Military Museums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Museums

Since there's a thread on Naval Museums, I figured I'd do one for the others.

A good one in the UK that I'd recommend is the Kelvedon Hatch nuclear bunker, just outside London. It's a former Cold War Regional Government bunker, with a lot of authentic equipment in. It's been used for a few TV programmes.

They have a website here.

You've got to like this:
    http://static.flickr.com/117/304374781_e13dd9abaf_m.jpg

In Lancaster county, Pennsylvania I went to an edged weapon museum that featured American wartime edged weapons from the American Revolution to modern day NAVY issue survival blades as well as a few deactivated wartime firearms. I would reccomend it to any military buff out there. The best part is that the once you have gone through the small museum, the gift shop contains used wartime knives and other weapons such as civil war-era cannon ball shrapnel, deactivated grenades and flechettes. The guy who owns it knows his stuff and is incredibly friendly. I purchased a survival knife used in vietnam that was in very solid shape. AMEWM
    Last edited by jame$thegreat; 08 Dec 07,, 01:00.

Comment

Les Invalides in Paris. I could spend days in there. I only got an afternoon. :(

-dale

Comment

Military museum in Brussels with seperate hangars of military aircraft and tanks. Free entrance!;)
        Usus magister est optimus

Comment

Duxford , Imperial War Museum - had half a day to spend there , should have been a month .
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Imperial War Museum in Lambeth, London (the parent of the IWM at Duxford). The Science museum is in the same city and is also unmissable.
            Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Has a RT-21M/SS-20 and a Pershing next to each other.

Comment

Mustn't forget the naval aviators. The Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in Somerset is world class and thoroughly deserving of a visit.

Comment

Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. In their space sci-fi section they have a book on Buck Rogers that I used to have. Arrrgh. Wish we kept it.

Looking forward to the Jacque Littlefield tank museum here in California. Would like to see the Patton museum in Fort Knox but that's not a weekend drive from here.

3 hours from here, east of Indio, is a very small Patton museum. Has only about 6 tanks on display though.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                    Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. Has a RT-21M/SS-20 and a Pershing next to each other.
                    I loved that place, I only got to spend about 3-4 hours in there but it was great.

Comment

Dave forgot to mention the RAC Tank museum at Bovington, Dorset.

Comment

Since I like to visit train museums and photograph old train depots, I found a terrific firearms museum in the old Union Station depot in Ogden, Utah. It's the John M. Browning museum and you can spend 2 or 3 hours there at least. It shows his prototype gun alongside the the production gun developed from it (in most cases).

However, somebody stole serial no. 1 of his 1917 water-cooled machine gun. So only no. 2 is on display. Therefore, if you run across anyone bragging about having serial no. 1 or has it up for sale, call the Ogden museum right away (don't call the ATF - the museum would never get it back) and they will have their local gendarmes with proper Federal authorities there poste-haste.

Comment

[QUOTE=RustyBattleship;435788]Since I like to visit train museums and photograph old train depots,

Dick, if you ever visit the UK you really must go to the National Railway Museum at York. One day won't be enough to do the place justice.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;435789]
                            Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            Since I like to visit train museums and photograph old train depots,

Dick, if you ever visit the UK you really must go to the National Railway Museum at York. One day won't be enough to do the place justice.
                            My mouth is watering already.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Dave forgot to mention the RAC Tank museum at Bovington, Dorset.
                              I'd like to mention the RAC Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset:))

Comment

Working...
                              X