CJTF-76 Operations Spring, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJTF-76 Operations Spring, 2006

Col. Michael Coss (former G3, 10th Inf. Div. (Mountain) and CJ3 for CJTF-76) provides an overview of Operation Mountain Lion. This operation was undertaken in the early spring of 2006, shortly after 10th Mountain had assumed command of CJTF-76.

This was the same period in which British, Dutch, Canadian, and Danish forces were beginning operations in the south. As such, with all that's been bandied back n' forth about American and allied operations and performance, this article illuminates the care with which CJ3 assured integration of non-kinetic assets, airpower, and the ANA into a comprehensively successful operation at a time when eastern Afghanistan, like the south, was experiencing a significant influx of Taliban/Al Qaeda forces.

OPERATION MOUNTAIN LION- CJTF 76 In Afghanistan (MILITARY REVIEW)

These operations, to include the Korengal Valley, centered on a concept of "Clear, hold, build, and engage" throughout the affected A.Os. Airpower was present as critical mobility, ISR, and fire support assets-

"This new cohesion grew in part from plans that took advantage of lessons learned from the poorly coordinated use of airpower during early phases of OEF.2 One of those lessons was that airpower was most effective when ground forces employed and then exploited it. Through careful coordination among command and control (C2) structures, joint air forces were able to support ground troops at the required times and locations and with the right mix of assets. A responsive coalition air operations center (CAOC) in Qatar made this possible. The CAOC coordinated air operations with direct representation inside the CJTF headquarters, where an air coordination control element (ACCE) responds to the commander’s priorities. It integrated the ACCE directly into all operations to meet the commander’s priorities for air power. From ships in the Arabian Sea and bases in Afghanistan, Kuwait, Qatar, Diego Garcia, and the continental United States, joint air assets provided close air support, electronic warfare, and ISR to Soldiers and Marines on the ground."

Something for the U.S.A.F. to consider when they get around to writing their version of AirCOIN.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

I just missed this operation. I left the first week of March 2006.
    "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

S 2

Can we have the link?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

S 2

I googled and found it.

Check the thread on Transaction Relationship on the PFF.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ray Reply

I did so, Brigadier. I've also conveyed my apologies. They're sincerely meant. The above link has been working. You should not have needed to google the article.

EDIT- I see that it isn't. Whoops!

Operation Mountain Lion CJTF-76 In Afghanistan

This should get it. Odd.
          Last edited by S2; 25 Jan 08,, 22:43.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
          X