Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogfighters & Bombers: WWII Model Aircraft Contest

Dear Members,

On this 7th WAB Modelers Contest, the theme is WWII Aircraft. From the Messerschmidts to the B-29 Superfortress, P-51 Mustang to the A6M Zero, and the Battle of Britain to the fall of Japan, these aircraft revolutionized warfare as we know it, introducing vital concepts such as air supremacy and strategic bombing.

Both the Allies and Axis built exceptional aircraft, such as the Spitfire, Bf 109, Fw 190, C.205 Veltro, Yak 9, and F4F Wildcat, but it was the Allies who were to rule to skies.

Members are limited to one aircraft entry, and please limit submissions to five photos apiece. The entry thread will be open for one week, it will then be closed to submissions and a voting thread will be opened where members can vote for their favorite model. The winner, as usual, will win one tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies. Let's see those aircraft!
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

the spitfire very fine aircraft though lack range
    the Mustang better

Comment

Don't forget the Hawker Hurricane and the Battle of Britain;)

Comment

I'm personally waiting to see some Corsair fighters. Just love those gullwings!
        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
          I'm personally waiting to see some Corsair fighters. Just love those gullwings!
          My favorite fighter also Pete .
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

All suggestions are excellent.Heres some more for the contest,dehaviland mosquito,P 47 Thunderbolt,P38 lightning,japanese "George",japanese"Tony" and last but not least the Stuka J87.....Just some suggestions, I have built all of these ,but an unfourtunate fire melted them into memmories. hobogeo canada

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
              My favorite fighter also Pete .
              I actually forgot to mention the A6M Zero. Also a favorite of mine. Actually, as a kid, I think the first two fighters I was exposed (ie. the first fighter toys I had) to were P-40 Warhawk (painted Flying Tigers shark scheme) and then the Zero.

On a very remotely related topic, the first ship toy I had was a very simple model of battleship Musashi that I built in an afternoon at the age of about 10 or 11.

Yes, I've been a WW2 enthusiast since very young. I think the first WW2 book I read was something on the Second Sino-Japanese War during 3rd grade!
              Pete

Comment

Me262, the mother of all jets

Comment

All great aircraft that have been often modeled. Perhaps a rare one is the P-61 Black Widow nightfighter by Northrop. Especially the last model made at the end of WWII the P-61C . It was a beautiful twin boom, twin engine fighter that was faster than the P-38 and extremely agile, armed with 4ea 50.cal machine guns and 4ea 20mm cannon. This fighter was one of the two fighters that used tricycle landing gear, the other being the P-39 Aircobra

Comment

Ooops. Submitted under the wrong thread. Oh well, I'm just going to submit an old picture of my HO scale C-47. The C-47 was the Military version of the DC-3. She was commonly called the "Gooney Bird" though the official name was "Skytrain" as delivered from the factory. But the USN named it the R4D, airborne units named it the "Skytrooper" and the British named it the "Dakota".

Obviously this plane was not a bomber and definitely not a fighter, but she "bombed" with paratroopers from Europe to the Western Pacific. She flew supplies anywhere and everywhere including the "Hump" over Burma. So for a "non-combant" airplane, she was the most valuable plane of the war.

This model in 1:87 (HO) scale is put out by Walthers as part of their Cornerstone series of layout models besides their trains. They also have an HO scale model of (2) P-51 Mustangs (which I haven't put together yet).

I did not do much detailing of the model as my intent was for a layout of an airstrip alongside the railroad tracks with planes lined up for an air show and recruiting event. Just "home-front" semi-gloss Olive Drab, sky blue underside and the decals that came with the kit.

There is absolutely nothing special about it and I probably won't even vote for it myself. But being in HO scale is unusual enough to let other model builders know of its (and the P-51s) availability
                    Attached Files
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Hi all im finally not that dumb anymore..lol I hope you all see my picture of my B29 superfort.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Are you going to complete the model?

Comment

hobogeo, if you can, you should try to retake the picture in better lighting. It's still eligible, but presentation is half of it. :)
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Agreed! It is a good looking plane!!

Comment

Thanks Texas,Ironduke....Unfortunatly thats all the pictures remaining of that B29 .Ihad the plane finnished.Itook one more picture after I hung it from ceiling in my den,unfortunatly the plane and many more perished in the fire along with most of the pictures. It would not count in the contest as the model is from the korean war period not WW2. Thanks for the comments any how.

Comment

Working...
                              X