• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wife: buy or lease?

Online bid for rich husband deemed bad deal - Online World - MSNBC.com

Online bid for rich husband deemed bad deal
    Stir over woman’s search for man earning more than $500,000 a year

NEW YORK - Deal or no deal?

A woman's online bid to find a rich husband in New York earning more than $500,000 a year has caused an Internet stir with a mystery Wall Street banker publicly assessing her hunt for romance as a business deal — and a bad one at that.

The anonymous 25-year-old woman posted an ad on the free online New York community Web site Craigslist seeking advice on how to find a wealthy husband in New York where Wall Street bankers can earn bonuses each year of up to $10 million.

"I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all," wrote the woman, who described herself as "spectacularly beautiful" and "superficial."

"I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. $250,000 won't get me to Central Park West," she said, asking questions like "where do rich single men hang out?"

Recently an apartment at 15 Central Park West sold for $42.4 million — the highest amount paid for a single unit new condominium in New York.

Crappy business deal
    A mystery banker, who said he fitted the bill, offered the woman an analysis of her predicament — but described it as "plain and simple a crappy business deal."

"Your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity ... in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!" the banker wrote.

"So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset," he said. "Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!"

"It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease," he said.

While the woman has since removed her posting from Craigslist, the ad and the response have become a popular e-mail traffic both within and outside New York where online dating has become commonplace.

JPMorgan Chase said one of its bankers had mistakenly been credited with writing the response.

Brian Marchiony, spokesman for JPMorgan Chase, said the banker did not write the response and that his e-mail signature accidentally became attached to the ad and response when he forwarded it to friends and it then wound up on blogs.

Craigslist was not immediately available for comment, but a spokeswoman told The New York Times that "it does look as if the post was made sincerely."
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Buddy of mine pointed this one out to me the other night. Kinda funny. Kinda on the mark.

-dale

Comment

astralis posted this in the joke thread, I wasn't so sure about it being in craiglists and actually happening, but it appears to really have occurred.
      Last edited by wkllaw; 14 Oct 07,, 03:38.
      Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

I think this is why I stay away from women.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Quite frankly I would prefer to be leased. Men are not exactly an appreciating asset themselves unless you want them for the pocketbook. EXCEPT there is never a guarantee that will continue to appreciate either.
          Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
            Quite frankly I would prefer to be leased. Men are not exactly an appreciating asset themselves unless you want them for the pocketbook. EXCEPT there is never a guarantee that will continue to appreciate either.
            Puh-leeze.

Us men always appreciate. We're just that awesome.

-dale

Comment

Leased , tut tut Debbie ,

Boys boys boys , just borrow the one from next door ?:))

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                Puh-leeze.

-dale
                Dale -

How could I forget that you roam the planet? The most awesome - fantastic - wonderful man on the earth? The one and only one who can satisfy me on a M - F basis for 15 minutes when I don't want to kick you in the head? How could I forget that you exist, the way your ego crowds and suffocates is admirable - really and truly. You are indeed the King of men with your swagger and sneer. All women should really bow before you and probably would if you made yourself known. :))
                Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Dale -

How could I forget that you roam the planet? The most awesome - fantastic - wonderful man on the earth? The one and only one who can satisfy me on a M - F basis for 15 minutes when I don't want to kick you in the head? How could I forget that you exist, the way your ego crowds and suffocates is admirable - really and truly. You are indeed the King of men with your swagger and sneer. All women should really bow before you and probably would if you made yourself known. :))
                  Uhhh....Is it just me or do I detect just the slightest hint of sarcasm here?;) :))
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Puh-leeze.

-dale
                    Men,

Dale is the bullet magnet.

Comment

Your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity ... in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!" the banker wrote.
                      Hehe... Now that is simply gold, and so true it is! :P
                      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Dale -

I have a sneer too? I just found out about the swagger. Neato!

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Men,

Dale is the bullet magnet.
                          I'll see you on the beach!

-dale

Comment

I saw this a week ago on another forum. A member posted a response by a guy to the said gold digger. I saw the original posting on craigslist before it expired and can vouch for the authenticity of the reply.

Dear Pers-431649184:
                            I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully
                            about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.
                            Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your
                            bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I
                            see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a
                            cr@ppy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you
                            suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring
                            my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my
                            money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely
                            that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't
                            be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning
                            asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation
                            accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty
                            hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in
                            earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy
                            and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense
                            to "buy you"
                            (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm
                            being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so
                            would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as
                            that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So,
                            I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful"
                            as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to
                            believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K
                            hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then
                            we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
                            Classic "pump and dump."
                            I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of
                            lease, let me know.
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I have a sneer too? I just found out about the swagger. Neato!

-dale
                              Well, there is a reason I like walking behind you and didn't figure out for a year that you wore a belt on a daily basis

Comment

Working...
                              X