BB 62 Skipper passes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 62 Skipper passes away

The following was passed on to me. I thought you would have some interest in this. Admiral Snyder was Captain of the USS New Jersey (BB-62) when she was in Long Beach in 1968 for her final fitting out availability prior to deployment to Viet Nam. I met him and found him to be a very dedicated, intelligent and friendly person. He was an excellent choice as a Battleship commander.

Dick Landgraff

In a message dated 11/6/2007 3:11:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, THelvig writes:
    Dear Friends of Admiral Snyder,

My grandfather passed away yesterday afternoon at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I wanted to share with you some of the details from my mother who was with him.

The skipper lost his battle with cancer Sunday, November 4 at 1 p.m. with family by his side. He was in the capable hands of the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD where he was being treated for complications of the disease. From 2-4 on Thursday, November 8th 2007, the family of RADM J. Edward Snyder will greet friends and family at the Money & King Vienna Funeral Home.

In lieu of flowers the family requests any donations be sent to The Arleigh Burke Pavillion, 1739 Kirby Road, McLean, VA 22101 attention administrator Bob Demaria.

The address of the funeral home is:
    Money and King Vienna Funeral Home
    171 West Maple Avenue
    Vienna, VA 22180

I wish I had more details to share you at this time. Please pass along this information to others who knew Admiral Snyder. My family and I appreciate the support we have received. I just ask that you keep my grandmother and others in the family in your thoughts and prayers. Whether you called him Ed, Skipper, Captain, or friend, I know you will always take a piece of him with you.
    God Bless.
    -Jesse Stovall
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

RIP Sir,

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      The following was passed on to me. I thought you would have some interest in this. Admiral Snyder was Captain of the USS New Jersey (BB-62) when she was in Long Beach in 1968 for her final fitting out availability prior to deployment to Viet Nam. I met him and found him to be a very dedicated, intelligent and friendly person. He was an excellent choice as a Battleship commander.

Dick Landgraff

In a message dated 11/6/2007 3:11:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, THelvig writes:
      Dear Friends of Admiral Snyder,

My grandfather passed away yesterday afternoon at Bethesda Naval Hospital. I wanted to share with you some of the details from my mother who was with him.

The skipper lost his battle with cancer Sunday, November 4 at 1 p.m. with family by his side. He was in the capable hands of the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD where he was being treated for complications of the disease. From 2-4 on Thursday, November 8th 2007, the family of RADM J. Edward Snyder will greet friends and family at the Money & King Vienna Funeral Home.

In lieu of flowers the family requests any donations be sent to The Arleigh Burke Pavillion, 1739 Kirby Road, McLean, VA 22101 attention administrator Bob Demaria.

The address of the funeral home is:
      Money and King Vienna Funeral Home
      171 West Maple Avenue
      Vienna, VA 22180

I wish I had more details to share you at this time. Please pass along this information to others who knew Admiral Snyder. My family and I appreciate the support we have received. I just ask that you keep my grandmother and others in the family in your thoughts and prayers. Whether you called him Ed, Skipper, Captain, or friend, I know you will always take a piece of him with you.
      God Bless.
      -Jesse Stovall
      Thank you Mr. L. I have just been recently notified of the Admirals passing. My sincerest condolences to his loved ones. Many people that have read about him while he was the captain aboard New Jersey during her Vietnam cruise may not realize that he also served aboard the USS Pennsylvania (BB38 & Arizona's sister ship) during the Battle of Surigao Strait in Leyte 1944. The New Jersey was the very last battleship seen leaving the Delaware River under her own power and ofcoarse the Admiral was her CO at that time. From what some have imparted to me about this man is that even know the Big J was the largest battleship afloat she still wasnt quite as big as her Captain and the way he treated his men.

Days of Thunder Admiral!
      R.I.P Sir!
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 06 Nov 07,, 21:45.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Thank you Mr. L. I have just been recently notified of the Admirals passing. My sincerest condolences to his loved ones. Many people that have read about him while he was the captain aboard New Jersey during her Vietnam cruise may not realize that he also served aboard the USS Pennsylvania (BB38 & Arizona's sister ship) during the Battle of Surigao Strait in Leyte 1944. The New Jersey was the very last battleship seen leaving the Delaware River under her own power and ofcoarse the Admiral was her CO at that time. From what some have imparted to me about this man is that even know the Big J was the largest battleship afloat she still wasnt quite as big as her Captain and the way he treated his men.

Days of Thunder Admiral!
        R.I.P Sir!
        That is a wonderful rememberance and tribute. If you wish, you can send it as an email in care of the editor of The Jerseyman ([email protected]). They will pass it on to his family.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

He was a great one.

He commanded his battlewagon with style and panache.

I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. :(
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Sad news :( R.I.P. Sir
            "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
            -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Abstract from Cover-up aboard the USS Iowa by Charles Thomson (published in Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc. The IRE Journal, July 1999) :

Former battleship captain provides insight

Once I became involved in the Iowa story, I decided that I had to obtain the assistance of an open-minded, scientifically astute former battleship captain. The best former skipper was retired Rear Admiral Ed Snyder. He had commanded the USS New Jersey, the Iowa's sister ship, in Vietnam and fired more 16-inch shells there than all four Iowa-class battleships had in World War II and thereby earned himself a larger-than-life reputation. A nuclear weapons designer, he had ended his career as the Navy's oceanographer.

After his retirement, Snyder had helped wage an effective campaign in the early 1980s to bring the four existing battleships, Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, and Wisconsin, which had been mothballed, back to active duty. When the New Jersey developed serious gunpowder problems while shelling Lebanon in 1983-84, Snyder was asked by the Navy to investigate the problem. He concluded that the Navy's entire powder stock was probably tainted and should be destroyed, but the Navy declined to take such radical action. I knew Admiral Snyder slightly and called to see if he would consider helping me. He said he had visited the Pentagon the day after the explosion and had volunteered his expertise, but had been turned down. We formed an alliance that has lasted 10 years. He helped me write interrogatories to the Navy about their technical case, determined that the service didn't have a viable one, located other ordnance and naval experts, critiqued everything I wrote, and prepared Mike Wallace for his interviews with high-ranking officers.
              Last edited by Shipwreck; 29 May 08,, 00:03.

Comment

Many powder bags were repacked/inspected in 1968 (full service charge) prior to NJ leaving for Vietnam we have one on display from the lot. Capt. Snyder was one hell of a man and he was one of those Captains who would even take the helm (con) himself in times of indecision. He treated his people professionally and always expressed confidence in them even when they were unsure. Not just a Captain but a father figure to many aboard as well. A top rate Captain no doubt and certainly one that will be missed by many.
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 29 May 08,, 14:35.

Comment

RADM Ed Snyder was a great guy and a remarkable leader.

The other Ed Snyder wasn't bad either...

Comment

I only had the pleasure of meeting him once.

Comment

I only had the pleasure of meeting him once.
                      Who ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
                        Who ?
                        Was an edit meant for another post not this one but it seems the WAB is acting a bit funny today very much the same for some of the embedded videos.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 May 08,, 15:39.

Comment

Was an edit meant for another post not this one but it seems the WAB is acting a bit funny today very much the same for some of the embedded videos.
                          No problemo. :)

Comment

Working...
                          X