PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite WWII aircraft!

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:48
Dear Members,

We have received five entries for the WWII model aircraft contest.

1st entry: C-47 Skytrain by RustyBattleship.

The C-47 Skytrain ferried troops, dropped paratroopers, and was vital in supplying American forces fighting in the Pacific. This aircraft was also known as the Dakota, and the C-53 version that carried paratroopers was called the Skytrooper.

2nd entry: B-29 Superfortress by hobogeo.

The B-29 Superfortress was one of the most advanced bombers built in its time, with a pressurized cabin and remote controlled machine gun turrets. A total of 3900 were built, and they saw extensive use over Europe and the Pacific. The B-29 dropped 200,000 tons of bombs during WWII. Enola Gay and Bookscar dropped the Little Boy and Fat Man atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki, respectively.

3rd entry: Focke-Wulf FW190 by WhiskeyTangoFox.

Widely considered one of the best fighters of WWII. Introduced in 1941, the FW-190 saw production of over 20,000 over the course of four years. The aircraft served a variety of roles, including fighter, dive bomber, and ground attack. After an intact FW-190 was captured in July 1942, many design features from the plane were incorporated into the Hawker Tempest.

4th entry: B-17 Superfortress "Memphis Belle" by texasjohn.

See 2nd entry for description.

5th entry: P-47 Razorback by Dalem.

The P-47 Razorback (AKA Thunderbolt) was the largest single-engined fighter of WWII. Instead of using the aircraft primarily in air-to-air engagements, it was found that the aircraft was far more adept in a ground-attack role. The name of the A-10 Thunderbolt pays homage to this fine aircraft.

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:51
1st entry: C-47 Skytrain by RustyBattleship.

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:52
2nd entry: B-29 Superfortress by hobogeo.

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:53
3rd entry: Focke-Wulf FW190 by WhiskeyTangoFox.

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:54
4th entry: B-29 Superfortress "Memphis Belle" by texasjohn.

Ironduke
06 Nov 07,, 00:58
5th entry: P-47 Razorback by Dalem.

glyn
06 Nov 07,, 01:07
I hope texasjohn will eventually forgive you for mis-identifying his model as a B-29!:eek:

temujin77
06 Nov 07,, 01:18
WhiskeyTangoFox got my vote, but I want to say it was a REAL tough decision choose between him and dalem!

Tasman
06 Nov 07,, 02:21
Great models but I liked the detail on the FW-190.

Great choice of aircraft too - all made massive contributions to the war efforts of their respective countries.

Tas

Shamus
06 Nov 07,, 02:34
Awesome job on all of them gentlemen but I had to give my vote to Dale,nice job bud:) .

texasjohn
06 Nov 07,, 03:26
I hope texasjohn will eventually forgive you for mis-identifying his model as a B-29!:eek:

Time heals all wounds...:biggrin: ;)

RustyBattleship
06 Nov 07,, 05:18
Well, I told you I probably wouldn't even vote for my own C-47.

The Focke Wulf is extraordinarily well detailed. If this was used in the movie "The Rocketeer", Wisconsin Texas Florida would have even put a wad of Allen Arkin's chewing gum on the rudder.

But I went with Texas John's B-17. I dunno. I just like it -- real well. I've always been impressed with the sight of a B-17 (old enough to have seen them in military service though the last one I saw was dropping fire retardent in tinder-dry California).

texasjohn
06 Nov 07,, 05:35
Rusty, there is another B-17 right here in town. It's nicknamed "Chuckie". Here is the link

"Chuckie's" Trip to Willow Run (KYIP) Thunder Over Michigan 2005 (http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/photos/TripToYIP/FrameSet.htm)

This plane was dicovered by a dentist that saw this plane being used as a crop duster and cargo plane. he purchased it even though he knew nothing about flying. He learned to fly, and then eventually got to fly the plane itself!!

It is a beauty!! Pretty inspiring story too!

nochanda
06 Nov 07,, 08:40
C47 - simply because it is related to C130 which according to stories is fieldhardy and volatile

dave lukins
06 Nov 07,, 14:19
WTFox gets it on the detail and the photography.:)

osplant
06 Nov 07,, 15:25
C-47D DAKOTA

Undoubtedly the most historic and classic aircraft.
It is a twin engine cargo aircraft.
The airplane was adapted from the DC-3 commercial airplane which appeared in 1936.
The main mission of the C-47D was carrying personnel and cargo and in a combat role dropping paratroops and supplies into enemy territory. The first C-47s were ordered in 1940 and played a pivotal role in WWII. After the conflict, many C-47s remained in USAF service participating in several important missons, such as the Berlin airlift in 1947 and the Korean War.
Hellenic(Greek) C-47s had a vital contribution in the heroic efforts of the Hellenic troops during the Korean War, and in the Hellenic Air Force as a whole. They are currently baed in Thessaloniki Combat Wing Air Force Base.
They wear the four-color "Vietnam" camouflage.

temujin77
06 Nov 07,, 15:34
C-47D DAKOTA

Undoubtedly the most historic and classic aircraft.
It is a twin engine cargo aircraft.
The airplane was adapted from the DC-3 commercial airplane which appeared in 1936.
The main mission of the C-47D was carrying personnel and cargo and in a combat role dropping paratroops and supplies into enemy territory. The first C-47s were ordered in 1940 and played a pivotal role in WWII. After the conflict, many C-47s remained in USAF service participating in several important missons, such as the Berlin airlift in 1947 and the Korean War.
Hellenic(Greek) C-47s had a vital contribution in the heroic efforts of the Hellenic troops during the Korean War, and in the Hellenic Air Force as a whole. They are currently baed in Thessaloniki Combat Wing Air Force Base.
They wear the four-color "Vietnam" camouflage.

If you like the C-47, I've got a link for you:

WW2DB: C-47 Skytrain (http://ww2db.com/aircraft_spec.php?aircraft_model_id=54&list=Other)

There are some nice pics of WW2-period and current period of C-47, such as photos of a C-47 on display at Aerospace Museum in Utah, United States. The color photo of 101st Airborne Division paratrooper standing at the door of a C-47 is also very nice. Check it out!

osplant
06 Nov 07,, 15:42
Thank you.
I would prefer some pictures or documents from Berlin Airlift in 1947.C-47s role in imposing the peace and the win of our free world in those days, indeed was great and effective.

RustyBattleship
06 Nov 07,, 19:49
C47 - simply because it is related to C130 which according to stories is fieldhardy and volatile

Duhhhh. Gosh. Thank you.

And thanks to the other person that respects his stumble-fingered elders.

dalem
06 Nov 07,, 22:50
I had to go with WTF's FW-190.

Nice work indeed.

-dale

temujin77
06 Nov 07,, 23:07
I had to go with WTF's FW-190.

Nice work indeed.

-dale

Very honorable of you to vote for an opposing candidate :)

smilingassassin
08 Nov 07,, 05:23
All the models are nice but for some reason I really like hobogeo's B-29 Superfortress. Even unfinished and sitting on a box it looks damn nasty!

hobogeo
09 Nov 07,, 03:47
Thanks for the nomination ironduke,but as i said before the model shown(by mistake, wrong thread)was from the korean war.My vote is for the P47 razor Back,very nice job for the small scale. hobogeo

vaughn
09 Nov 07,, 23:41
I was anchored in Buckner Bay, Naha, Okinawa and was set up to participate in the invasion of Japan.
I believe the Atom bombs saved a large number of lives of both sides and untold servicemen lives which I and my family are quite thankful.

zimbrul
11 Nov 07,, 05:17
Beautiful job on the Fw, like the rusty details.Hats of on Dale's work considering the scale it must have taken a good magnifing glass for the detailing.Had to go with the Focke , it's my favourite fighter.

Debbie
12 Nov 07,, 04:37
WTFox gets it on the detail and the photography.:)

Agreed Mr. Lukins, my vote goes that way as well.

Ironduke
13 Nov 07,, 12:55
After a week of voting, WhiskeyTangoFox has won this contest. Congratulations, and thank you to the other members for submitting their work. A variety of submissions definitely makes for a more interesting contest. :)

temujin77
13 Nov 07,, 16:32
Congrats WhiskeyTangoFox, and great job once again!

osplant
13 Nov 07,, 17:48
If WhiskeyTango Foxtrot IAW radio phonetics may stand for WTF(What the ****) then this common expression of confusion or bewilderment cannot downgrade the significant role of WWII aircraft.
__________________________________________________ _______________
No culture can survive if claims that is exclusive

dalem
14 Nov 07,, 23:05
Congrats everyone and WTF in particular.

-dale

WhiskeyTangoFox
15 Nov 07,, 01:39
Thank you everybody! I'm honored to have "won". Everybody who entered is a winner, thanks for sharing your work with us!

hobogeo
17 Nov 07,, 16:52
Congrats WTF a well deserved win. The last time i built a kit was 12 years ago, now i just ordered 3 kits, give me 6 months we will hopefully try this again.