No announcement yet.

Puerto Rico National Guard - bilingual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico National Guard - bilingual?

Since Spanish the main language of Puerto Rico how is the issue of giving commands and tactical planning in conjunction with non PRNG units worked out? Is it mandatory that you must be bilingual upon enlisting?

I recall reading that the several PRNG units had big problems in Korea with the language barrier issue, eventually leading to near mutiny because the Puerto Ricans refused to accept White English speaking officers as replacements for the native Puerto Rican officers that were killed/wounded (remember that back in the 1950s the Hispanic population of the US was less then 1% where as today its close to 20% of the total population).

Only in the past few years have they changed the education system from all Spanish (with English classes in the same manner that we have Spanish on the mainland - as an elective) to instructions in Spanish and assignments/projects/papers/presentations in English along with all textbooks and reading materials being in English as well. Despite that I think that from my trips down there that most Puerto Ricans can speak at least very basic English and most of the younger generation (younger then say 25) can speak English as well as you or I so hopefully the language barrier has been resolved in the Puerto Rico National Guard and also because I get to flirt with the hot Puerto Rican girls :))

The official language in the US Army is English.

This is right off of the PR ARNG website

"Puerto Rico National Guard - A Unique Bilingual Force
    The Puerto Rico National Guard, America’s unique bilingual force, with over 11,000 dedicated citizen-soldiers and airmen, maintained an impressive record of service and performance to its communities, state, and Nation during fiscal years 2001 and 2002.

During this period PRNG troops providing humanitarian assistance to the people of Honduras, our partner-nation, under the State Partnership Program, as part of exercise New Horizons 2001. More than 1,000 PRARNG citizen-soldiers participated in the six-month exercise constructing schools, clinics, roads, and drilling water wells.

Puerto Rico’s citizen-soldiers were called upon to perform a variety of state-related missions, several never conducted before, on the Island. The Guard’s versatile Blackhawk helicopters extinguished rampant fires, which threatened the preservation of the Island’s Toro Negro State Forest. Additionally, the Governor of Puerto Rico activated the Guard to support the Island’s Department of Education in the restoration of more than 1,000 public schools for the commencement of the new school year.

The PRNG also demonstrated its optimum level of readiness and rapid response to confront emergencies and natural disasters. With diligence, commitment, and devotion to duty, the PRNG responded to both Nation and state (New York) upon the September 11th terrorist attacks.

The PRNG actively supported the local communities using the training and skills of its highly professional citizen-soldiers to benefit the people of Puerto Rico. Medical units performed numerous medical-civic actions in the low-income neighborhoods providing preventive health diagnosis and care, health education and orientations, as well as the administration of immunizations to the needy.

Puerto Rico’s National Guard also supported local, state, and federal law and drug enforcement agencies (Puerto Rico Police Department, DEA, FBI, USCS, USCG, HIDTA, et. al) through its commendable Counter Drug Program. This support, aimed at reducing illegal drug trafficking, distribution, and supply performed more than 250 missions for nearly 1,000 flight hours and drug seizures resulting in the confiscation of millions of dollars in illegal drugs.

The Guard continued to help the Island’s troubled, at-risk youngsters through the Drug Demand Reduction Program and its highly successful youth programs: STARBASE, Youth Conservation Corps, and ChalleNGe.

The PRNG also served as formidable American ambassadors at the international level. Many PRNG troops provided invaluable support through a variety of exercises in Latin America sponsored by the US Southern Command. The PRARNG also continued its support to the Republic of Honduras, as part of the State Partnership Program, hosting a variety of visits and exchanges with the Honduran government and military forces as part of their international affairs mission for the US. Currently, hundreds of Puerto Rican citizen-soldiers and airmen have been federally mobilized and are serving in Southwest Asia, Bosnia, and other parts of the globe.

The PRNG has institutionalized many of its unique resources and key events Island wide. Among its most salient resources is the PRNG Language Center, a multi-language and multi-functional institution, which provides language training to Hispanic recruits, US Special Forces, and a variety of other clientele. Among its key community events, the most significant are: the Annual Puerto Rico National Convention and Family Fun Day well known and attended by the soldiers, their families and members of the local communities."

In other words, soldiers who enlist in the 92 BCT or other ARNT units go through laguage training.

So when they deal with personnel/units external to them they speak English. But I am sure the speak Spanish amongst themselves on a regular basis.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

ChrisF202 Reply

Knew a number of Puerto Rican officers and ROTC cadets in the late seventies and early eighties.

Language WAS an issue with them and their academic performance suffered horribly. Further, living and growing up in Puerto Rico had rendered a myopic and small world-view. Generally not successful and demoralized by the notion of active service. Most did not want to serve away from Puerto Rico and preferred to stay national guard.

Most of us carried a generally low opinion of their value as officers. I hope matters have changed.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
        Knew a number of Puerto Rican officers and ROTC cadets in the late seventies and early eighties.

Language WAS an issue with them and their academic performance suffered horribly. Further, living and growing up in Puerto Rico had rendered a myopic and small world-view. Generally not successful and demoralized by the notion of active service. Most did not want to serve away from Puerto Rico and preferred to stay national guard.

Most of us carried a generally low opinion of their value as officers. I hope matters have changed.
        Unfortunately I dont think it has Most Puerto Ricans wont even admit they are American citizens much less the fact that Puerto Rico is a US territory. You will never see an American flag in Puerto Rico aside from military bases and government property, even some post offices dont fly the American flag. Yet ironically nobody has done more to help Puerto Rico and improve their lives then the federal government of the United States.

They pretty much think of themselves as a sovereign nation (and understandably as the federal government does nothing to control the island so it is partially our fault) and the racism towards mainland Americans and non Hispanics in general is astonishing; I have been called a gringo to my face, been refused service in restaurants, when my family vacation house and our next door neighbors house (also a vacation house owned by a mainlander) was robbed and trashed the so called policia basically told us it was our fault because we are not natives or Hispanic, etc. And I always went out of my way to be polite and respectful to them until these incidents occurred even going as far as speaking Spanish only while in public in Puerto Rico.

I think its time to ditch them or take away home rule and return to the pre 1952 system.

Comment

byChrisF202They pretty much think of themselves as a sovereign nation (and understandably as the federal government does nothing to control the island so it is partially our fault) and the racism towards mainland Americans and non Hispanics in general is astonishing; I have been called a gringo to my face, been refused service in restaurants, when my family vacation house and our next door neighbors house (also a vacation house owned by a mainlander) was robbed and trashed the so called policia basically told us it was our fault because we are not natives or Hispanic, etc. And I always went out of my way to be polite and respectful to them until these incidents occurred even going as far as speaking Spanish only while in public in Puerto Rico.

San Juan isn't too bad. Outside the city though you're right, things can get a bit prejudicial. I had been thinking about retiring in Puerto Rico, I've lived in Spanish speaking countries before. After spending time in the interior I decided I would have to live in the more cosmopolitan San Juan.
          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I agree, my family vacation home is in Rincon on the west side of the island (halfway between Aguadilla and Mayaguez) and I wrongly assumed that since its a somewhat popular tourist spot that the typical Puerto Rican attitude would be somewhat nicer but I was wrong. Its just as 3rd world and racist as the rest of the island. They now refer to the town as "Grincon" because of the "evil racist imperialist Americans" that have vacation homes or go on vacation there.

Now dont get me wrong, there are some Puerto Ricans who realize that US rule is alot better then the alternative and actually make efforts to be American and show respect to the nation as a whole (such as by speaking English and flying the American flag along with the Puerto Rican flag) but they are few and mostly restricted to the educated and upper class folks.

Comment

These are interesting observations.

As part of the settlement between the US and Spain, in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War, the US gained two off-shore possessions: Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

Both eventually became American commonwealth nations, but the Philippines gained independence. One of the what-ifs that often crop up in Philippine History discussions is "what would have happened if the nationalists hadn't won out and we stayed with the US?"

Your observations of Puerto Rican attitudes towards the US, offer an interesting peak at an "alternative future" for my people.
              Last edited by adroth; 07 Dec 07,, 04:02.

Comment

Originally posted by adroth View Post
                Both eventually became American commonwealth nations, but the Philippines gained independence. One of the what-ifs that often crop up in Philippine History discussions is "what would have happened if the nationalists hadn't won out and we stayed with the US?"
                I'd imagine PLA would be finding themselves in a bit of a pickle when it came time for their projected expansion out past the "Second Island Chain".
                Honestly I'm surprised the USA isn't trying to open those bases back up.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                  This is a bit out of topic, but massive cold war-era bases are old school. The JSOTF facilities like the one they have in a Philippine Army base in the south, are the wave of the future.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                    I'd imagine PLA would be finding themselves in a bit of a pickle when it came time for their projected expansion out past the "Second Island Chain".
                    Well we only just closed down Subic Bay and Clark AFB not too long ago. Personally I think we never should have closed those bases but im not the one making the decisions.

Comment

Worked with them in Panama just prior to the U.S. 1989 Operation Just Cause operation. The officers could speak English. The enlisted guys couldn't, wouldn't or didn't want to.
                      Last edited by GAU-8; 10 Dec 07,, 04:59.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                        Well we only just closed down Subic Bay and Clark AFB not too long ago. Personally I think we never should have closed those bases but im not the one making the decisions.

Clark AFB got trashed by Mount Pinatubo eruption. With Guam expansion and the reduction of the military post Cold War the Phillipine bases became redundant. And since the major bases are on US soil there are less issues to deal with than dealing with a nother sovereign nation.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Clark AFB got trashed by Mount Pinatubo eruption. With Guam expansion and the reduction of the military post Cold War the Phillipine bases became redundant. And since the major bases are on US soil there are less issues to deal with than dealing with a nother sovereign nation.
                          Thats right Albany, the volcano thing just totally slipped my mind

Dident they actually spend a ton of money to rebuild part of the base and then close it down?

couldn't, wouldn't or didn't want to.
                          Thats pretty much the standard issue with all Puerto Ricans older then say 30 or so. The folks younger then 30 are all Americanized and speak English as well as you and I. I talk to a person my age and its almost like I am back in New York but if I were to say something to a person of the Baby Boomer years I get a blank stare, a "Gringo go home" or a "no hablo Ingles".

Comment

Chris

Not much went into rebuilding as I recall. The Bush 1 Administration was trying to hammer out a long term lease arrangement but the Fillipinos were driving a hard bargain. Then the eruption happened. US decided not to invest large sums of money in a place which they may or may not be staying.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              The Bush 1 Administration was trying to hammer out a long term lease arrangement but the Fillipinos were driving a hard bargain.
                              Negotiations were handled by the Department of Foreign Affairs, which was actually quite accommodating to what the US wanted.

But the legislative branch of government, the Philippine Senate, voted to end the base agreement. That was the ultimate show stopper.

Regardless of whether or not Pinatubo erupted or not, the bases would been closed.

=== ~~~ ===

Mods, sorry if this post is out of topic
                              Last edited by adroth; 11 Dec 07,, 17:55.

Comment

Working...
                              X