Service Academies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Academies

Greetings again, everybody. My apologies if there is already a place for this but I could not find anything like that.

Anyway, my name is Sam and I'm looking to go to any one of the service academies, specifically West Point and Annapolis. What I'm looking for is some help to flesh out my resume. Here are the basic facts:

Name: Sam L.
    Birthdate: Nov. 2 '91
    Attends: A small private high school

My credentials (by the time I graduate).

-4 Years of English
    -3 Years of Foreign Language
    -5 years of Science
    -4 years of History
    -Shakespeare; Speech; Expository Writing; Ancient Greek History; Health; P.E. and two more I have yet to decide (Electives)
    - IFR Rated Pilot
    - Member of the Civil Air Patrol
    -Played Varsity Football in 9th, 11th and 12th grades
    -Played Tennis

Clubs
    INTERACT
    SADD
    Math Club
    Challenge 20/20
    School Newspaper

Besides studying hard, what other advice can you guys give me? Anything will be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by FarSide; 20 Dec 07,, 20:35.

Originally posted by FarSide View Post
    Greetings again, everybody. My apologies if there is already a place for this but I could not find anything like that.

Anyway, my name is Sam and I'm looking to go to any one of the service academies, specifically West Point and Annapolis. What I'm looking for is some help to flesh out my resume. Here are the basic facts:

Name: Sam L.
    Birthdate: Nov. 2 '91
    Attends: A small private high school

My credentials (by the time I graduate).

-4 Years of English
    -3 Years of Foreign Language
    -5 years of Science
    -4 years of History
    -Shakespeare; Speech; Expository Writing; Ancient Greek History; Health; P.E. and two more I have yet to decide (Electives)
    - IFR Rated Pilot
    - Member of the Civil Air Patrol
    -Played Varsity Football in 9th, 11th and 12th grades
    -Played Tennis

Besides studying hard, what other advice can you guys give me? Anything will be helpful. Thanks.
    FarSide,

Visit the admissions sites for both academies (here's the USMA admissions site, USMA Admissions: Home) to find out what the "average" cadet did in high school. What you will be judged on is potential to be a commissioned officer, and so they will look at three areas:

1. Academics - class rank and standardized test scores, i.e., SAT/ACT
    2. Physical - for USMA, there is a specific Physical Aptitude Exam (PAE), and you will be evaluated on your participation in varsity sports
    3. Leadership - where have you shown commitment and leadership? For example, Eagle Scout is one of the best things to have as it shows the ability to see a lenghty process to its conclusion. A smattering of 1 year sports is simply resume building.

I know that USMA has admissions liason officers throughout the country - contact your local MALO (Military Academy Liason Officer) and they will help advise you on the admissions process. If you don't know who your MALO is, contact the admissions office through the website.

Best of luck.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Hi Farside, if you are a junior in high school, then I have a few suggestions to add to Shek's excellent advice.

1-West Point's Summer Leaders Seminar is a great program. Look at that page on the West Point website. USNA offers a similar seminar. The USMA Registration has started for this coming summer.

2-Boys State is another excellent summer leadership program. Each state has a program sponsored by the American Legion. Let your guidance office know if you are interested in attending. Here is the website: http://www.legion.org/section=prog_e...content=evt_bs

3-After reading (and maybe rereading) everything on the Admissions pages for both academies, especially West Point's Prospectus (USMA Admissions: Apply to USMA: Prospectus), schedule a visit to both academies.

4-Go to your Senators' and your Congressman's websites and read their pages on applying to the service academies. Each Member of Congress (MOC) has an application and may offer a Service Academy Information Day this spring. They may also have suggestions for leadership training; for example, a Georgia Senator suggests the Congresssional Youth Leadership Council: CYLC:: Congressional Youth Leadership Council.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys for your help, I'll get right on that.

I also cant believe I forgot to add my clubs I've been a member of, that was stupid of me.

Comment

Working...
        X