No announcement yet.

Extreme Virus...has Anyone Heard Of It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Virus...has Anyone Heard Of It?

This was emailed to me by my son who works in London...it was distributed throughout his company today...sounds nasty. Apparently it is a hoax...

Bogus Bin Laden Virus Bites Back - Smarthouse

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 12:21 PM
    To:
    Subject: Important Please read

Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!

If you get an email along the lines of 'Osama Bin Laden Captured'

or 'Osama Hanged' don't open the attachment.

This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe ..
    Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS:

You should be alert during the next days:
    Do not open any message with an attached filed called

'Invitation' regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts.

It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called 'invitation', though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.
    Last edited by JAD_333; 29 Oct 07,, 22:50.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Don't open any attachment unless you're actually waiting for one from someone you know. Even then pay attention to the file format and size. Usually viruses are very small, just a few kb. If you get an mpeg file in the megabyte range, it's usually safe.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Gunnut gives good advice.

Now let me quote Snopes on the E-mail you recieved

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Invitation or Olympic Torch Virus
      Invitation/Olympic Torch Virus

Virus: Invitation (aka Olympic Torch)

Example: [Collected via e-mail, 2006]
      WARNING

You should be alert during the next days: Do not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it. It is a virus
      that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
      Origins: The classics never go away, it seems, so just in time for the 2006 Winter Olympics someone has dusted off an old virus warning hoax (most commonly seen in its incarnation as the "[Virtual] Card for You" hoax) and reintroduced it as an "Olympic Torch" virus warning (also known as the "Invitation virus").

The bottom line is that this same basic hoax has been circulating in various languages since at least 2000, with occasional changes along the way. No such (incurable) virus exists, has been identified by McAfee, or was reported on by CNN.

Comment

I just delete all mail, that's not from someone I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Gunnut gives good advice.
          Exactly what I do. That email warning was circulated within a major company today...the man who sent it out didn't know it was a hoax...

anyway, my big challenge these days is trying to create a website...

all these pros giving advice...oh, it's easy.

Y'all know of a good site builder program; not one of those cheapos or on-line jobs...and what is a good program to build a header in...Photoshop CS3 is good, but expensive.

Comment

JAD, have you ever messed with Frontpage or Dream weaver? it will do fairly decent pages!

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
              JAD, have you ever messed with Frontpage or Dream weaver? it will do fairly decent pages!
              Not yet:) Heard of them. I am trying a Brit product Xsitepro. There's a full service outfit that makes a lot of claims called SiteBuildIT. It's tempting to just use a hosting service with free templates. Just working my way thru the jungle. Have to make some headers at the moment. What did you use?

Comment

Working...
              X