St Peter at Antakya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Peter at Antakya

Does anyone have information on this church post 1100 CE up to modern times?

Remind me next summer, and I will send you a book of this church. I will purchase it for you when I visit Antakya in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ucar View Post
      Remind me next summer, and I will send you a book of this church. I will purchase it for you when I visit Antakya in the summer.

You don't have to do that.

Comment

Antakya Turkey Photo Gallery by Dick Osseman at pbase.com

here it is. found these pics. in the net.

Antakya St. Peter was here photo - Dick Osseman photos at pbase.com

Saint pierre

Saint pierre

Saint pierre

can you inform us about this church?
        Last edited by Big K; 07 Jan 08,, 20:05.
        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Big K View Post
          can you inform us about this church?

Do you know if any other Orthodox or Catholic churches that are in Antakya may have had the name St. Peter?

Is there the possibility that the Cathedral of St. Peter mentioned in Runciman's book, "A History of the Crusades Volume 1", the same shown in your pictures??

Basically, trying to confirm the Cathedral of St. Peter in the book, with the Cathedral of St. Peter in real life. Then trying to find a history of the cathedral.

Comment

Saint Pierre Church in Turkish Wiki: Saint Pierre Kilisesi - Vikipedi

The Cave Church of St. Peter (also the Grotto of St. Peter; Turkish Sen Piyer Kilisesi) is an ancient cave church with a stone facade, located just outside Antioch (modern Antakya), Turkey.

This cave is widely believed to have been dug by the Apostle Peter himself as a place for the early Christian community of Antioch to meet, and thus to be the very first Christian church.

Whether or not this is so, St. Peter (and St. Paul) did preach in Antioch around 50 AD and a church had been established in Antioch by as early as 40 AD.

Antioch became a major center for planning and organizing the apostles' missionary efforts, and it was the base for Paul's earliest missionary journeys. Famously, it was the inhabitants of Antioch that first called Jesus' followers "Christians" (Acts 11:26).

The attractive stone façade of the church was built by Crusaders, who identified the grotto during their rule of Antioch from 1098 to 1268.
            Another old Antiochian church: Church of Antioch - OrthodoxWiki

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
              Saint Pierre Church in Turkish Wiki: Saint Pierre Kilisesi - Vikipedi

If you would translate that for me, I'd be more than willing to make an English version in wikipedia. There currently isn't any mention of Church of St Peter at Antakya in English.

Comment

Here's the Translation

The Saint Peter Church is composed of a cave carved into the mountainside on Mount Starius with a depth of 13 m, a width of 9,5 m and a height of 7m. This cave which has been used by the first Christians in Antakya region for their secret meetings, is considered to be one of Chistianity's oldest churches.

It can be traced from the Bible's "Works of Prophets" section (11:25-27) where Barnabas travels to Tarsus to bring Pavlos back to Antakya, and that they worked for one year to spread Christianity, and that the people who believed in this religion were called "Christians" for the first time in Antakya region. In addition to this information, in the letter written by Pavlos to Galatians (Galatians 3:11-21) Christianity's conditions at that time was discussed with Petrus whoe visits Antakya. The Christian heritage considers Petrus as the founder of The Church of Antakya, and the first priest of thr Chrisitian population that was established there.

Only some pieces of ground mossaics, and traces of frescos on the right side of the alter have been preserved to date from the early period of the church. It is thought that the tunnel inside that opens to the mountain side, served the Christians to evacuate the church in case of sudden raids and attacks. Water that seeps from rocks to be gathered inside the drinking trough has been used for baptism ceremonies. The collection of water, which visitors drank and collected to bring to those who were ill, in the belief that it was healing and curative, has lessened as a result of recent earthquakes.

On top of the stone altar located in the middle of the church, is a stonework platform that was placed in memory of the Saint Peter's Platform Holiday which was celebrated every 21st of February in Antakya. The marble Saint Peter statue on top of the altar has been placed there in 1932. Crusaders who captured Antakya in 1098 have lengthened the church by a few meters and connected it with two arches to the facade. This facade has been rebuilt in 1863, by the Capuchin Friars who were doing restorative works on the orders of Pope Pius IX. Napoleon III has also contributed to the restoration. The remains on the left hand side of the church enterance belong to colonnades that used to stand in front of the church facade.

It is known that the garden of the church has been used as a semetary for some hundreds of years. Graves and burials have also been located inside the church, especially around the altar.

Although it is a museum today, it is possible to perform ceremonies inside the church under the inspection of Museum Management, by obtaining a permission from the Office of the Provincial Governor.

Comment

To K.B.

Please correct Biblical references and names as necessary since I only did a straight translation.

Comment

Ok.

Church of St Peter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linked directly from the Antakya page.

Quite similar to the Turkish page, except now those of us illiterate in Turkish can read it in English.:)

Comment

Working...
                    X