X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of Japanese officers aboard Musashi

Hey guys,

Check out this photo:

WW2DB: [Photo] Emperor Showa (Hirohito; front center) and Nagano (front, 6th from Left) aboard the Musashi, 24 Jun 1943

I was interested in finding out who some of these folks are. Well, I know Emperor Showa is in there, but I'm not sure of others. Today, I ran across this from CombinedFleet.com:

24 June 1943:Imperial Visit ("Gyoko"):
    Yokosuka. Between 1103 and 1425, MUSASHI is visited by the Emperor and other officials. It is a top-secret event, but nevertheless the Imperial flag is hoisted.

Admiral Koga hosts Hirohito and his brother (Navy Captain) Prince Takamatsu Nobuhito, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal Marquis Kido Koichi, Navy minister Admiral Shimada Shigetaro, Chief of the Naval General Staff Admiral Nagano Osami, Commander of the Yokosuka Naval Base Admiral Toyoda Soemu, Commander of the Navy Technical Department (Kampon) Vice Admiral Sugiyama Toshisuke, IJN Air Force Chief of Staff Admiral Tsukahara Nishizo, Minister of the Interior Matsudaira Tsuneo, Hirohito's Chief Aide-de-Camp Hasunuma Shigeru and Imperial Chamberlain, Admiral Hyakutake Saburo.
    So we have a nice name list here. You guys want to help me put names to faces?
    Pete

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
    So we have a nice name list here. You guys want to help me put names to faces?
    I would have thought that Koichi 'The Clock' Kido would have been easy to spot but I guess everybody had a uniform back then or something.

Anybody recognize the uniform on the gent seated in the 2nd row up from the deck, 4th from the left?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      I would have thought that Kido 'The Clock' Koichi would have been easy to spot but I guess everybody had a uniform back then or something.
      Um a little off topic on my own thread, but why is Kido "the clock"?
      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
        Um a little off topic on my own thread, but why is Kido "the clock"?
        I'm sorry about that

I'm trying to recall exactly where I read it, but his colleagues called him "Kido The Clock" because of his insistence on punctuality.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'm sorry about that

I'm trying to recall exactly where I read it, but his colleagues called him "Kido The Clock" because of his insistence on punctuality.
          That was Admiral Yamamoto's downfall also. We knew his flight schedule so well that a flock of P-38 Lightnings were waiting for him.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            That was Admiral Yamamoto's downfall also. We knew his flight schedule so well that a flock of P-38 Lightnings were waiting for him.
            And I'm still trying to remember where I read about Kido's nickname. :(

Hara's Destroyer Captain....? Nah, couldn't have been. Man this is going to drive me nuts. I thought it was Spurr's A Glorious Way To Die but apparently I was wrong there too.

Small bit of trivia: What IJN warship did Yamamoto disembark from to begin his fatal airplane journey?

Comment

Small bit of trivia: What IJN warship did Yamamoto disembark from to begin his fatal airplane journey?
              Hm, I have no idea...
              Pete

Comment

Working...
              X