PDA

View Full Version : Simulated attacks on civilian shipping?

Silent Hunter
31 Oct 07,, 20:46
I've heard that USN submarines do simulated attacks on unsuspecting shipping to keep in practice. Is that true?

glyn
31 Oct 07,, 21:52
Submarines of every Navy do this all the time.:)

wabpilot
01 Nov 07,, 00:54
Our subs do it all the time. Even the boomers do it to keep in practice.

jeffpayne56
06 Nov 07,, 07:09
even surface ships do aswell, as it doesn't always involve actual evidence of an attack from the outside but in the opps room etc all hell is breaking loose

Bella
07 Nov 07,, 05:53
Crap!! I hope they don't do this when I'm out fishing on my boat!!

Officer of Engineers
07 Nov 07,, 06:10
Only if you're fishing with dynamite.

biblyswacker
07 Nov 07,, 11:56
I've heard that USN submarines do simulated attacks on unsuspecting shipping to keep in practice. Is that true?

The Fire Control Technicians on my ship used to light up civilian airliners with the SeaSparrow radar all the time.

av8rmongo
09 Nov 07,, 19:47
Crap!! I hope they don't do this when I'm out fishing on my boat!!

I've never "attacked" anything on the Great Lakes but if you've ever been on the water and been overflown by a military aircraft chances are you were the "Target of Opportunity" in an impromptu training session. At least that goes for the SoCal and VaCapes training areas.

Bella
09 Nov 07,, 23:34
I've never "attacked" anything on the Great Lakes but if you've ever been on the water and been overflown by a military aircraft chances are you were the "Target of Opportunity" in an impromptu training session. At least that goes for the SoCal and VaCapes training areas.

No, I have a house in the Keys and do ALOT of fishing in the Atlantic. When fishing we do see warships once in awhile! Never saw a Aircraft Carrier or a sub though. Only you typical, Frigates, Crusiers, and Destroyers.