Drinking Before 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking Before 21

What do you guys think? In Russia it's common (I had my first drink at 10). In America it's completely illegal, and enforced too :*( but people do it anyways. Is it ok? Should it be done? Should parents crack down on it?

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
    What do you guys think? In Russia it's common (I had my first drink at 10). In America it's completely illegal, and enforced too :*( but people do it anyways. Is it ok? Should it be done? Should parents crack down on it?
    I'ts very common in France for young members of the family to drink wine with their meals(under the supervision of the parents I may add) In the UK the legal age is 18 but the vast majority,or so it seems, start well under that age.

Should they be drinking at such an early age? I think 18 is about right. People can get married at 16..join the forces..get a job. Vote.etc.

Comment

I believe a lot start at maybe 14-15, though I would add that drink is drunk mostly for the social side (the pub use'd to be like the second town hall) in this country, only a small amount actually get "Drunk" - for the teenagers here it's hip, and they don't want to be left out.

I myself had my first pint when I was 16, spend 4 years partying hard, then 2 more in college with much of the same and then just woke up one day and told myself the throbbing headaches and nausea, as well as uncertainty as to what exactly I did with the girl snoozing in my bed weren't worth it - so I just stopped, haven't looked back :) .
      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Most societies determine adulthood at 18. At that point you should be able to take full part in legal activities as you are no longer a child and fully responsible for your actions.

So at 18 you should be fully entitled to vote, smoke, get married, drive, join the army, take out long term debt and have sex with anyone who is up for it.

And after such a fun filled birthday you would need a drink.
        at

Comment

[QUOTE=crooks;415469]as well as uncertainty as to what exactly I did with the girl snoozing in my bed weren't worth it - so I just stopped, haven't looked back :)

Common politeness demands that you should at least look at whoever it was that you bedded.
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

[QUOTE=glyn;415487]
            Originally posted by crooks View Post
            as well as uncertainty as to what exactly I did with the girl snoozing in my bed weren't worth it - so I just stopped, haven't looked back :)

Common politeness demands that you should at least look at whoever it was that you bedded.
            I suspect I had much more than a look - never found out exactly in most cases though.
            Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
            - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Stepping back, I must ask, is it the government's business to set a drinking age anyway?
              Pete

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
                Stepping back, I must ask, is it the government's business to set a drinking age anyway?
                Yup.
                - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
                  Yes. Because society accepts that alcohol changes people's behaviour and can affect health. Therefore should only legally be available to those that can take responsibility for their actions (i.e. not children).
                  at

Comment

Being a Laissez-faire economist myself, I tend to apply the same thinking into all other roles of government. In theory, and in theory only, I believe the government should only stick with its intended roles and not getting into commerce or personal business. I wonder if alcohol consumption is one of the things I want to say that government should not bother with...

Of course, you probably saw my disclaimer -- "in theory only". Lots of stuff works only in theory but in real life things are different! For example, communism sounds Utopian in theory, but we know how that turned out :)
                    Pete

Comment

If you are going to let children out into the world without a chaperone the state has to take that role, or more particularly you have to take the responsbility for those children away from adults who are not their parents.

By that i mean if you had no drinking laws, then children could happily wander into the nearest off-licence and ask for a bottle of Vodka. The responsbility then falls to the shopkeeper who is faced between competing areas of responsibility - profit, society, well-being of a minor.

By having a legal drinking age you are lifting the responsbility of the shop keeper from making a decision about the child in front of them (after all said child might be a responsible drinker!) and you are giving them a responsibility to simply uphold the law. You also remove inconsistencies between shopkeepers.

Given that children are allowed out unchaperoned and they have a bad track record of moderation with chocolate then there are to be some yardstick.

As to whether or not children should ever drink alcohol at home is a matter for their parents not the state.. But once they are adults they can go for it for all anyone should care.
                      at

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post
                        If you are going to let children out into the world without a chaperone the state has to take that role, or more particularly you have to take the responsbility for those children away from adults who are not their parents.

By that i mean if you had no drinking laws, then children could happily wander into the nearest off-licence and ask for a bottle of Vodka. The responsbility then falls to the shopkeeper who is faced between competing areas of responsibility - profit, society, well-being of a minor.

By having a legal drinking age you are lifting the responsbility of the shop keeper from making a decision about the child in front of them (after all said child might be a responsible drinker!) and you are giving them a responsibility to simply uphold the law. You also remove inconsistencies between shopkeepers.

Given that children are allowed out unchaperoned and they have a bad track record of moderation with chocolate then there are to be some yardstick.

As to whether or not children should ever drink alcohol at home is a matter for their parents not the state.. But once they are adults they can go for it for all anyone should care.
                        Very well said!
                        Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Trooth View Post

I agree.

The government has a responsibility for "Public safety" So I can see where they say, "You are not mature enough to make smart decisions. So for your, and everyone elses safety, minors are not allowed to drink."

However there should be an exception for moderate drinking while supervised by your family. As the laws in Florida are written, and enforced, I will go to jail if I allow my under 21 yr old to share a toast on News Years.

I also think that it should be legal if a group of parents agree that their children can drink at a party supervised by the parents. As long as those youngsters are not allowed to leave that house. No "Lets get drunk at Toms house, then hit the town."

Comment

In Wisconsin you can get a beer permit at age 18, but not for hard liquor.

About 34 years ago, Idaho passed a legal age of 19 for drinking. That didn't last very long. Too many drunk 19 year olds taking up room in the cemetaries.

In California, you cannot BUY alcoholic beverages if under 21. HOWEVER, if your family traditionally has a legitimate ritual for certain types of drinking (such as wine for religious ceremonies) it is all right. However, serving too much that the "child" gets drunk can lead to police action.

There is also the problem that anyone over 18 is considered an adult and not a "youth" or "teenager". Yet they cannot buy sacramental wine until age 21.

They can join the military, make sergeant, lead a squad against a Taliban bunker, but cannot legally drink in celebration if they survive the attack.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Rusty Battleship Reply

"In Wisconsin you can get a beer permit at age 18, but not for hard liquor."

Could you reference that with a link, please?:) All my looking showed that Wisconsin Act 337 raised the minimum drinking age to 21, effective September, 1986. No provisions made for beer at eighteen- not that you'd notice at Camp Randall Stadium on Saturdays.

I grew up there under an eighteen drinking law. It accompanied the change to lower the national voting age. Crazy fun for us.:)) Too crazy at times, though interestingly, opponents of raising the age note that two other age groups (around 30 and 50)seem to have greater alcohol-related driving issues.

I continue to have a hard time with the notion of denying a drink to one who's served in combat. It didn't seem right in Vietnam to deny the vote and a drink and it still doesn't, to be honest. At least now our servicemen and women can vote.

(Jeff Lebowski raises a White Russian to his bearded face. Ahhhh!)
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                              X