Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's first lunar probe Chang'e-1 blasts off

Xinhua - English

XICHANG, Sichuan, Oct. 24 (Xinhua) -- China launched its first lunar probe on Wednesday, the first step into its ambitious three-stage moon mission, marking a new milestone in the country's space exploration history.

The circumlunar satellite Chang'e-1 blasted off on a Long March3A carrier rocket at 6:05 p.m. from the No. 3 launching tower in the Xichang Satellite Launch Center of southwestern Sichuan Province.

Chinese space experts, technicians and other work staff, joined by experts from Japan, Germany and other countries as well as millions of domestic audience from across the country, were watching the launching process.

Chang'e-1, named after a legendary Chinese goddess who is said to have flied to the moon, is expected to enter earth-moon transfer orbit on October 31 and arrive in the moon's orbit on November 5.

Flying to the moon is the nation's long cherished dream, as Chang'e has been worshipped as the "moon lady" for thousands of years. She floated toward the sky and finally landed on the moon, where she became a goddess accompanied by a jade rabbit, after taking a bottle of elixir
    :) :) :)

Space exploration marks one of the most positive achievements in the human experience & we may ever be justified in focusing on a future of promise, solutions & blessings for all mankind.

"As soon as somebody demonstrates the art of flying, settlers from our species of man will not be lacking... Given ships or sails adapted to the breezes of heaven, there will be those who will not shrink from even that vast expanse."

Johannes Kepler,
    in a letter to Galileo, 1610
    "If we will not be governed by God then we will be ruled by tyrants" -William Penn

Comment

The Chinese are playing catch-up, just like in all other areas.

Comment

Hell, can't let those Japanese get too far ahead.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

it is cheaper to play catch up then lead the way... *look at US debt*

Comment

That's a loser's consolation. Which explains why China sent its first astronaut to space half a decade later than the US.

Comment

That's a loser's consolation. Which explains why China sent its first astronaut to space half a decade later than the US.
              it is call a century. :D and how you can be a loser if you ain't competing is beyond logic. china has more important things to do like feeding the people. :P

i would rather not tax the people just to fly to the moon and return with nothing but rocks. if i am going to the moon, i want to go there with purpose, not just to say "haha i win..." like a 5 year old..

Comment

To compare countries like China with USA is just not fair. they entered the game too late and with too many handicaps. But they are not going to remain so far behind for long.

Expect the technology difference between the USA and the second rung countries like China and India to get reduced to just 5-10 years in the not too distant future.
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

aye, a century it is. :)

Comment

[QUOTE=WhamBam;428038]To compare countries like China with USA is just not fair. they entered the game too late and with too many handicaps. But they are not going to remain so far behind for long.

Expect the technology difference between the USA and the second rung countries like China and India to get reduced to just 5-10 years in the not too distant future.

Do you really believe this? What percentage of the countries involved are literate? Does everybody have access to electricity and running water? Now look at the infrastructures of those countries. The USA has it in spades, China is investing heavily in it. How does India compare in this regard? I am bound to be accused of being 'anti-Indian' by the usual suspects, but all I am doing is to ask you to be realistic. Less patrioteering BS would help.
                    Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by WhamBam View Post
                      To compare countries like China with USA is just not fair. they entered the game too late and with too many handicaps. But they are not going to remain so far behind for long.

wham,i dont think this is going to happen.atleast not in the near future.
                      in a few sectors it may be possible, but to replicate it across the board would be very very difficult and requires a decisive polity.Something which we sorely lack.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;428048]
                        Originally posted by WhamBam View Post

Do you really believe this? What percentage of the countries involved are literate? Does everybody have access to electricity and running water? Now look at the infrastructures of those countries. The USA has it in spades, China is investing heavily in it. How does India compare in this regard? I am bound to be accused of being 'anti-Indian' by the usual suspects, but all I am doing is to ask you to be realistic. Less patrioteering BS would help.
                        You are right when you talk about infrastructure, literacy and running water etc. But we are not talking about that here. I am not talking about India becoming a superpower or something. Not going to happen for a loooooooong time.

What I only wanted to say is that countries like India (I am not talking for China here) are complex entities simultaneously living in multiple ages. So you may have all the issues that you talk about so rightly and still there is an Indian super computer in the top 10 in the world if I am right. India is some power to contend with in the space sector, may be few decades behind USA. So even with all the issue that you so kindly helped pinpoint, with focussed effort the technology gap in the high technology area can be narrowed down. I have no doubts regarding the capability of Indian scientists, the issue is with funding and management. This is not an unsurmountable problem.
                        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by physicsmonk View Post
                          wham,i dont think this is going to happen.atleast not in the near future.
                          in a few sectors it may be possible, but to replicate it across the board would be very very difficult and requires a decisive polity.Something which we sorely lack.
                          I totally agree with you. I am not even talking about all round excellence like the USA, only focussed efforts in niche areas. With that we can reduce the gap in the target areas. That is all I am saying not some patriotic hyperbole.

So I am sorry if I was not clear the first time. Hope it is more clear now.

Comment

One advantage that we have is that we can learn from the successes and failures of others. So we can leapfrog if you will. We know what works and what does not. A cliched example would be mobile phones where India has bypassed the landline age to directly enter the mobile age. Same may happen with wireless internet. So we need to invest much less to play catch up.

Comment

[QUOTE=WhamBam;428063]

You are right when you talk about infrastructure, literacy and running water etc. But we are not talking about that here. I am not talking about India becoming a superpower or something. Not going to happen for a loooooooong time.

Which is rather different from your statement

Every country has to evolve in its own way. There is no 'one size fits all' solution. You will have to find what you can produce using (mostly) your own people. Technology transfers offer one way forward, but then you would always be a step or two behind. Find the niche markets, and put your best brains and finest craftmen to them. Gain a reputation for quality. Market the products properly with ample back-up. One possible problem that I forsee is the administrative one. Not to put too fine a point on it, it is known for being slow. If you are kept waiting interminably for decisions from management you will lose ground in the market place. Nimbler competitors will take your place. India can find its place in the sun. Perhaps the new generation of managers will be more modern in outlook.Graduates are turning out in huge numbers. Much of the basic structure is there in place. The question is - what are you going to do next?
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X