Beer & Spirits thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer & Spirits thread

There's been enough talk on the forum about the drinks we enjoy, so I thought I'd open up a thread dedicated to just that.

My current favorite beer is the Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss. Brewed in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Used to be a microbrew, but it's owned by MillerSAB. I don't think that really makes a difference.

The Honey Weiss is a pale lager, has a bit more body than a standard light beer but not quite as much as a standard regular beer. Has a slight honey aftertaste. Usually served with a lemon, I forgo it as it masks the subtle honey aftertaste.

Leine's Oktoberfest has the taste of an Oktoberfest beer but a bit lighter. Their Sunset Wheat is like a Belgian white beer with coriander. Both are good beers but I can't drink to many Sunset Wheats... the coriander gets to me after a few.

I bought a Sam Adams sampler pack. I didn't like their Honey Porter, much too heavy for me. The Boston Lager is pretty good, and so is the Scotch Ale. It uses "a rare peat-smoked malt used in scotch whiskies". The smoky flavor is subtle and it goes down pretty smooth. I don't know if real Scotch Ales used smoked malts or not, or it's some American contraption. There's 3 more flavors I've yet to try.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

If anyone has even been to Belgium, they certainly have tried some of the many good beers here. The beer here has a special taste, which is not to be compared with German and Czech beer. De Koninck is my favourite, especially the dark one.

When it comes down to spirits, I have to disappoint some of you as I am not a scotch man, but rather an appreciator of brandy and herb liquor. My favourite brandy is the Greek Metaxa, that is as good as or even better than most Cognacs.
    Becherovka, a Czech ginger liquor is one of the best spirits I ever had. I tried it in Prag when we went there with school (the trip would shock some of the more conservative forum members, since 17-18 year old students sat and drunk whiskey and other drinks together with teachers while smoking cigars every evening), and it was good. Does have a distinct ginger taste, but is one of the best I ever had.

Ironduke,

Beer with coriander? Is that similar to the cherry beer drunk in Belgium? Sounds like a very interesting combination!
    Last edited by entropy; 18 Oct 07,, 11:05. Reason: confused Parihaka with Ironduke.

Comment

Metaxa Brandy, yum!. I like to make Brandy Sweet from it. Metaxa, lemon squash, angastura bitters topped up with lemonade(sweet) or Soda for Brandy Sour

Comment

Beer with coriander? Is that similar to the cherry beer drunk in Belgium? Sounds like a very interesting combination!
        Hmm... one of my friends said "it tastes like Fruity Pebbles". Witbier.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Oh the Joys of being teetotal:

Used to love the odd Guinness, lovely taste, sorta creamy.......standard beers, Miller was nice, as was Murphy's (brewed down the road from me).
          When I wasn't feeling sqeamish, went for a Beamish (best ad campaign ever ;) ).

And Liked Whiskey as well, mostly Jameson - American Bourbon is quite nice, as are some continental wines and beers (though they're an aqquired taste imo, and hideously expensive).
          Mostly can't stand Scotch .
          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            Metaxa Brandy, yum!. I like to make Brandy Sweet from it. Metaxa, lemon squash, angastura bitters topped up with lemonade(sweet) or Soda for Brandy Sour
            Never tried it. What is the percentual consistence of each ingredient?

The weekend is approaching, I might have something to look forward to!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              Never tried it. What is the percentual consistence of each ingredient?

The weekend is approaching, I might have something to look forward to!
              Just a splash of squash..a few shakes of bitters, a measure of Metaxa topped up with Lemonade/soda.(for an extra touch, rub the rim of the glass with squash and dip it into sugar.;)

Comment

i thought we had a WAB Bartender? so, where the heck is he??

any of you try SF's "anchor steam" beer? it is pretty tasty. "blue moon" beer is also pretty decent, as well- you need an orange on the top tho.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

IronDuke Reply

Back in the late seventies, Wisconsin had a number of small brewers, though not formally microbreweries. Rather, these were leftover legacies of the pre-war national inclination toward smaller and local brews before Bud and Miller/Pabst/Schlitz distributed their way into the national consciousness with satellite breweries everywhere.

Leinenkugel was one of those small beers. We'd be picking up a case on the way back from class on Fridays in the fall at Madison (heaven on earth). So too Point and Rhinelander. Great little beers not unlike Rolling Rock. It's funny because W.W. II did horrible damage to the small brewery in America though introducing hundreds of thousands of American lads to the pleasure of beer. Oddly enough, many of them learned first on warm ales served in England, New Zealand, and Australia and finished their palate with a good Dutch lager or Czech/German pilsner before returning home.

What strikes me as interesting is that, having been exposed to the finest brews in the world as a result of the war, our boys hastened for the mass-production swill of Miller/Bud/Schlitz/Pabst at the expense of even the many fine small breweries in their own country.

Glad it's finally gone full circle though, for my money, Pilsner Urquell really is the finest.

Not sure where that came from...guess I'm trying to rationalize a brewski at one o'clock on Friday. Sure am thirsty!:))
                  "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Urquell is a good one indeed. Drank tons of it in the Czech Republic.

Comment

i never got used to warm alcohol. even warm sake tastes really strange to me.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

At home I drink Nelson (Nelson Mandela = Stella)

Click image for larger version

Name:	s_stella-artois.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1433119

I like Erdinger when I go out on the pop

Name:	P2140932.jpg
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1433121

and I have a real weak spot for this whiskey, It hits the spot, flicks all the switches etc etc, imo the best whisky a man can get.

Name:	old_pulteney.jpg
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1433120

:))
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X