What exactly was the Raj?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly was the Raj?

Sounds stupid I know but I'm trying to figure out exactly what the world "Raj" referred to.

Is this is a Hindi word for occupation? How did the word Raj come about to signify the British colonization of India?

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

it comes from Rāṣṭra I think which stands for nation/(king)dom/realm. It is comparable to the german word "reich" (without the nazi context).

Comment

Closest translation to "Raj" is "Rule", though still a bit off. There is no direct one word translation to english. Closest translation I can think of to "British Raj" is "British Rule". A King in Hindi is called "Raja" and his Power, Kingdom and his Subjects put together is described as his "Raj".

Still not the most accurate translation, but the best I could do. It is quite complexed to translate as for some words, there are no equivalent words in the English vocabulary. Though Tarek also explained it quite well.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Sounds stupid I know but I'm trying to figure out exactly what the world "Raj" referred to.

Is this is a Hindi word for occupation? How did the word Raj come about to signify the British colonization of India?

It does not mean "occupation".

It means "Rule" or "Reign" in most Indian language.

It was and possibly still is, very chic for old India hands to sprinkle their English syntax with Indian words. Hence, the words "British Raj" has come into acceptance as and of the British colonial time in India.

This type of English is known as "Hobson Jobson".

Sometimes, Indian words are wrongly used as I discovered in a British forum i.e. the word "dhobi". In Hindi, it means a 'washerman'. But it was being used to signify a "wash (clothes)" as 'my wife does my dhobi during the weekends'!
        Last edited by Ray; 08 Dec 07,, 05:18.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
          ".

Sometimes, Indian words are wrongly used as I discovered in a British forum i.e. the word "dhobi". In Hindi, it means a 'washerman'. But it was being used to signify a "wash (clothes)" as 'my wife does my dhobi during the weekends'!
          Yes i recall a slap on the wrist off you for that mistake by me many moons ago kimo sahbi :P

Comment

Can anyone suggest a link between Australasian 'durry', meaning cigarette, and the Indian carpet? the only connection I could think of was roll your own ciggy's and rolled up carpet but it seemed a bit of a stretch.
            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

And Ray, I often sit on the verandah of my bungalow in my pyjamas.
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                What a Linguist you are Pari:))

Comment

Especially when the sheep are grazing nearby!
                  Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I think verandah is a Portuguese word, like the Bengali word 'Janla' meaning a window is a Portuguese word!

And today's Indian Languages are sprinkled with English words. My own maid servant who is an illiterate tells me to have "poteins" (proteins), not have to have "poplems" (problems) etc!

It is making languages richer in content!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Can anyone suggest a link between Australasian 'durry', meaning cigarette, and the Indian carpet? the only connection I could think of was roll your own ciggy's and rolled up carpet but it seemed a bit of a stretch.
                      I think you are right that it is because the durry is rolled up at the end of the day and one then goes for a well deserved break i.e. sleep!

Google Hobson Jobson and there are interesting commentaries and meanings!

Great to know that you know so much of Indian words!

Makes the British Indian relationship a pleasure to remember!

Sad that the modern Indian looks to the Americans for culture instead of the British! I read an interesting article on that but failed to save it on my computer. I am from the old School and have an affinity for all things British!

I know it is a dangerous thing to admit so in a US forum! ;)
                      Last edited by Ray; 08 Dec 07,, 18:27.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I think verandah is a Portuguese word,
                        A Portuguese word??? How on earth does a Portuguese word end up in the Punjabi language?

Comment

I think you are right that it is because the durry is rolled up at the end of the day and one then goes for a well deserved break i.e. sleep!

Google Hobson Jobson and there are interesting commentaries and meanings!

Great to know that you know so much of Indian words!

Makes the British Indian relationship a pleasure to remember!

Sad that the modern Indian looks to the Americans for culture instead of the British! I read an interesting article on that but failed to save it on my computer. I am from the old School and have an affinity for all things British!

I know it is a dangerous thing to admit so in a US forum! ;)
                          Good gawd! The British have thoroughly brainwashed you in their re-education camp! You need to be de-brainwash and accept the truth: British goods are much more crappier than American goods. :)) Except for the Land rover of course!

Comment

Samantha Fox or Celine Dion .... I'll take Celine only because I don't like sleeping in the dog house.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                              Except for the Land rover of course!
                              Well, even Land Rover is owned by an American company, i.e. Ford. And if all goes right, Tata should be its next owner. ;)

ps: the other main bidder is Mahindra by the way.
                              Last edited by Tronic; 09 Dec 07,, 04:40.

Comment

Working...
                              X