X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Paratrooper Faces Deportation

US Paratrooper Faces Deportation

Monday, December 03, 2007

A highly decorated Arab-American sergeant in the US army, who is currently serving as a paratrooper in Afghanistan, faces deportation on his return to the United States because of an irregularity in his immigration papers.

Sgt Hicham Benkabbou has been served with an order to stand trial for deportation as soon as he arrives home, despite the fact that he has been on active service in Afghanistan for almost two years with the 508th parachute infantry regiment, known as the Red Devils.

His lawyers say his treatment illustrates the harsh justice meted out to Arab-Americans by the US immigration authorities.

Benkabbou came to the US from his native Morocco in 1987, and was granted permanent residency four years ago. But when he applied to become a naturalised US citizen in 2005 - by which time he was already serving in the army - immigration officials discovered that he had failed to register his first marriage and alleged that the ceremony had been arranged fraudulently to get him into the country.

Benkabbou says that the marriage was annulled and argues it is therefore irrelevant to his immigration status. "I do not think I deserve to get deported after serving honourably during a time of war!" he wrote in an email from Afghanistan.

"I can read, write and speak Arabic, French and English. I have earned the respect and confidence of my superiors and I shall be a great asset for our country if given the opportunity to become a US citizen."

His case has been taken up by the Association of Patriotic Arab Americans in the Military, which represents up to 3,500 Arab-Americans serving in the armed forces. The anti-discrimination committee for Arab-Americans, ADC, has also protested.

"This is a very disturbing case. This man has been serving our nation, putting his life on the line on behalf of America. This is a setback to attempts to encourage recruitment to the military," said the ADC's Imad Hamad.

The aggressive prosecution of the case has surprised immigration lawyers who point to a directive that advises officials against pressing to deport acting military personnel unless they have been involved in drug trafficking, crimes against children or violence, or unless they pose a danger to the public.

Benkabbou's irregularity over his marriage falls into no such categories.

His lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia, Paul Ford, said the only explanation he could find was that his client was a Muslim, "which sets off all the buzzers. There is no question that Arab-Americans are given a totally different treatment."

Ford said that Benkabbou had been accused of being a terrorist by officials from the immigration enforcement agency, ICE. "In court, ICE lawyers called Morocco a terrorist country, which I found astonishing."

A spokesman for the US citizenship and immigration services said that under privacy laws the department could not discuss individual cases. But he added that in general, "if someone is placed in deportation proceedings, that is not the end of the process. If the case involves someone serving in the military we will look at it very closely.

"We understand the service of those who put themselves in harm's way to preserve the rights in this country that they do not themselves yet enjoy."

Several commanding officers have offered support to Benkabbou. Lieutenant Colonel Peterman said: "It is not an understatement to say that Sgt Benkabbou has been instrumental in sustaining the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment during this combat deployment to Afghanistan. He is a leader, a problem solver, and possesses the physical gifts of a US paratrooper."

Military News | Military Forum
    An interesting case. Catch 22.

Illegal entry into the US and yet fighting well for his adopted homeland!

One wonders which should triumph - deportation for illegal entry or being a good soldier in a daredevil unit with all the qualities of being a good soldier and citizen?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    An interesting case. Catch 22.

Illegal entry into the US and yet fighting well for his adopted homeland!

One wonders which should triumph - deportation for illegal entry or being a good soldier in a daredevil unit with all the qualities of being a good soldier and citizen?
    Brig Ray,

If the case was so simple and clear-cut, the solution would be as simple and clear-cut: There is precedence in ICE's books that grants immigration coverage to even unmarried partners of soldiers who have served honorably, so the marriage would not be such a big issue (edit: I should add, the unmarried partner in this case was carrying the soldier's child, and the soldier won a Bronze Star after his death in Iraq). The bigger dilemma for the ICE officials is:
    (a) if a man is caught for a small lie, there may be a bigger and more dangerous lie in the closet - a justified paranoia given their nature of work.
    (b) it will go on the record as a precedence and will open up a very easy-to-exploit loophole for terrorists*.

* Something like this may have been exploited even earlier. IIRC a key planner in the first WTC attack was an Egyptian-American sergeant who had been an instructor for US Special Forces; he had also been cashiered from Egyptian Army, where he was a Major, for Islamist activity.

Comment

I would have thought multilingual decorated NCOs are exactly the sort of soldier you don't want to kick out at the moment. I do agree with Cactus's point A, unless there really isn't a big lie. Point B may be a bit more contentious if you consider that the sergeant has indeed given for America and been decorated for it.
      HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricalDavid View Post
        I would have thought multilingual decorated NCOs are exactly the sort of soldier you don't want to kick out at the moment. I do agree with Cactus's point A, unless there really isn't a big lie. Point B may be a bit more contentious if you consider that the sergeant has indeed given for America and been decorated for it.
        I would have thought that the contention would have been the other way around...

Comment

Spy?

Maybe he is part of a sleeper cell or a spy for the Taliban just waiting until Allah or Bin Laden tells him to whack his own unit. He's not going to be so pro American after this dust settles.
          sigpic "We are the people our parents warned us about." Jimmy Buffet

Comment

Cactus and HD,

True, but could Desdemona be right?

Catch 22!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Annulment

In point of fact, if his first marriage was annulled (and not just a divorce) then in fact, it never did happen.

Not saying that is in fact the case but I can't wait to see the outcome.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Tough call, I say let him stay but keep tabs on him. He is in the Army it can't be too hard to know where he is after all.
                Originally posted by GVChamp
                College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

All seems abit of a kick in the balls.
                  Poor guy.

Comment

Working...
                  X