Question for rusty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for rusty

Rusty I enjoy reading your posts on this sub forum but as I was passing portsmouth today I wondered something.

If you could have had a chance to have a look around any of the world battleships

which would you choose and why- top 5.

sorry really interested
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

open this up to every one of course.

Being from the UK i would love to have had a look around,

Hood

North Carolina

Bismark

Nevada

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

..........which would you choose and why- top 5.

open this up to every one of course.

Being from the UK i would love to have had a look around,

Hood

North Carolina

Bismark

Nevada
      You only listed four.. :)

I don't really have any favorites, but to anyone who knows me, it's no surprise.

Those are the really big boats with guns, right?

Comment

cant think of a 5th I would like to look around

Comment

cant think of a 5th I would like to look around
          I'd have to believe that to get on cRusty's good side (like he really has one....) you'd have to at least pick an Iowa Class museum piece.

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
            I'd have to believe that to get on cRusty's good side (like he really has one....) you'd have to at least pick an Iowa Class museum piece.
            You are SOOOOO right.

If the ships could be brought back from their watery graves or museums, I would pick:

ANY of the four Iowa class ships. Because I worked on all four of them.

The Bismarck or Tirpitz.

The Yamato.

The Jean Bart.

The Nevada (The Japanese couldn't sink her at Pearl Harbor, she survived two atomic bombs and it took hours of shelling and torpedos to finally sink her in deep water). I have seen films of equipment inside of her breaking loose from their mounts from the Atom bomb shocks. I would really like to crawl around in her to find where the secret tough spots really were.

Bonus (non BB) ship:
            Though not a Battleship, I always thought the Sverdlov class cruisers were really neat looking ships.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

1) Arizona
              2) Bismark
              3) Vittorio Vineto or Roma
              4) Hood
              5) Jean Bart

Left the "Iowas" out for obvious reasoning.:)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                1) Arizona
                2) Bismark
                3) Vittorio Vineto or Roma
                4) Hood
                5) Jean Bart

Left the "Iowas" out for obvious reasoning.:)
                Hmm... it's not obvious to me.

Let's see, cRusty worked on them and he lists them as #1.
                You work on one and you leave it off the list.
                So..... they're good enough for cRusty, but not for you?

Comment

Hmm... it's not obvious to me.

Let's see, cRusty worked on them and he lists them as #1.
                  You work on one and you leave it off the list.
                  So..... they're good enough for cRusty, but not for you?

Hey Pal,
                  Nah but I can look up close at her anytime I want and have numerous books on her and the sisters. But for some that I have listed there are books although they wont go as in depth as what my preference would wish. Not listing an Iowa is soley because I continue to be educated on their inner workings and operations. And needless to say learn something new every day.:) If I wasnt doing what I am then an Iowa class (any of them) would surely top that list bar none.:))
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 19 Oct 07,, 15:27.

Comment

Hey Pal,
                    Nah but I can look up close at her anytime I want and have numerous books on her and the sisters. But for some that I have listed there are books although they wont go as in depth as what my preference would wish. Not listing an Iowa is soley because I continue to be educated on their inner workings and operations. And needless to say learn something new every day.:) If I wasnt doing what I am then an Iowa class (any of them) would surely top that list bar none.:))

Ok, so help me out with this one... so the reason cRusty lists his as number 1 is because he knows everything, or forgot everything, or doesn't subscribe to the same theory, right? Maybe all, depending on the time of day? :)

You'd think this question being on the BB section would get more responses instead of just lurkers. What ever happened to "Grasshopper's" selections? It's been 9 days since his b-day and he should have sobered up by now.

Comment

Ok, so help me out with this one... so the reason cRusty lists his as number 1 is because he knows everything, or forgot everything, or doesn't subscribe to the same theory, right? Maybe all, depending on the time of day? :)

You'd think this question being on the BB section would get more responses instead of just lurkers. What ever happened to "Grasshopper's" selections? It's been 9 days since his b-day and he should have sobered up by now.
                      I would think that spending that so many years with them as Mr. L. and you yourself has they would surely top the list. You've both among alot of others had much to do with keeping them ship shape far beyond their years. And surely you must be very proud of them as I am to serve aboard one of the ""sisters".

Yes, I would expect the Mad Hatter should be drying out by now 9 days afterwards. It only took me 5.:))

Comment

I would think that spending that so many years with them as Mr. L. and you yourself has they would surely top the list. You've both among alot of others had much to do with keeping them ship shape far beyond their years. And surely you must be very proud of them as I am to serve aboard one of the ""sisters".
                        When I was young I had a number of Iowa class model kits and it was nice when I first stepped aboard them, but after working about 10,000 actual hours on them I have mixed feelings. I know that if they towed one into Long Beach I still wouldn't drive the 18 miles to look at it and I sure the heck wouldn't drive 600 miles to craw over one.

Comment

When I was young I had a number of Iowa class model kits and it was nice when I first stepped aboard them, but after working about 10,000 actual hours on them I have mixed feelings. I know that if they towed one into Long Beach I still wouldn't drive the 18 miles to look at it and I sure the heck wouldn't drive 600 miles to craw over one.
                          But I bet you have some fond memories,friends and great stories to tell your grandchildren about.:)

Comment

But I bet you have some fond memories,friends and great stories to tell your grandchildren about.
                            Sure, like the yard bird who used to go around and defecate on the ship, or all the mandatory overtime hours, or the one time we were ripping out asbestos in one of the firerooms and the Shop 99 G/F ordered his people to disconnect our air manifolds and we had to take off our masks and run. How about finding the dead rigger in his rack next to mine during sea trials, mandatory clean ups when all the electricians, electronics people and "topside" people leave instead of helping. Then there were the prostitutes hired as Fire Watches doing business on the ship, and lastly the brown-nosing upper level supervisors taking it upon themselves to harass people they found on the piers without asking what time they came into work or what they were doing....yes, good times.

Comment

Sure, like the yard bird who used to go around and defecate on the ship, or all the mandatory overtime hours, or the one time we were ripping out asbestos in one of the firerooms and the Shop 99 G/F ordered his people to disconnect our air manifolds and we had to take off our masks and run. How about finding the dead rigger in his rack next to mine during sea trials, mandatory clean ups when all the electricians, electronics people and "topside" people leave instead of helping. Then there were the prostitutes hired as Fire Watches doing business on the ship, and lastly the brown-nosing upper level supervisors taking it upon themselves to harass people they found on the piers without asking what time they came into work or what they were doing....yes, good times.
                              Im sure that you have much better memories then that.:))

Comment

Working...
                              X