can practically spot Larry Bond's stuff in RSR with my eyes closed, mainly because he'd ram a certain writing technique* in the ground with his later books.

Not to mention his first 3 books ripped off RSR's ending...and then Clancy figured "why not be as lazy" and did the same for The Bear And The Dragon. :rolleyes:

*Try to end every battle sequence with a dramatic one-line summation of the events.

It's neat when used sparingly. It's a tired cliché when you do it in practically every chapter.

...once Larry Bond stopped looking at war and started focusing on terrorism and special operations I lost interest.
Same here but I guess you can only do full-scale conventional war so many ways.

Vortex, Red Phoenix and Cauldron are all good books by Larry Bond if you want to check them out.Vortex was...odd. Not to mention downright creepy in a few places. :confused:

Cauldron was very well done IMO...once you got beyond the utterly ridiculous premise. Of all of his books, I probably re-read that one most.

Also, Barrett Tillman's The Sixth Battle is pretty good too.Just put that one on order, thanks for the recommendation :)

tim52
27 Jan 08,, 18:46
Red Storm Rising seemed a lot more like Larry Bond's work than it seemed like a Clancy novel... but once Larry Bond stopped looking at war and started focusing on terrorism and special operations I lost interest.

Vortex, Red Phoenix and Cauldron are all good books by Larry Bond if you want to check them out. Also, Barrett Tillman's The Sixth Battle is pretty good too.

I would also suggest Eric L. Harry's Arc Light, Protect & Defend and Invasion. Also check out Joe Buff, Ralph Peters and Harold Coyle.

BudW
27 Jan 08,, 20:51
Thank you all! I have Larry Bond,Coyle,Brown, was wishing for a new young gun.

lwarmonger
27 Jan 08,, 21:07
Vortex was...odd. Not to mention downright creepy in a few places. :confused:

The whole "hitleresqe" style of government that Vorster put into place? Yeah, but South Africa has had a Nazi streak since before WWII.

Cauldron was very well done IMO...once you got beyond the utterly ridiculous premise. Of all of his books, I probably re-read that one most.

When you think about it, if there had been another "great depression" after the end of the Cold War, it isn't so far fetched. Prosperity does tend to mitigate against large scale war while massive poverty brings out the violence.

Just put that one on order, thanks for the recommendation :)

Yeah, he isn't normally a novel writer (historian), but he did a pretty good job with this one. It is about South Africa, and is definitely alternate history (he has to go ahead about 10 years from where he was to where the Soviets had finally decided to build a carrier force in order to have a navy that could challenge ours).

Another book that is pretty good that is done by him is called Warriors, and pretty much it posits that the Saudi's finally decide to build a force of about 120 F-5's that they can maintain independent of any one supplier of parts. They hire the best aviators money can buy from around the world to pick and train Saudi pilots (in order to avoid the nepotism and corruption so endemic in their armed forces). It ends with a bang (not like the Clancy or Bond novels at all) and is an interesting perspective on both the "simple is better" perspective in terms of equipment and the strength of air power in the desert.

TopHatter
27 Jan 08,, 21:52
The whole "hitleresqe" style of government that Vorster put into place? Yeah, but South Africa has had a Nazi streak since before WWII.

Nah I meant that SA government guy who liked to take young boys to a hotel room, slug 'em in the face and you know the rest :(

Ugh...just ugh...

lwarmonger
28 Jan 08,, 01:13
Nah I meant that SA government guy who liked to take young boys to a hotel room, slug 'em in the face and you know the rest :(

Ugh...just ugh...

Yeah, I think that character was modeled on a combination of Herman Goering and Himmler. Pretty messed up.

RadioPatrol
28 Jan 08,, 05:28
Hmm ........ Dale Brown ?

sappersgt
28 Jan 08,, 07:45
byTopHatter
Vortex was...odd. Not to mention downright creepy in a few places.

I have a signed copy. Although a work of fiction the novel does contain accurate accounts of several incidents that actually happened. I liked the background work he did either reading the after action reports or interviewing people that were there. By closely reading one account I could even determine what platoon whoever he got his information was in.:cool:

Ugh...just ugh...

I'd heard that part of the story was close to the truth. Probably based on police reports. Lesotho was rumored to be a haven for those of similar ilk. :frown:

dilawar
01 Feb 08,, 15:23
I've read a few Tom Clancy's and he was very perceptive in 'The sum of all fears', the Bourne series, specially the 1st one i enjoyed. But some (thats just MHO) i thought he was making pshycics of his characters in some sort of way, like conversing at a hypothetical level not endorsed by ordinary humans. Maybe thats just my take, but i felt that way and the book bored me. I heard he'd been hired by the CIA for lectures and more. It's after that he stopped publishing more novels. Maybe that had something to do?

dalem
01 Feb 08,, 18:37
The Bourne books are from Ludlum, not Clancy.

In my opinion Clancy's path is no more complicated than any popular author who begins to pull more weight than his editors.

-dale

citanon
02 Feb 08,, 06:47
So, who is the modern Clancy? Any recent techno-thrillers worth reading?

Officer of Engineers
02 Feb 08,, 07:02
None that would compare to the real life stuff. The After-Action Reports that has been coming out far outdone anything Clancy and the like could do.

dilawar
04 Feb 08,, 18:55
Dalem thanks! I stand corrected. Actually it was Ludlum that muddled me in some versions. Got that wrong. I read both authors same time a few years back. I did likethe Sum of all fears by Clancy though. Was years ahead of it's time.

Gun Grape
04 Feb 08,, 23:22
The Bourne books are from Ludlum, not Clancy.

-dale

They are being continued by Eric Van Lustbader

The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal.

Havn't read them but I did like Lustbaders, Nicholas Linnear series and just finished the Testament. Not bad for a "Da Vinci code" clone

Wraith601
05 Feb 08,, 06:46
Hmm ........ Dale Brown ?

I had the misfortune of reading one of Dale Brown's abominations he passes off as a novel. A mistake I will not duplicate.

As for Tom Clancy why should he write books anymore now that he has the Xbox 360, aka the Tom Clancy Money Machine. He has the Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, and now the End War series raking in dough by the freight car.

Plus the reported movie version of Without Remorse and Rainbow Six.

Somehow I doubt very much if he cares what anyone thinks these days.

GraniteForge
06 Feb 08,, 06:32
Most professionals seem to enjoy the books by Marcus Wynne.

editec
30 May 11,, 12:43
Tom Clancy = Jingo apologist

bigross86
30 May 11,, 17:48
Editec, I appreciate that you want to dive in and post, but some threads are worth staying dead. Don't necropost unless you really have something decent, relevant and worthwhile to say, something the other members will wanna read.