PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian Uprising 1956

Silent Hunter
07 Dec 07,, 15:43
I'm watching The Company at the moment, which has a section around the Hungarian Uprising.

Two questions:
1. Did the rebels actually massacre those loyal to the communist regime?
2. Did the AVH seriously leave people for hours up to their shoulders in cold, dirty water?

Feanor
07 Dec 07,, 17:56
1. Did the rebels actually massacre those loyal to the communist regime?

Yes. Many of the rebels were former Nazi's and there is some evidence that the whole thing was supported by America through the GDR.

lwarmonger
09 Dec 07,, 07:12
Yes. Many of the rebels were former Nazi's and there is some evidence that the whole thing was supported by America through the GDR.

We really did no such thing. It wasn't in our interest to support a revolution in Hungary (if we wanted to avoid war with the Soviet Union... and we did), and we made it clear to the rest of Eastern Europe that we wouldn't support them if they were to rise up against the Soviets.

Personally, I think that 1956 would have been an excellent time to intervene in Eastern Europe, however Eisenhower apparently did not think so.

bugs
09 Dec 07,, 17:51
Personally, I think that 1956 would have been an excellent time to intervene in Eastern Europe, however Eisenhower apparently did not think so.

Military intervention ? In 1956 ? please elaborate because conventionaly i dont think it would stand a chance...:confused:

RustyBattleship
02 Jan 08,, 06:51
There are a couple of things I've been told that would really be too controversial on this forum. Too many book experts and not enough people who were there. And I hate to get into those kinds of arguments.

I wasn't there, of course, but my wife was. She was born in Kaposvar and also lived in Pecs. They lived in many places because the Soviets kept moving them around. Her grandfather was one of the wealthier men in Kaposvar owning one of the two bakery chains and also had his own grain fields. He had a 40 room house. When the Soviets decided to Commune the house he wound up in the basement servant's quarters that at least had a bathroom. The rest of the family (including my wife at age 10, her brother at age 11 and their mother) were thrown out.

Since her mother used to read children's stories on radio, she knew the layout of the radio station. When the revolution came she helped take over the station and broadcast anti-communist (but pro-Hungarian) announcements. When the Soviets counter-attacked with massive reinforcements, they had to escape.

At one house where they were to get escape information they had to duck for cover under a spray of machinegun bullets.

As they were crossing the last stream toward Austria and were climbing up the far bank, a Soviet soldier opened fire on them. My wife was being carried in one arm of her mother and one of the bullets went between their heads clipping off hair of both of them.

Just think. A woman with two children as targets.

I have vowed that I will not register my weapons until I find that Russian SOB and make him eat his.

glyn
02 Jan 08,, 20:11
[QUOTE=RustyBattleship;443458]
As they were crossing the last stream toward Austria and were climbing up the far bank, a Soviet soldier opened fire on them. My wife was being carried in one arm of her mother and one of the bullets went between their heads clipping off hair of both of them.

Just think. A woman with two children as targets.

The one who gave the orders to open fire was the most wicked of all.:mad: