PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of the Panzers!

Ironduke
24 Oct 07,, 23:57
Remember to login to cast your vote!

Dear Members,

It is now time to cast your vote for your what you think is the better model tank. This contest has turned into a Battle of the Panzers, a Panzer IV vs. Panzer V (Panther). In the battle of Panzers and votes, which Panzer will come out on top?

Weighing in at 25 tons, Nord's Panzer IV Version D took part in the Ardennes Campaign in 1940, and though originally designed as an infantry support tank, saw extensive use throughout the war. This tank served as the bread and butter of the German Panzer armies.

Weighing in at 45 tons, Shamus's Panzer V (Panther) was designed to counter the T-34, and saw action on both the Eastern and Western Fronts, and was well-known for rounds simply bouncing off its thick armor.

Cast your vote, and may the best tank win!

Ironduke

RustyBattleship
25 Oct 07,, 00:22
Well, Nord's Panzer IV definitely got my vote for the excrutiating fine painting detail right down to leather tie down straps. Must have taken him months just for the painting.

Shamus' Panther is excellent and his selection of camo pattern is terrific -- except for one thing -- he should have gone back over the tools, tow cables, pioneering equipment and other tie down items to make it look like the hull was camo painted and the equipment put back on afterwards.

But then, I wouldn't have probably have the eyes or dexterity left to do that myself.

gunnut
25 Oct 07,, 00:39
Nord paid more attention to the details of the physics of the tank.

Shamus's Panther has straight tracks on the top.

Nord's Panzer has tracks that kinda drooped over the wheels and sprockets.

I'm not saying Shamus's Panther is bad. It's 100 times better than mine. It's just Nord beat him out on the details.

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 03:58
HooooWeeeee.....well,I know when to concede a poll before midnight:rolleyes: .To the two people who voted for me....thank you very much,your checks are in the mail:biggrin: .

Awesome job on your Panzer Nord,I voted for it,your detailing was incredible:) .

nizawa
25 Oct 07,, 04:33
I vote the Panzer IV, not only for the wonderful model, also for wonderful
skill to make the presentation photos. I am impressed.

tankie
25 Oct 07,, 09:07
HooooWeeeee.....well,I know when to concede a poll before midnight:rolleyes: .To the two people who voted for me....thank you very much,your checks are in the mail:biggrin: .

Awesome job on your Panzer Nord,I voted for it,your detailing was incredible:) .

5 , of which of course im one , but the nords is a tad better ,but please send check to , RAC benevolent fund Bovington camp uk,, or if you prefer , send it to me and i will make sure it gets spemtid wiserlly , hic:biggrin:

ExNavyAmerican
25 Oct 07,, 09:54
Both are detailed, but I agree with the majority. Nord's is more so.

dave lukins
25 Oct 07,, 10:27
Nord just pips Shamus to the post on detail..both are very good, well done guys;)

Ironduke
25 Oct 07,, 10:31
If these were real Panzers manned by German crews, I think we know what the results would be! Props to Shamus for making the model that would win a real contest. ;) (Though I'm sure Nord has a Panzer V in his collection somewhere -- I'd really like to see it).

Nord
25 Oct 07,, 10:59
(Though I'm sure Nord has a Panzer V in his collection somewhere -- I'd really like to see it).

ok just a a little look then...

:P

Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf.G Sd. Kfz. 171

http://armor.se/images/Panzer/IMG_2321.jpg

http://armor.se/images/Panzer/IMG_2323.jpg

http://armor.se/images/Panzer/IMG_2343.jpg

http://armor.se/images/Panzer/IMG_2318.jpg

Shamus, what kind of Panther is yours? G?

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 11:38
Yep,it's a G Nord.That is an awesome Panther Nord,I like how you have shown battle damage and slight rust on the body of the tank,very nice.

Nord
25 Oct 07,, 11:43
The gunmantlet looks strange on your Panther... A late edition?

I found the answer..it`s a late model of G´s

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 11:45
The gunmantlet looks strange on your Panther... A late edition?I'm assuming so,how did you do the rust on your Panther,it looks great and what company made your kit?

Nord
25 Oct 07,, 11:49
I think it was a Tamayia, but it was almost 10years ago so I don`t really remember...

The rust I made out of....RUST!

I put a piece of metal in water and waited for the rust..then I applied the rusty water, and viola!

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 11:50
I think it was a Tamayia, but it was almost 10years ago so I don`t really remember...

I put a piece of metal in water and waited for the rust..then I applied the rusty water, and viola!Can't beat that for realism:biggrin: .

Nord
25 Oct 07,, 11:54
Hehe :biggrin:

tlturbo
25 Oct 07,, 15:20
Damn guys, those are outrageous. I grew up building models but your painting and attention to details would make me burn all of mine if I still had them. I love the last pictures with the soldiers, etc. About 5 years ago I was in a .50 cal fun shoot had the chance to shoot an MG-42 on the adjustable tripod with the remote trigger. Sure sounds a lot neater ripping off 50 rounds than my 21 Thompson. Guy with an M-60 turned to my 15 year old son and handed him an ammo box and said "have fun". I thought he was gonna crap his pants.

Congrats to you both.

furkensturker
25 Oct 07,, 15:43
Hope I'm not too late to vote?

By gee, both are good models. I'm no expert, but I can be bought.

Who's offering the biggest bribe.

You guys have a bit of pull with the boss,

A promotion form "REGULAR" to something with a bit more pazaz, say, underwater panelbeater? (did a fair bit of that in my time)

Freddie

crooks
25 Oct 07,, 15:45
Both of you should be very proud - excellent models lads, I think Shamus' camo in particular is extremely impressive and Nord the sheer detail is amazing - have you ever entered any proper model tournements?

I've attended the Dublin Model show and yours is better than half the winners!

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 15:56
something with a bit more pazaz, say, underwater panelbeater? (did a fair bit of that in my time)

FreddieFreddie,I am almost afraid to ask....what is an underwater panelbeater??

furkensturker
25 Oct 07,, 16:23
Underwater Panelbeater is a very important and highly skilled job in the Military, no matter what country you come from.

It's one step above "DIXI BASHER", I refer to the poor bastard who has to wash pots and pans in the mess. As a young digger, I did my fair share of the underwater trade, mainly the Sgt's Mess. It was a right of passage that everyone had to do two weeks at the Sgts Mess.

They had an automatic, all singing, all dancing, whizz bang dishwasher that would be the envy of any five star hotel, The only trouble was, it sat in a wooden box beside the back door of the kitchen for at least 2 1/2 years that I know of.

So we had to resort to Steelo soap pads and an a3 size tin, strung under the hot tap with half a dozen bars of Velvet laundry soap in it. Apart from being in the stone age, the velvet soap is better than any dishwashing liquid.

In my food business, we use the tomato tin filled with velvet. Old habits die hard.

Freddie

Shamus
25 Oct 07,, 16:53
Thanks for the explanation Freddie,now I can tell the wife "Whadda ya think I am,an underwater panelbeater?"when she wants help with the dishes;) .

dalem
25 Oct 07,, 22:35
Both are great, but I had to go with the PzIV, mainly because the PZIV C/D models aren't often done compared to the Panther.

But they're both better than I could do, and better than the Bradley IFV I was going to submit. I HAVE to get my digital camera working again.

-dale

texasjohn
26 Oct 07,, 04:30

I put a piece of metal in water and waited for the rust..then I applied the rusty water, and viola!

Nord, the wagon beside the tank - what was it called?? Kubel.....????

Nord
26 Oct 07,, 10:30
Hi Texas...

It was called Horch 4x4 1a.

smilingassassin
26 Oct 07,, 19:13
Both are great, but I had to go with the PzIV, mainly because the PZIV C/D models aren't often done compared to the Panther.

But they're both better than I could do, and better than the Bradley IFV I was going to submit. I HAVE to get my digital camera working again.

-dale

Ha, I finally got myself a digital camera, unfortunately haven't started any of my larger scale armour kits yet, only my 1/76 scale stuff which I packed into a box while I clean/swap my shelving.

Perhaps the next contest!

texasjohn
26 Oct 07,, 22:07
Hi Texas...

It was called Horch 4x4 1a.

Just like this one?

Nord
26 Oct 07,, 23:25
Yes that`s the one...

http://armor.se/images/Panzer/IMG_2330.jpg

tlturbo
26 Oct 07,, 23:30
That is soooo cool - DIRTY WINDOWS and the wiper sweeps. Talk about detail. It's probably a GOOD thing your displays DON'T contain latrines. No telling HOW you would detail those.

RustyBattleship
26 Oct 07,, 23:41
That is soooo cool - DIRTY WINDOWS and the wiper sweeps. Talk about detail. It's probably a GOOD thing your displays DON'T contain latrines. No telling HOW you would detail those.

I don't wanna know.

texasjohn
27 Oct 07,, 00:36
I don't wanna know.

Rusty, don't you remember Nord's entry in the diarama with the German taking a pee?? I think he is working on the toilets...:))

RustyBattleship
27 Oct 07,, 04:58
Rusty, don't you remember Nord's entry in the diarama with the German taking a pee?? I think he is working on the toilets...:))

Well, if he uses a router on the table top display, he can save a lot of time and just have an open latrine. You could probably take a machine gunner and modify it to look like a guy squatting over it.

furkensturker
27 Oct 07,, 05:27
From Shamus;

Freddie,I am almost afraid to ask....what is an underwater panelbeater??

================================================== =

Pssst, Shamus, have you talked to the Boss about my promotion yet?

Desdemona
27 Oct 07,, 17:58
Incredible creations!

ShawnG
06 Feb 08,, 21:54
I couldn't build a model to compete with Nord anywhere anyplace anytime. I just sit back and hail to the king.

marklv
07 Feb 08,, 01:25
Shawn, is your avatar a picture of McCain while straining on the potty?

ShawnG
07 Feb 08,, 14:22
Shawn, is your avatar a picture of McCain while straining on the potty?

I am presently unsure. It's that... or he is staring down Bluto for hitting on Olive Oyle after eating his can of spinach... and he is missing his pipe. :biggrin: "Ahhkaakaakakakakakaka"

T_igger_cs_30
07 Feb 08,, 14:29
Kudos to both members for excellent work, but Nord takes the cookies. Echoing the words of Shawn G, "hail to the king".

Stitch
19 Jan 09,, 18:53
The gunmantlet looks strange on your Panther... A late edition?

I found the answer..it`s a late model of Gs

Yes, the mantlet's on late-model G's had an extra "lip" on the bottom to prevent the shot-trap the original mantlet had.

DragoonGuard
24 Jun 09,, 19:17
They are both superb...

But I had to go for the Panzer IV........Something about the way the tracks hang on the Panther put me off......

RustyBattleship
27 Jun 09,, 23:50
A member of one of the associations I belong to is having some problems putting together a Mk 1 Tiger tank. It's taking him a long time and when he got it, it was missing some parts and others were damaged.

Too bad the company doesn't make that kit anymore.

Oh yeah! I forgot one little itsy bitsy detail. It's in 1:1 scale.