Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for your favorite WWII aircraft!

Dear Members,

We have received five entries for the WWII model aircraft contest.

1st entry: C-47 Skytrain by RustyBattleship.

The C-47 Skytrain ferried troops, dropped paratroopers, and was vital in supplying American forces fighting in the Pacific. This aircraft was also known as the Dakota, and the C-53 version that carried paratroopers was called the Skytrooper.

2nd entry: B-29 Superfortress by hobogeo.

The B-29 Superfortress was one of the most advanced bombers built in its time, with a pressurized cabin and remote controlled machine gun turrets. A total of 3900 were built, and they saw extensive use over Europe and the Pacific. The B-29 dropped 200,000 tons of bombs during WWII. Enola Gay and Bookscar dropped the Little Boy and Fat Man atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, respectively.

3rd entry: Focke-Wulf FW190 by WhiskeyTangoFox.

Widely considered one of the best fighters of WWII. Introduced in 1941, the FW-190 saw production of over 20,000 over the course of four years. The aircraft served a variety of roles, including fighter, dive bomber, and ground attack. After an intact FW-190 was captured in July 1942, many design features from the plane were incorporated into the Hawker Tempest.

4th entry: B-17 Superfortress "Memphis Belle" by texasjohn.

See 2nd entry for description.

5th entry: P-47 Razorback by Dalem.

The P-47 Razorback (AKA Thunderbolt) was the largest single-engined fighter of WWII. Instead of using the aircraft primarily in air-to-air engagements, it was found that the aircraft was far more adept in a ground-attack role. The name of the A-10 Thunderbolt pays homage to this fine aircraft.
    C-47 Skytrain by RustyBattleship
    4.17%
    B-29 Superfortress by hobogeo
    14.58%
    FW-190 by WhiskeyTangoFox
    58.33%
    B-17 "Memphis Belle" by texasjohn
    6.25%
    P-47 Razorback by Dalem
    16.67%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

1st entry: C-47 Skytrain by RustyBattleship.
    Attached Files

Comment

2nd entry: B-29 Superfortress by hobogeo.
      Attached Files

Comment

3rd entry: Focke-Wulf FW190 by WhiskeyTangoFox.
        Attached Files

Comment

4th entry: B-29 Superfortress "Memphis Belle" by texasjohn.
          Attached Files

Comment

5th entry: P-47 Razorback by Dalem.
            Attached Files

Comment

I hope texasjohn will eventually forgive you for mis-identifying his model as a B-29!
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

WhiskeyTangoFox got my vote, but I want to say it was a REAL tough decision choose between him and dalem!
                Pete

Comment

Great models but I liked the detail on the FW-190.

Great choice of aircraft too - all made massive contributions to the war efforts of their respective countries.

Tas
                  Learn from the past. Prepare for the future.

Comment

Awesome job on all of them gentlemen but I had to give my vote to Dale,nice job bud:) .
                    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                      I hope texasjohn will eventually forgive you for mis-identifying his model as a B-29!
                      Time heals all wounds... ;)

Comment

Well, I told you I probably wouldn't even vote for my own C-47.

The Focke Wulf is extraordinarily well detailed. If this was used in the movie "The Rocketeer", Wisconsin Texas Florida would have even put a wad of Allen Arkin's chewing gum on the rudder.

But I went with Texas John's B-17. I dunno. I just like it -- real well. I've always been impressed with the sight of a B-17 (old enough to have seen them in military service though the last one I saw was dropping fire retardent in tinder-dry California).
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty, there is another B-17 right here in town. It's nicknamed "Chuckie". Here is the link

"Chuckie's" Trip to Willow Run (KYIP) Thunder Over Michigan 2005

This plane was dicovered by a dentist that saw this plane being used as a crop duster and cargo plane. he purchased it even though he knew nothing about flying. He learned to fly, and then eventually got to fly the plane itself!!

It is a beauty!! Pretty inspiring story too!

Comment

C47 - simply because it is related to C130 which according to stories is fieldhardy and volatile

Comment

WTFox gets it on the detail and the photography.:)

Comment

Working...
                              X