Springfield Rifle - Civil War era...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield Rifle - Civil War era...

Does anyone here have one? Or an actual working replica? I've been thinking about buying one and was wondering how folks liked them?

Tibbetts
    War is the one constant in Human history. Too deny that, is too deny our vary nature. -- Me

Originally posted by Tibbetts
    Does anyone here have one? Or an actual working replica? I've been thinking about buying one and was wondering how folks liked them?

Tibbetts
    Ive been trying to get one for years, havent had any luck.

Comment

Tibbetts
      My son and I are ACW re-enactors. We're both buying one each sometime this year.

We've been using our pair of Zouave rifle-muskets. But they're two-band, and almost all 'line' units require three-band weapons.

Comment

I've always wanted to own one and learn to shoot it. I'm a historian and from Maine, and I grew up hearing of the 20th Maine Volunteers at Little Round Top. So, I figure, if I own one, I'll be a lot closer to them. You know, to be a part of my past and all.

Not sure if that came out right, but, I tried.

Tibbetts
        War is the one constant in Human history. Too deny that, is too deny our vary nature. -- Me

Comment

I've always wanted to own one and learn to shoot it. I'm a historian and from Maine, and I grew up hearing of the 20th Maine Volunteers at Little Round Top. So, I figure, if I own one, I'll be a lot closer to them. You know, to be a part of my past and all.

Not sure if that came out right, but, I tried.

Tibbetts
          I completely followed that, man, and I agree that it's a worthy pursuit. It's why my son and I are re-enactors. (I had an ancestor in the 154th Tennessee at Shiloh.)

Comment

20th Maine Volunteers at Little Round Top.
            They were they stuff of a legend ... and deserving of a movie alone rather then a little part in one.

Comment

My son-in-law has one that he inherited from his grandfather, (I have no idea of how a Civil War rifle ended up in Denmark, might be fun looking into it,) but unfortunatly even though it's in perfect shape, the bayonet is missing. Have tried to look for one on my trips to the States, but so far no luck.
              Any ideas???
              When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman
                I completely followed that, man, and I agree that it's a worthy pursuit. It's why my son and I are re-enactors. (I had an ancestor in the 154th Tennessee at Shiloh.)
                154th Tennessee: Were they at Gettysburg as well? Who's division were they with?

Tibbetts

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202
                  They were they stuff of a legend ... and deserving of a movie alone rather then a little part in one.
                  I agree. Wonder if they will ever do one. 'Cause i'd love to see it myself. The 20th Maine was in more than just the Gettysburg battle.

Or, maybe they should do a movie of Colonel Joshua Chamberlain's Civil War years. Because, after Gettysburg, he was given command of a Brigade. That would be interesting to see.

Tibbetts

Comment

even if you could get one, where would you get a hold of thee percussion caps?

or are you just buying it to look at?
                    "I'm against picketting, but i dont know how to show it"

Comment

...maybe they should do a movie of Colonel Joshua Chamberlain's Civil War years. Because, after Gettysburg, he was given command of a Brigade. That would be interesting to see. - Tibbetts
                      Maybe base it upon Willard M. Wallace's book Soul of The Lion. A biography of Chamberlain. Damm good read!
                      When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

154th Tennessee: Were they at Gettysburg as well? Who's division were they with?

Tibbetts
                        No, they were with the Army of Tennessee the whole time. At Shiloh, they were with Cheatham's Division, Johnson's Brigade. My ancestor (George Washington Verble, unknown rank) was listed as "Missing" a few days after the Battle of Shiloh. Nothing was ever heard about him after that, but his company commander (who had known him and his family all his life) wrote back to his people to tell them that he had gotten pneumonia sometime during the battle (probably the night between the first and second days during a torrential rain), and he was unable to keep the pace of the march back to Corinth. As Federal cavalry was thought to be pursuing, there was no chance to treat him, and he was left at a roadside hospital that was to be turned over to Federal surgeons when they came up - but they never did.

My uncle has that letter. Not-so-funny punchline: it is in a shoebox with some other family documents, completely unprotected from deterioration. I have tried to get my uncle to give it to the state archives (which it CERTAINLY qualifies for, due to its historical significance), but he won't consider it. I have no idea what condition it may be in now.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by griftadan

Percussion caps and ammo are no problem to get at all. I shoot my Zouave on occasion, and I intend to fire the Springfield when I get it, too. (Same caliber for both - .58.)

Comment

Originally posted by Amled
                            Maybe base it upon Willard M. Wallace's book Soul of The Lion. A biography of Chamberlain. Damm good read!
                            My favorite story from the life of this fascinating man was of him leading the detail at Appomatox that saw the Confederates formally surrender - stack arms and furl flags. When General Gordon's Confederates marched in, it was the hardest thing those proud men could be asked to do - but do it they must.

Chamberlain wrote:
                            "Instructions had been given, and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment, in succession, gives the soldier's salutation, from the 'order arms' to the old 'carry'--the marching salute. Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual--honor answering honor".(30)

He was later criticized for this recognition of martial valor to former enemies that were once again countrymen, and his magnanimty endeared him to the South. And if ANYbody had the right to do it on his own authority, it was Major General Joshua Chamberlain, who had been severely wounded - almost killed - at the head of his troops a few months before...and then he went right back into the field as soon as he was able.

What a helluva man.

Comment

Originally posted by griftadan

I suppose i'd have to have them specially made. Cause I don't intend to just mount it on a wall and leave it. ;)

Tibbetts

Comment

Working...
                              X