PDA

View Full Version : Any Nervous Habits?

THL
19 Oct 07,, 21:04
I scratch my forehead...not rub, but actually scratch until there are red marks or scratches. I also flutter my feet or tug at my bottom lip.

entropy
19 Oct 07,, 21:15
I do the same with my bottom lip. I also play with random objects that are within the reach of my hands, such as buttons on my jacket.

Shamus
19 Oct 07,, 21:41
Does cocking and un-cocking a .45 while whistling "Moon River" count as a nervous habit??:confused:

mike nickeas
19 Oct 07,, 21:45
Yes it does......:eek:

Shamus
19 Oct 07,, 21:47
Yes it does......:eek:Uhhh....I have a nervous habit then....heh...:redface: .

Officer of Engineers
19 Oct 07,, 21:47
Does looking through the window, checking wife's mood before entering house count?

Shamus
19 Oct 07,, 21:49
Does looking through the window, checking wife's mood before entering house count?That sir,is known as a survival skill;) .

crooks
19 Oct 07,, 22:08
Occasionally bite my nails - not a nice habit I know, detested by my fiance.

HistoricalDavid
19 Oct 07,, 22:10
Degenerating into incoherent mumbling - or rather, incoherently mumble even more than I normally do.

Southie
19 Oct 07,, 22:27
I have a habit of twirling my hair when I'm nervous. I actually had it written up as distracting by my boss in Korea on my annual report. So, then I was even more nervous and was twirling my hair even more!

dalem
19 Oct 07,, 22:45
I'm a pacer.

Not so much a nervous habit, but it overlaps.

At the funeral service for my dad a couple of months ago, while we were waiting to go into the church proper, my uncle came over after a bit and did a nice tension-reliever by imploring me to have pity on the church as they couldn't afford new rugs. ;)

-dale

jame$thegreat
19 Oct 07,, 23:18
Silence. I am generally pretty outgoing until I am nervous, in which case I say nothing. I generally detach myself from situations that cause me to become nervous.

wkllaw
20 Oct 07,, 00:50
I tend to move as fast as possible when I'm nervous.

dave lukins
20 Oct 07,, 00:54
Does looking through the window, checking wife's mood before entering house count?

Does it count if I look through the window to check your wifes mood?:))

ChrisF202
20 Oct 07,, 00:57
I have a very bad habit of biting my nails, I dont even notice it and I just do it.

I think I might have to try the clear nail polish trick.

TopHatter
20 Oct 07,, 01:01
Rubbing my chin raw...shredding/destroying whatever small objects are in reach with my hands...

If I'm about ready to explode in a fury because some complete assh--le that I have to be cordial with when all I really want to do is grab his throat and squeeze until there's no reason to squeeze anymore, I'll stand at a loose parade-rest with my hands behind my back, clenching and unclenching my fists, all the while intentionally stammering my words out to buy time enough to try and calm down.

But I digress...

Southie
20 Oct 07,, 12:40
I also count the steps in my mind when I'm going up or down stairs! I have 16!

THL
20 Oct 07,, 12:49

I do that too! I count steps when I am just walking from one place to another.

I also have been grinding my teeth and it is really starting to bug me.

Tarek Morgen
20 Oct 07,, 13:24

I do that when I fall them down (and due my equilibrioception not working properly it happens quite often).

dave lukins
20 Oct 07,, 13:25
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure:))

Southie
20 Oct 07,, 13:40
Oh, and I'm ashamed to admit, smoking! :redface: Quit for about 1 1/2 years but stress led me back to it! And cleaning! When I'm not smoking I'm cleaning. And I clean alot which keeps me from smoking. Maybe it's OCD because I have to have everything in it's place and I'm always straightening things. And rambling!!! I come from a long line of ramblers!

dalem
20 Oct 07,, 20:38
I do that too! I count steps when I am just walking from one place to another.

I also have been grinding my teeth and it is really starting to bug me.

Try to sleep so that you're not putting pressure on your lower jaw. Long story short, it worked for me. PM me if you want details.

-dale

entropy
20 Oct 07,, 20:40
Try to sleep so that you're not putting pressure on your lower jaw. Long story short, it worked for me. PM me if you want details.

-dale

Do tell! A female friend of mine, that I, well, sometimes happen to sleep in close proximity of, has the same thing and it can be irritating.

THL
20 Oct 07,, 20:41
I am also interested in how I would be putting pressure on my lower jaw. But I do this during the day when i am wide awake as well.

Debbie
20 Oct 07,, 20:42
Oh, and I'm ashamed to admit, smoking! :redface: Quit for about 1 1/2 years but stress led me back to it! And cleaning! When I'm not smoking I'm cleaning. And I clean alot which keeps me from smoking. Maybe it's OCD because I have to have everything in it's place and I'm always straightening things. And rambling!!! I come from a long line of ramblers!

This cleaning thing - you ever have an urge to fly to another state and do that?

Maggot
21 Oct 07,, 01:39
When I'm sitting down I often start twitching my leg, sometimes to the point where a room can start oscillating. I find it relaxing, others not so much...

dave lukins
21 Oct 07,, 01:52
Do tell! A female friend of mine, that I, well, sometimes happen to sleep in close proximity of, has the same thing and it can be irritating.

and painful when other wise occupied;)

Like eating Pizza

dalem
21 Oct 07,, 09:33
I am also interested in how I would be putting pressure on my lower jaw. But I do this during the day when i am wide awake as well.

Long story short:

Dentist: "Do you grind your teeth?"

Dale: "No, of course not."

He: "Are you sure? It looks like you might."

Me: "Of course not, but my mom does. Of course, there was the other week when I woke up and couldn't close my mouth fully (much to the relief of some), and I regularly wake up with shooting pains in my neck and back which keep me up all night, and sometimes I turn my head and it feels like I'm being stabbed in the neck with a leather awl. And I've got this "thing" where sometimes I accidentally crack my jaw while closing it and it sounds like a Colt .45 going off and hurts like hell and my childhood dentist told me to never, ever do that. But no, I don't grind my teeth."

He: "Hmm. Sounds like you grind your teeth. How do you sleep?"

Me: "Usually on my stomach with my pillow bunched up under my head."

He: "Hmmmm. Why don't you try sleeping on your back or side without any pressure on your lower jaw?"

Me: "Oh, okay, Mister Dentist-Man, I'll try it your way."

Weeks later...

Me: "Holy crap, I haven't had shooting pains in my neck for weeks."

And it's been that way ever since. Of course when I mentioned it to my mom she told me that my oldest sister has had to get a "bit" fitted for her teeth grinding, and my other sister experienced similar issues.

Anyway, try sleeping on your back or side. And listen to your dentist. :)

-dale

THL
21 Oct 07,, 13:39
Long story short:

Dentist: "Do you grind your teeth?"

Dale: "No, of course not."

He: "Are you sure? It looks like you might."

Me: "Of course not, but my mom does. Of course, there was the other week when I woke up and couldn't close my mouth fully (much to the relief of some), and I regularly wake up with shooting pains in my neck and back which keep me up all night, and sometimes I turn my head and it feels like I'm being stabbed in the neck with a leather awl. And I've got this "thing" where sometimes I accidentally crack my jaw while closing it and it sounds like a Colt .45 going off and hurts like hell and my childhood dentist told me to never, ever do that. But no, I don't grind my teeth."

He: "Hmm. Sounds like you grind your teeth. How do you sleep?"

Me: "Usually on my stomach with my pillow bunched up under my head."

He: "Hmmmm. Why don't you try sleeping on your back or side without any pressure on your lower jaw?"

Me: "Oh, okay, Mister Dentist-Man, I'll try it your way."

Weeks later...

Me: "Holy crap, I haven't had shooting pains in my neck for weeks."

And it's been that way ever since. Of course when I mentioned it to my mom she told me that my oldest sister has had to get a "bit" fitted for her teeth grinding, and my other sister experienced similar issues.

Anyway, try sleeping on your back or side. And listen to your dentist. :)

-dale
I do sleep on my back or side...I actually grind my teeth during the day and not at night.

But the comments about the shooting pain in the neck strikes my attention...I have had these pains from the lower part of my neck into the center of my head a few times a day now, mostly everyday, for a few months...which is about how long I have been grinding my teeth!! I have been to the Dr twice about the pains in my neck and have been told that it seems to be a sensitive nerve ending. It could really be related to my grinding of the teeth?! WoW!! We all will have appts for the dentist next month, I am going to have to ask him about this. I was starting to think it was related to some neck problems I had last year even though it is completely different and the symptoms are not the same even in the slightest. Thank you, Dale!:)

Trooth
21 Oct 07,, 13:46
I used to fiddle with a forelock of hair. However it seems to be retreating out of the way .....

I developed a habit of rubbing my hands together "with glee". I have no idea where it came from. I think it is going now.

THL
21 Oct 07,, 13:52
I developed a habit of rubbing my hands together "with glee". I have no idea where it came from. I think it is going now.

Okay. Now honestly. How many of you that just read this post actually did that with your hands and smiled?

*THL raises her hand*

Southie
22 Oct 07,, 19:29
This cleaning thing - you ever have an urge to fly to another state and do that?

Never been to WI before! And crazy as it sounds, I do like to clean other peoples houses! :biggrin:

Debbie
22 Oct 07,, 21:47
Never been to WI before! And crazy as it sounds, I do like to clean other peoples houses! :biggrin:

Debbie now thinking, would Southie clean the barn out too?

Skull6
22 Oct 07,, 23:14
LOL. I turn my wedding band around my finger--it calms me to know that Mrs. Skull6 loves me SOOOO much, that she gave me this HUGE wedding band (wider than most class rings!) to wear. (I really suspect she gave it to me as a visual warning to all you other ladies out there, that might have wicked thoughts about me when I'm not looking!)

:biggrin: :rolleyes: :tongue:

Southie
23 Oct 07,, 01:09
Debbie now thinking, would Southie clean the barn out too?

Provide a nice refreshing drink, and why not! And must have music while cleaning. :)

Debbie
23 Oct 07,, 03:23
Provide a nice refreshing drink, and why not! And must have music while cleaning. :)

You are a crazy woman, but I like that.:biggrin: