X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words that shouldn't be used to describe your beer

Milwaukees Best

"But if you're an alcoholic and low on money, I highly suggest it."

"Really devoid of any real flavor other than faint corn and aluminum. Aroma of a tavern floor after fight night at the local watering hole."

"this one (like all the other cheap beers) smells and tastes of sweet malt, corn, and bread. it’s bubbly and has a bit more body than its peers. Gave me some bathroom issues, however, so be advised..."

"Even college kids with no money shun this "beer". There’s just no reason for it to exist."

"Typical adjunct laden pissy golden beer with a fizzy white head. Minuscule hop spiciness. Pretty much the same as most crappy macros. I drank the hell out of it when I was younger and must apologize to my liver for wasting its functions."

"this is nasty it tastes like wet socks and well used panties from mrs. loch ness monster, dang it pours light, the head vanishes soon after you pour it, best drunk out of the can it just proves it’s impossible for a company who makes about 70 beers to make any one beer right."

Milwaukees Best from Miller Brewing Company (SABMiller), a Pale Lager style beer: An unofficial page for Milwaukees Best from Miller Brewing Company (SABMiller) in Milwaukee , Wisconsin , United States of America

Hate to think what "Milwaukees Worst" tastes like........
    Last edited by Kansas Bear; 13 Jan 08,, 01:57.

Be safe, drink vodka.

Comment

There is a lot of great beer out there but Miller doesn't make any. Most American pilsner in a can tastes like skunk pee.(just guessing here as I have had the beer but not the pee). I am to the point where when I go out and ask the waitress what they have, God help her if "Bud, Bud lite...." are the first two things that come out of her mouth.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

NEVER EVER drink any beer our of a metal can. What you are tasting is the aluminum (or tin or iron) and not the beer.

Pour it in a glass leaving at least one-inch of foam on top. Two inches of foam? Not to worry. Let it settle (after scraping the top mount off with a tongue depressor) and finish filling. Allowing the beer to foam like that brings its flavor out.

I hate it when a bartender taps a beer for me and slowly fills it so there is no foam. Too many people think they are not getting enough beer for their money if there is foam on top. So I always order "A Milwaukee Head of foam".

Yes. I'm from Milwaukee. By the time we moved to California in 1951 we had six great brewrys going; Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Blatz, Gettleman and Braumeister.

But after my family moved out here, I guess they noticed the drop in sales so Schlitz and Miller are now in California as well.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

"Even college kids with no money shun this "beer". There’s just no reason for it to exist."
          It's one of the most popular beers of broke college students on my campus. You can get a "dirty thirty" of the "Beast" for $12. I stick to Blue Moon, Leine's Honey Weiss, and stoop to Keystone Light when I'm broke.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Beer Foam

Extracted from Technology Brewing and Malting

by

Wolfgang Kunze

The importance of foam differs greatly from beer type to beer type and from country to country. Thus in the South of England or America a beer containing relatively little foam is filled to the brim of the glass, whereas in most other European countries the glass is filled only to the calibration line to leave room for an appropriate foam to which - depending on the beer brand - more or less importance is attributed.

Nevertheless foam is an essential feature of good quality beer. One expects a stable foam on a good beer and it indicates the beer will have a good tingle.

In order to understand all possible foam problems the following must be considered

· foam formation, then
            · factors affecting foam stability (head retention), and
            · factors which may be detrimental to foam.

Foam formation

Foam occurs on dispensing the beer as a result of the formation of CO2 bubbles released by the reduction in pressure. The C02 bubbles collect surface active materials as they rise.

These surface active substances have a low surface tension, this means that within limits they can increase their surface area and also, after the bubbles have risen, they form an elastic skin around the gas bubble.

The greater the amount of dissolved C02 the more foam is formed. But foam formation is not the same as foam stability. Foam is only stable in the presence of these surface active substances.

No stable foam can be formed in a glass of mineral water since there are none of these substances present there. Thus one must always distinguish between foam formation and foam stability. It is the stability which is most important.

Foam collapse

Foam begins to collapse as soon as it is formed, but the rate of collapse is very variable. Collapse begins with the bursting and flowing back of the skins of the gas bubbles, as a result of which evaporation processes are encouraged and the foam becomes more solidified in the upper region. This makes it possible to dispense more beer into the glass after a relatively short time (after about a minute) so that the solidified foam is pushed up to form a foam crown above the glass. This cannot be obtained by using a single dispensing process.

The further solidification of the foam can be recognised by the formation of foam rings produced on the wall of the glass each time a drink is taken.
            Factors affecting foam stability

Basically there are foam positive (beneficial) and foam negative (detrimental) substances.

The main foam positive substances are the higher molecular weight protein degradation products with a molecular weight between 10,000 and 60,000 and the isohumulones. Consequently a more stable foam can be expected from a more highly hopped beer. Tannins and anthocyanogens can also improve foam, but only in their non-oxidized and uncondensed state.

On the other hand the main foam negative substances are alcohol and several fermentation by-products and also anthocyanogens and a higher concentration of amino acids.

Effects on foam stability (reported in points on the Ross and Clark scale) are therefore very variable:

From this a number of conclusions can be drawn with regard to the technological processes.

The effect of malting especially the effect of higher modification is not clearly defined. Undoubtedly higher curing temperatures favour foam formation.

The influence of mashing on the foam is, on the other hand obvious. All rests which favour the breakdown of proteins and glucans also at the same time decrease foam stability. Long rests at temperatures of 50 to 60'C certainly result in a poor foam. Higher mashing in temperatures (62 to 65'C) and longer rests at 70 to 72'C at pH 5.5 to 5.6 should be aimed for.

In the case of fermentation and maturation a negative effect of the yeast on foam can be seen if the yeast is damaged by improper storage, late harvesting or insufficient multiplication. With warm storage for a long time, or too high a pres- sure, yeast increasingly secretes degradation products which can be detected by damage to the foam.

External factors affecting foam stability

Apart from the technological factors during beer production, foam stability can be affected subsequently.

The greatest negative effect is the foam destroying effect of oils and fats which become applied to the rim of the glass as a result of food consumption and can destroy the foam in a matter of seconds. Use of clean glasses without the slightest film of fat, exchange of empty glasses with fatty rims, and use of clean polishing cloths are only a few of the conditions needed to ensure good foam stability. Even the smallest traces of fat are harmfull. Much work remains to be done to teach innkeepers - and also housewives - how to maintain beer quality

Insufficient pressure in the delivery pipes of the pub, inadequately cleaned beer pipes and unsuitable dispense tap fittings can also decrease the stability of the foam.

There are also a number of ways in which to improve foam stability. One factor is the nature of the gas forming the foam. It has been mentioned that foam is formed by the formation of gas bubbles surrounded by a liquid film. The gas can dissolve in the liquid film and the bubble then bursts. However, the solubility of different gases in the liquid is very variable. Gases which dissolve only with difficulty in the liquid build a more stable foam than those which dissolve easily. C02 is relatively soluble and so does not form as good a foam as, for example, air, which is less soluble and with which a more stable foam can be produced.

Pure nitrogen gas (N2,) in gas bubbles dissolves much less easily and is therefore an ideal propelling gas for producing a fine bubbled, very stable foam which, however, are not solidified.

Nitrogen gas is also increasingly being used for this reason in many countries for dispensing cask or keg beer. The saturation pressure relationships of the two gases (C02 and N,) must be borne in mind.

Nitrogen alters the beer flavour to make it milder, or softer, the "bite" and tingle caused by CO2 are largely lost.

An alternative way to improve foam stability is to add foam stabilizing salts of agents.

These include, primarily, iron salts (0.6 g/hl) together with reducing agents to prevent browning of the foam. Iron, nickel and zinc salts, together with high molecular weight polypeptides also stabilize foam.

Alginates, xanthan and gum arabicum also improve head retention. The dose rates recommended by the relevant suppliers must be observed exactly.

It should be pointed out that with the additions, in almost all cases there is a flavour change, mostly to a "softer" taste.

How catastrophic an uncontrolled addition can be, when thought of and used by an individual company, is illustrated by what happened a few decades ago at a Canadian brewery. A large number of drinkers of the beer from this company suffered severe liver damage, in some cases fatal. Investigations showed that for successful improvement of the foam, the brewery had added cobalt salts which were not excreted again from human organs but, as a result of enrichment in the body, caused the aforementioned terrible damage.

An important opportunity for improving the amount of foam and its stability is provided by the shape of the beer glass. Here the character of the beer type is particularly expressed - together with the philosophy of the brewery with regard to the design, decorated top, etc. Beers producing a lot of foam, such as wheat beers are always served in very tall glasses to capture the large amount of foam.

With Pils type beers one expects a very copious stable foam. This foam is best shown in narrow, tall glasses and smaller glasses (0.3 and 0.4 litre) are preferred ("better two small than one large"). In this case special emphasis is put on serving within three minutes. A low foam is first dispensed into a tilted glass, and after the calming and stiffening of the upper layer of foam a second dispense forces the stable foam crown up out of the glass. Pils beer cannot be dispensed in one movement.

Other beer types, for which less importance is attached to the foam, are served in wider glasses and sometimes - as for example at an Oktoberfest and other special events - are supplied in vessels up to a litre in size.

Beer Foam
            All about Beer foam/ froth/ head!

Cheers!
            Last edited by Ray; 13 Jan 08,, 06:49.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

This is also important for noting

What is the importance of foam and head retention?

Beer is meant to be served with a visually appealing (not excessive) head of foam. If you are ever served a beer in a glass and there is absolutely no head retention whatsoever or there are lots of bubbles sticking to the sides of the glass, this is certain indication that the glass has not been properly cleaned. Soap, detergent, grease and wax residues left over from prior use will kill foam formation and retention. You deserve better.

Bubbles of carbon dioxide escape from the beer creating foam and also carry with the pleasing aromas of craft-brewed beer. You miss all of the sensually pleasing aromatic characters of craft-brewed beer if you only drink out of the bottle. Enjoy it in your favorite glass.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Back in the end of eighties there was an Nat.Geographic article about estonia and the writer wrote about one local beer :´...then we drank local sulphuric-tasting beer which definately should stay local ´

Had one Miller once and it will remain a one-time experience
                If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Best beer in the world IMO is San Miguel light , brewed in the Phillipines to a Bavarian recipe by a Bavarian brewer ,which a lot of people think is a Spanish beer , which it is not , ? 2nd , Herforder Pils , another Great German beer .:)

Comment

Best beer in the world IMO is San Miguel light , brewed in the Phillipines to a Bavarian recipe by a Bavarian brewer ,
                    Best beer maker ever - that there is no doubt. Spent a month out there and well - got to try it all.
                    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

[QUOTE=troung;447886]Best beer maker ever - that there is no doubt. Spent a month out there and well - got to try it all.[/QUOTE]

:)) True , i have tried chang /singha , etc which is no where near as good

and most British beer , enough said about that crap .

Comment

Whilst on my travels, I recall drinking a beer called "Sweet China". Nice tasty beer, brewed with pineapple(at least according to the label). Can't find it anywhere, now.........

Comment

There's beer.....and then there's Guinness
                          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

How is the Cobra Beer?

It is a beer that is from England.

I believe one of the Indian Army General's son is the owner of this!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              NEVER EVER drink any beer our of a metal can. What you are tasting is the aluminum (or tin or iron) and not the beer.
                              NEVER EVER PUT beer in a can in the first place! Thats barbaric! Its a crime against beerity!

Comment

Working...
                              X