• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hukbalahap Insurrection

For your COIN reading pleasure-

The Hukbalahap Insurrection-CMH
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

S 2

It adds to my repertoire! ;)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Ray Reply

Brigadier,

One of America's unsung COIN operations, it was conducted early in the cold war and researched here in 1986- a period where COIN was largely dismissed as a critical element of our operational posture.

It's a very interesting read.:)
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Thanks S-2.

Something for us to chew on on our history board.

Comment

adroth Reply

My apologies. This operation was thoroughly dependant upon the Filipino people for it's success. I'm afraid that my comment reads as though the operation was independant of Filipino considerations when that couldn't be further from the truth.:)

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            My apologies. This operation was thoroughly dependant upon the Filipino people for it's success. I'm afraid that my comment reads as though the operation was independant of Filipino considerations when that couldn't be further from the truth.:)
            No worries Mr S. Heavy US involvement in the operation is relatively common knowledge in the Philippine military-enthusiast community.

Side note: The Philippine Army Scout Rangers (similar to the US Rangers) and Philippine Marines trace their origins to this period.

Comment

Just a Quickie

I'm a Filipino myself and I'm pretty aware of the Huks. Though they were very much effective in harassing the Japanese during the Second World War, it doesn't surprise me that they eventually became leftist brigands and bandits.

Here's a funny thing though. I recall reading from a book about declassified CIA operations that counter-insurgency agents once played on the Huks sense of the supernatural. They nabbed the last man from a passing patrol of rebels and punctured him in the neck with a blade then drained all his blood out. When his comrades found him, they were spooked of the presence of a vampira or vampire.

Not surprisingly, the rebels fled the region.

Now, the Huks have morphed into something far more threatening and violent...

The NPA and the Abu Sayyaff...

Happy hunting to all those brave men in the field!

Comment

Originally posted by Demosthenes View Post
                Now, the Huks have morphed into something far more threatening and violent...

The NPA and the Abu Sayyaff...
                One could indeed argue that the New People's Army descended from the Huks.

But the Abu Sayyaff . . . I'd say the have more affinity for the juramentados that Gen Pershing faced during the American occupation of the Philippines . . . the folks who, according to legend, prompted the US to switch to the .45 cal M1911.

Comment

Working...
                X