X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Forces

Hi All,
    Now this may sound like some silly questions, please don't laugh to loud;

What's the difference between the US Army and the US Marines? (apart from Gomer Pyle and Forrest Gump)
    What's the difference between the Rangers and Green berets?
    What's a "dough boy"?
    What does "werrrp" mean?
    Why do the Marines have to keep reminding each other they will be "forever faithful"? Isn't that a given anyway?

Freddie, (confused)
    Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
    vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
    Hi All,
    Now this may sound like some silly questions, please don't laugh to loud;

What's the difference between the US Army and the US Marines? (apart from Gomer Pyle and Forrest Gump)
    What's the difference between the Rangers and Green berets?
    I'll leave those 2 alone
    What's a "dough boy"?
    World War 1 American in the AEF.
    What does "werrrp" mean?
    ???
    Why do the Marines have to keep reminding each other they will be "forever faithful"? Isn't that a given anyway?
    First its "Semper Fidelis" or Always Faithful. We are the only US Military Branch that has an official Motto. The only other group that has one is the US Coast Guard, "Semper Paratus" or Always Prepared.

Just as some Army units use their unit motto as a greeting, Marines do the same. It also has other uses that would take a while to tell.

One quick one though is to use the term when someone wants to borrow something. Most often a smoke or a chew when in the field.

Marines will share just about anything bit lets say you are running low on smokes or the guy that just asked for one never seems to have his own. As you give him the smoke tell him "Semper Fi". It means I'm giving you this but don't ask again.

Comes from WW2. The phrase they used was "Semper Fi Mac".

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      I'll leave those 2 alone

First its "Semper Fidelis" or Always Faithful. We are the only US Military Branch that has an official Motto. The only other group that has one is the US Coast Guard, "Semper Paratus" or Always Prepared.
      Army= own branch
      Marines= part of the Navy.

I'm pretty sure on those two. That is the main difference between them, among many other ones.
      I stand with Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by RamHammer View Post
        Army= own branch
        Marines= part of the Navy.

I'm pretty sure on those two. That is the main difference between them, among many other ones.
        And I'm sure you are wrong.

The USMC is its own branch of the US Military, It does not have its own department in the DoD.

Please refer to the National Security act of 1947 if you hold further misconceptions:)

Comment

The US Marines have a slightly different rank structure, and USMC training is different, as I understand one major departure is the segregation of male and female recruits while they're at Recruit Depot, not sure if this is still done or not.
          The USMC also uses Regiments instead of Brigades, and of course has it's own fixed-wing Aviation which is separate from NAVAIR. Damned if I could ever figure out why, but I'm not getting into this discussion without M-21Sniper around to get my back anymore.
          Basically the size of the USMC and it's independence alongside the more common Army/Navy/Air triad is pretty much unique to the USA, and is partially due to historical quirks and partly due to legal technicalities. It's here to stay anyway.
          I still think it should be a sub-branch anyway, but that's probably the German coming out in me again.

Comment

marines got swords, and coolest looking parade uniform, plus from what my marine friend told me their traning is more extencive than army, they do precision jobs, while army is a brute force.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              And I'm sure you are wrong.

The USMC is its own branch of the US Military, It does not have its own department in the DoD.

Please refer to the National Security act of 1947 if you hold further misconceptions:)
              Agreed Grape. The USMC is its own branch. Alot of their slang such as "on deck" did I believe transend from Marines that served aboard USN ships in the earlier years as their policing force and in cases even today. But I certainly agree with you that they are their own seperate entity no doubt.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                Agreed Grape. The USMC is its own branch. Alot of their slang such as "on deck" did I believe transend from Marines that served aboard USN ships in the earlier years as their policing force and in cases even today. But I certainly agree with you that they are their own seperate entity no doubt.
                The linkages are a lot closer than that. The USMC is a separate branch, though within the Department of the Navy. The USMC does its own basic training, but much advanced training is done elsewhere.

When I was in the Naval Air Training Command, there was no distinction beyond uniforms and ranks between the Naval and Marine elements. We had the same syllabi, the same standards to meet, the same tests and flew the same aircraft. The aircraft were subject to moving from one service to another especially when they went to the NARF, now known as Naval Aviation Depots or NADEP. Obviously, the navy had no way to support AV-8s and the USMC had no ability to support F-14s. But the F-4s, F-18s, A-6s and A-7s got scrambled around. The F-18D is an exception. The 72 USMC F-18Ds are unique to the corps. In theory a navy F-18D can be converted to a Marine F-18D, but it's expensive and time consuming. On the rotar wing side there are a few common airframes, but like the F-18D there are significant differences between naval and Marine versions. For the most part, navy and Marine rotar wings stay with their respective services.

Comment

What's the difference between the US Army and the US Marines?
                  Hmm... you could just look it up in five seconds. The Marine Corps is tasked with expeditionary missions, rapid deployment, and amphibious and combined-arms operations.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

And USMC medical Corpsmen are actually US Navy personnel. There's a lot of intermixing thats for sure.

Comment

Green berets - Rangers

Part of my question was "what's the difference between the Green Berets and the Rangers?
                      Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
                      vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by furkensturker View Post
                        Part of my question was "what's the difference between the Green Berets and the Rangers?
                        Both Special Forces (aka "Green Berets") and Ranger Regiment units fall under Special Operations Command. Ranger units are light infantry units with specialized equipment and training that allow them to perform missions that fall in between the capabilities of special and conventional forces - a mission where you need numbers that special operations teams may not have and training that conventional units may not have. This is a broad generalization, but it gets at the niche that Ranger units fill. Many special forces operators use Ranger units as their path to Special Forces, but that is not a requirement or a hard and fast expectation.
                        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

The USN is finding more and more ways to integrate their sailors into numerous poistions aboard many different classes of ships. Sort of a multitasking if you would. IMO it will pay benefits in the future to come.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            Both Special Forces (aka "Green Berets") and Ranger Regiment units fall under Special Operations Command. Ranger units are light infantry units with specialized equipment and training that allow them to perform missions that fall in between the capabilities of special and conventional forces - a mission where you need numbers that special operations teams may not have and training that conventional units may not have. This is a broad generalization, but it gets at the niche that Ranger units fill. Many special forces operators use Ranger units as their path to Special Forces, but that is not a requirement or a hard and fast expectation.
                            You could pretty much compare them to the the Australian Army's Commandos or the UK's Special Forces Support Group, especially since the latter was based upon the Rangers, even if they are drawn from conventional units like the Paras, Marines and RAF Regiment. The SAS does the sneaky LRRP, asymmetrical warfare and CT stuff while the Commandos are more for large-scale Raiding and other "punch in the face" activities.

Comment

The 72 USMC F-18Ds are unique to the corps. In theory a navy F-18D can be converted to a Marine F-18D, but it's expensive and time consuming.

Is that conversion for the bayonet stud on the nose?

:P :)) :P :)) :P :))
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X