Most distinguished battleship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most distinguished battleship?

I'd like to know what you people think is the most distinguished battleship in modern history? Not the heaviest, prettiest, most durable or strongest armed, but the one with the most distinguished service record.

My nomination goes to the HMS Warspite, arguably the finest battleship the Royal Navy ever had. She served in both world wars and earned a reputation as a ship that simply refused to die. Her first engagement was the famous Battle of Jutland, in which she suffered heavy damage and dealt out the same. During the Norwegian campaign of WWII, Warspite provided essential battleship support during the Second Battle of Narvik, and one of the Warspite's seaplanes, a Fairey Swordfish, attacked and sunk a German U-boat, becoming the first airplane to sink a submarine. In the summer of 1940, Warspite was transferred to the Mediterrean, where she took part in several strategically important operations, the most notable of which was the Battle of Cape Matapan and the Battle of Calabria. During the Battle of Calabria, Warspite was credited with achieving the longest ranged naval gunnery hit on a moving target in history, hitting the Italian battleship Giulio Cesare from 23 kilometres (14.7 miles) away. She also took part in the Battle of Crete, and was heavily damaged by German bombers. After a short tour in the Indian theatre, Warspite returned to the Mediterranean, taking part in Operation Husky and, after Italian surrender, led the Italian fleet into internment at Malta. After severe damage by a German Fritz X (early type of anti-ship missile), Warspite was towed Gibraltar for repairs. She then was moved north and undertook her last duties bombarding the Normandy Beaches, Brest, La Havre and Walcheren. Warspite fired her formidable Mk. I 15 inch naval guns for the last time on November 1st, 1944. After the war, despite pleas to retain Warspite as a museum ship like the Nelson's Victory, the ship was sent to the broken up in 1947. She survived Jutland, the ferocity of the Second World War and the multiple RN cuts over the years, and even achieved one more small victory when she ran aground in Prussia Cove, avoiding the indignity of the breakers yards and making a defiant end to her career.

That is what I think is the greatest battleship in history, one of those ships whose name is synonymous with majesty and courage. We'll miss you Warspite.

When I read the thread title, Warspite came up in my mind as well. Not many ships can claim to have fought so doggedly and so widely.
    HD Ready?

Comment

To me (though I'm a prejudice Yankee) the South Dakota and Washington are tied.

South Dakota (aka Old Nameless) distinguished herself by shooting down 26 Japanese aircraft -- in one day. She was loaded with 20mm machineguns and no one has come up with an accurate arrangement because no overall photos were taken and they were not installed by a plan.

George McFaul was a shipfitter in the Brooklyn Navy Yard and tasked to mount as many MGs as he could anywhere and everywhere on the ship. I asked him how many and could he spot them on a deck drawing of the ship. He just shook his head and said, "Dick, I lost count after the third or fourth day. I had a wood mock up of the foundation, set it on deck, checked the swing circle, traced it with soapstone and my helpers installed them and welded them down. Other shops had their helpers standing by where they were going to put in a vent or piping run because they were afraid I was going to put a Machine Gun there."

But South Dakota had a problem later on with her electrical bus bars that operated her main turrets and the Karishima started broadsiding her (with the wrong ammo fortunately as she was to do shore fire support). Though South Dakota tried to fight back with her secondaries, they were of little or no effect even if they hit.

The Washington made an end run picking up Karishima's sillouette and laid in with all batteries. Today, she is still credited as the ONLY Battleship to take on and sink an enemy Battleship single-handedly. I met a man who was a gunner's mate in one of the 5-inch mounts who built an extraordinary detailed model of the ship. I was able to help him a bit by finding a full set of drawings of the boat and airplane crane mounted on the fantail.

But that's my own personal opinion and don't really care what history book writers set as their own criteria. After all, they are probably prejudiced also.
      Last edited by RustyBattleship; 28 Oct 07,, 18:37.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

mh..the Seeadler *g* yeah I know..its not a battleship..and its carrer not as long as your candites..but come on...its story (and of its Captain and crew) is one of the best.

Comment

USS Monitor

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            But South Dakota had a problem later on with her electrical bus bars that operated her main turrets and the Musashi started broadsiding her

(snip)

The Washington made an end run picking up Musashi's sillouette and laid in with all batteries.
            Kirishima it was, not Musashi.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipwreck View Post
              Kirishima it was, not Musashi.
              ARRRRGH! They say the memory goes first. And I think mine just drove down the street.

Thanks for correcting my slip in brain cells. I have gone back in and edited it.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                mh..the Seeadler *g* yeah I know..its not a battleship..and its carrer not as long as your candites..but come on...its story (and of its Captain and crew) is one of the best.
                Definitely a hell of a sea story.

Have you read The Cruise of the Sea Eagle yet? It came out in 2005 and was my introduction to Von Luckner.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Have you read The Cruise of the Sea Eagle yet? It came out in 2005 and was my introduction to Von Luckner.
                  Great story...old time privateering under sail .
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Its ordered but they dont deliver into hospitals so I have to wait until I am out of here.

Comment

Yes all of you guys make very good points the Iowa battleship were the strongest and some of the most magnificent ships ever made, but the greatest battleship is the one whose name still reminds us of dash and courage. This being the great Bismark. Some might say that its lifespan was as little to short but it managed to sink the Hood and almost escaped from one of the greatest fleets ever assembled to hunt one single ship. It also striked more fear and shook the foundation of the Royal Navy than any other ship. For this reasons the Bismarck is the greatest battleship ever.
                      Grand Admiral Thrawn

Comment

The Bismarck lasted precisely one mission, BTW. It looks impressive, I'll grant you that, but that doesn't equal distinguished. That just equals famous.

Comment

IMO A top three of each countries Navy would start the process. What I mean is that from three of each Navy show the stepping stones that made the particular ship in question the most distinguished from each Navy.

I dont think we can all agree on the very same ship. Should prove interesting.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

how about the USS Oregon BB3, her corageous sail from San Francisco to Florida, beating the clipper ships records, then her being the only American BB that was ready for action when the Spanish broke out of Santiago Cuba, and too action against 6 Spanish ships, that should have been able too outrun her if not outgun her..

the only man ever killed onboard was someone watching a movie on her hulk in Guam during WW2, when he fell through an open manhole (after all her superstructure had been removed and she was being used as an ammunition barge)

Comment

have to agree with the original poster

the service rendered by HMS Warpsite over 30+ years through two major wars puts her into anthother league

read she is on record of being the most heavily damaged ship in RN history.

Comment

Working...
                              X