PDA

View Full Version : New WAB features poll

Ironduke
10 Jan 08,, 02:19
Fellow members,

I would like to gauge interest in adding a couple of features to the World Affairs Board. One would be a blog, probably WordPress, in which members could volunteer or asked to write for.

WordPress › Blog Tool and Weblog Platform (http://wordpress.org/)

The second would be a PhotoPost, which is a photo gallery made for vBulletin software that we use.

PhotoPost Photo Sharing PHP Gallery with vBulletin Forum Integration (http://www.photopost.com/)

Any other recommendations would be welcome as well.

Feanor
10 Jan 08,, 02:23
What about a reputation system? Sorry if this is the wrong place to suggest, but it seems to work well on other forums.

Ironduke
10 Jan 08,, 02:24
A reputation system is an option vBulletin feature, but I never saw the point of it. This isn't a popularity contest. ;)

dalem
10 Jan 08,, 05:32
These seem like good ideas to try out. I like 'em.

-dale

JAD_333
10 Jan 08,, 07:58
A worthwhile venture, IMO. I should have voted for both. But I voted just for the blog because it struck me as the most interesting of the two.

Elbmek
10 Jan 08,, 08:21
I am not interested in a blog, or whatever its called. They have been the subject of much degradation in the media, usally student ones I might add. I see no need for such a thing.

Ironduke
10 Jan 08,, 08:42
I am not interested in a blog, or whatever its called. They have been the subject of much degradation in the media, usally student ones I might add. I see no need for such a thing.
I'm sure our writings would be vastly superior to the various blogs that are degraded in the media.

mike nickeas
10 Jan 08,, 09:21
thanks Ironduke

Mike

Debbie
10 Jan 08,, 16:07
I voted for both - try it and see if we like it.

Ray
10 Jan 08,, 17:21
Worth an experiment!

JCT
10 Jan 08,, 17:31
Both. Maintaining a quality blog is a lot of work though.

Shek
10 Jan 08,, 17:41

Elmbek,
There are many potential ways to use a blog. See the link in this post for an example, http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/world-wars/42248-world-war-i-blog-pseudo-real-time.html.

Feanor
10 Jan 08,, 19:32
I'd use neither so I voted neither. I'm not into complicated features.

RustyBattleship
10 Jan 08,, 19:45
I don't care either way or the other. I've even limited the number of threads I partake in on this board.

Went to my cardiologist Tuesday for regular check up. My heart is fine and my lungs are clear. The medications prescribed are correct for now. However, they have ordered me not to take Naprocene for the inflamation in my ankles anymore.

Why? I asked.

Because you have a chronic kidney disease.

I do? Since when? The only thing I was ever told about was a cyst in my left kidney after I passed a kidney stone 25 years ago.

So they took another blood test.

They called the following day and I have gout, which is why my ankles hurt so much. So another prescription med has been ordered.

Sure as hell sucks getting old.

ArloRay
10 Jan 08,, 20:41
Bringing in a blog format would be a logical add on and its success depending on if it can be implemented to co-exist.

Over-all, however I would favor a photo gallery type add-on. If this is a place where you have people from around the world. I think if people were to have a place to post athentic photo's by authentic people it would bring in added value to just written words.

Julie
10 Jan 08,, 21:09
Both. Maintaining a quality blog is a lot of work though.Heh...you've never ventured into any of our food fight threads, have you? To WABers, blogging would be a piece of cake ! :biggrin:

I'd use neither so I voted neither. I'm not into complicated features.It would expand your horizons, build your character, and presto ! You would have a reputation....;) Just a thought. :)

Ironduke
11 Jan 08,, 00:51
We'd probably have something like five people writing for the blog. It would be a stark contrast from the forum. Blogs are more journalistic in nature, though people can reply to blog entries.

Julie
11 Jan 08,, 01:27
We'd probably have something like five people writing for the blog. It would be a stark contrast from the forum. Blogs are more journalistic in nature, though people can reply to blog entries.If nominations can be made for writers, I would like to nominate Dale. :)

texasjohn
11 Jan 08,, 01:31
And Ray, our very own Postmaster General!!:biggrin:

Ironduke
11 Jan 08,, 05:49
I've been experimenting with format at my URL until the time it gets imported to a WAB subdomain. I installed the WordPress blog. Thing is though, I totally suck at design, layout, etc. We could really use somebody with experience in website development who'd be willing to lend a hand.

World Affairs Board Blog (http://www.strategicaffairs.org/)

reasonmclucus
11 Jan 08,, 07:03
Both would be useful additions. This board has a good collection of members who could provide useful blog entries particularly on military related subjects. One advantage of blog entries is that they can be easier to link to from other sites.

JCT
11 Jan 08,, 07:38
Heh...you've never ventured into any of our food fight threads, have you?

I steer clear of all food fights and butter cookies...

Knaur Amarsh
11 Jan 08,, 11:06
Although I never post on the site because my knowledge of World Affairs is neglegible compared to many of the members here,yet i enjoy browsing through the site and reading discussions regularly.

I have voted for both blog and gallery.I can think of a lot of members whose views on various topics I would like to read in more detail,and I am sure there are plenty of people out there who think the same way.

That being,there should be a regular,fool-proof monitoring system in place.Wouldnt want some people promoting their own controversial and prejudiced personal view while being affiliated with WAB,would we?Perhaps only senior members with military/political expertise should be allowed to write......

glyn
11 Jan 08,, 18:50
Sure as hell sucks getting old.

But infinitely preferable to any alternative, Rusty!:)

JAD_333
11 Jan 08,, 19:11
But infinitely preferable to any alternative, Rusty!:)

Alternative? What alternatives are there?:))

Knaur Amarsh
13 Jan 08,, 17:23
Alternative? What alternatives are there?:))

Dying?:redface:

JAD_333
13 Jan 08,, 19:50
Dying?:redface:

Obviously, you are not over 60.:P And your name isn't Glyn, but I appreciate your pointing out the obvious.:)

glyn
13 Jan 08,, 20:46
Obviously, you are not over 60.:P And your name isn't Glyn, but I appreciate your pointing out the obvious.:)

If somebody were to offer me the Elixir of Life I would send them away as I have seen the best of life. The world was a nicer place in my youth than it is today I'm sorry to say. Anyway the aforementioned Elixir belongs in fairy tales.:)

Julie
14 Jan 08,, 04:05
ermmm....we can do fairytales. :P

JAD_333
14 Jan 08,, 06:10
If somebody were to offer me the Elixir of Life I would send them away as I have seen the best of life. The world was a nicer place in my youth than it is today I'm sorry to say. Anyway the aforementioned Elixir belongs in fairy tales.:)

It seems that way to me too, but I keep having my doubts. Recently I came across some writings from mid-1840s wherein the author, then in his declining years, was lamenting the good old days of the 1790s. Makes one think; perhaps the good old days are always in the process of being made. As for long life, don't you find it rather amusing to watch the new generations reinvent the wheel? Maybe that's worth living for. I'll take the Elizer.:biggrin:

JAD_333
14 Jan 08,, 06:13
ermmm....we can do fairytales. :P

No doubt Dale would agree with you.:biggrin: