Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A game that few naval nuts may enjoy

NAVYFIELD Community Site

This links leads to the site for an online RPG game called Navyfield. It is completely free of any sort of pay-per-month subscription and, while the download takes a good few hours, is a worthy simulation of WWII naval combat. Of course, some things have been modified for balancing and for gameplay, but it essentially a naval simulator. Using 2D isometric graphics, the game displays epic naval battles circa 1939 to 1945. The game completely ignores politics on a whole, and there is no gameplay associated with history other than the ships and technology level. Because politics play no part in this game, it allows you to take part in all sorts of fantasy match-ups of ships like, say, a Bismarck-class batteship vs a Yamato-class or an Iowa vs a Bismarck or many variations. Players start out on a completely generic "Neutral" vessel and later can join one of four navies. The Royal Navy, USN, Kriegsmarine and Imperial Japanese Navy. Well, enough words, how about a screenshot?

Here we see two battleships and a battleship and heavy cruiser exchanging gunfire. One of the two BBs has been sunk.

Here's an unfortunate cruiser which just ate up a broadside from a surrounding group of heavier ships.

The game is full of historical inaccuracy. Planes don't have nearly as high a success rate, and i'm pretty sure torpedoes were never deployed by destroyers darting out behind a BB wall, shooting off a veritable wall of torpedoes then darting behind. In fact, i'm pretty sure "torp walls", as the players have come to call them, didn't happen at all during WWII. Additionally, there are some issues with the handling of ships. The Iowa moves far too slowly for a 30+ knot ship. Because of balancing issues, they reduced a lot of 'fast' battleship speeds to little over 12 knots. As well as that, for some reason ships turn on their central axis rather than from the stern, which is simply incorrect. But, ignoring these little quirks, Navyfield is a fun online game for any naval nuts like myself.

been playing it for awhile, recently got my first town class cruiser :D

innacurate but fun.

Comment

Nice ship, i'm working my way through a County class cruiser, just six more levels and I can pick up my first BB, a Revenge! My ship's called the HMS Fisher, after Admiral Jackie Fisher.

Comment

mine is called HMS H Enfield

naming mine after comedians, armour is expensive though :-(

Comment

Originally posted by HoratioNelson View Post
          Nice ship, i'm working my way through a County class cruiser, just six more levels and I can pick up my first BB, a Revenge! My ship's called the HMS Fisher, after Admiral Jackie Fisher.
          Build them first. Build them fast. Each one better than the last.

-- Jackie Fisher, First Sea Lord, Royal Navy.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

That's my favourite Fisher quote. If I was a 1SL or Secretary of the Navy I'd base my entire ship-building strategy around that quote.

Comment

Working...
            X