East Timor Escalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Timor Escalation

I'm curious to find out if anyone believes that the events in East Timor in 1999 could've escalated into a direct conflict between Indonesian and Australian forces.

If so, what could the cause(s) be? How would such a conflict unfold? How would it end? And what consequences would there be?

Also, are there any other points in recent history where Australia and Indonesia could've gone to war againt each other?

Cheers.

Originally posted by Matt_E View Post
    I'm curious to find out if anyone believes that the events in East Timor in 1999 could've escalated into a direct conflict between Indonesian and Australian forces.

If so, what could the cause(s) be? How would such a conflict unfold? How would it end? And what consequences would there be?

Also, are there any other points in recent history where Australia and Indonesia could've gone to war againt each other?

Cheers.
    Yes. The first 48hrs were critical. Impossible to cover in here in any meaningful detail.

A short squadron of F-111's was running hot at Shergold BOB and were tasked to go to Jakarta if the Indons started to ramp up their end. A couple of Collins were also running "loose".

The consequences were that sanity prevailed and we are both significantly closer to each other in numerous areas. Again, its a huge topic and been covered off in various other forums. (I'm not trying to be contrary, it really is a huge topic thats been done to death by various people who were involved at the time). There is a lot of historical and personal comment which is worth looking for first - and then ask more questions.

Yes - Konfrontassi - not specifically against australia as UK, Aust and NZ committed specops and specials to various areas in support of the Malays and Singaporeans.
    Linkeden:
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
    X