For UK: Channel 4 programme on Able Archer '83

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For UK: Channel 4 programme on Able Archer '83

Here is an opportunity to see how we laymen talk of one of the significant but popularly obscure moments of the Cold War, November 1983. Shown on Channel 4 at 7:30pm and repeated on C4+1 at 8:30pm. Is it the closest point to WWIII?
    HD Ready?

I watched it. Very interesting with lots of new facts aired for the first time. The real hero was the Soviet colonel who kept turning the alarm systems off, and ignored the Launch Missiles order. His reward was to be dismissed from the services. He should have been awarded the Nobel peace prize
    as he single handedly prevented World War 3 from taking place!
    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Hmm Stanislav Petrov? He definitely deserves praise for not only keeping his head cool but knowing it would probably destroy him - as it happened, he was kicked out of the service - but would they launch a full retaliatory strike for five bogeys anyway? As I understand it, it's only launched on impact, i.e. confirmed nuclear attack.

I thought Rainer Rupp deserves both a commendation and a slap - he told the truth, that NATO was not preparing for an attack - but his comments that the Americans would like to lock him away forever instead of just imprison him for seven years is just ingrate pissiness considering that the Soviets executed his counterparts.
      HD Ready?

Comment

Dang! I would love to see that show.

Can you give me the exact title of the program?
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Dang! I would love to see that show.

Can you give me the exact title of the program?
          Certainly :)
          1983: The Brink of Apocalypse

Comment

One word of warning, though:

The word 'nuclear' obviously comes up every three microseconds, and the narrator pronounces it... 'nucular'. 'Twas like a sandpaper to my ears. And it wasn't GWBush narrating but a fairly common female narrator on Britain's programmes.
            HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
              One word of warning, though:

The word 'nuclear' obviously comes up every three microseconds, and the narrator pronounces it... 'nucular'. 'Twas like a sandpaper to my ears. And it wasn't GWBush narrating but a fairly common female narrator on Britain's programmes.
              You are right. It grated, and spoiled an otherwise pleasant speaking voice. Unfortunately far too many people on TV and radio seem to get the simple word wrong!

Comment

Thanks Glyn :)

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
                The word 'nuclear' obviously comes up every three microseconds, and the narrator pronounces it... 'nucular'.
                I believe it was Ike that popularized that mispronunciation. Or at least, that's what I was told many moons ago.

Doesn't matter, I'll probably never get to see the program anyway. :(

Unless of course somebody TiVo'ed it and will put it on eMule for me
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                X