Leadership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leadership

What makes a good leader? Many members of WAB are ex-military, perfect examples of Leadership. I would like to ask all of you, what in your mind makes a good leader? How did you lead? Did you like leading? What is it like to live the life of a Leader?

I believe in Eisenhower's method - when leading all mistakes are yours and all successes are your team's. That is really just a facet of taking responsibility and making decisions. Also sounding confident even when you're not.

I just dashed those off real quick but I think those are key.

-dale

Comment

Emotional intelligence.

Comment

No man is fit to command another who cannot command himself.
        - william Penn

Dale, I agree with you, & would add that a leader must not sit on their laurels on high, but take care of their personnel as well.

"Emotional intelligence"--what's that? Did you mean "emotional control" as a good trait for good leaders? If so, I'd agree, adding "physical control" as well.
        If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Skull6 View Post
          "Emotional intelligence"--what's that? Did you mean "emotional control" as a good trait for good leaders? If so, I'd agree, adding "physical control" as well.
          There are many various definitions, but the one I am specifically applying is "the ability to monitor one's own and other's feelings and emotions, to discriminate among them and to use this information to guide one's thinking and actions."

Comment

I feel ethics and integrity in the workplace help to make a good leader. And good communication skills.
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

Strategic intelligence and quick thinking would be two of the most important attributes needed to be a good leader IMO.

Comment

There was an excellent interview with Lt. Gen. Hal Moore (of "We Were Soldiers" fame) that touched on this issue in the September 2007 issue of Armchair General. Im not sure if its available on their website or not but I will try and scan it and paste it here if the resolution dosent suck.

Comment

Moral courage, physical courage, self-discipline, rectitude, and a sense of responsibility for all that he/she has charge of.

Comment

Firm, Fair, Consistent.

Traits of a good leader. A balance of JJ Did Tie Buckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                      Moral courage, physical courage, self-discipline, rectitude, and a sense of responsibility for all that he/she has charge of.
                      Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Firm, Fair, Consistent.

Traits of a good leader. A balance of JJ Did Tie Buckle.
                      I would agree with all of these and just add in;A leader is someone who would never ask you to do something that they themselves would not do.
                      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good as in righteous? Or good as in effective?

For the former: honesty, integrity, responsibility.

For the latter: Psychology, ruthlessness, incisiveness, suspicion, pathology even.

And many traits that might be shared, such as persuasiveness or confidence.

I've never been in the military, but I would imagine that the methods used in attempting to get men to do what you want them to is about the same no matter the task or venue. Morale is always, I think, the highest concern.

EDIT: What does this mean? JJ Did Tie Buckle. Some sort of acronym?
                        Last edited by Dwarven Pirate; 06 Oct 07,, 17:09. Reason: question

Comment

I think the most important trait a leader needs is to be able to hold things together. A leader should be able to keep a group united and strong and make sure they go down to the right path.
                          Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

All the above posts are right in their own way, I think a leader should be able to take information from many sources at many levels and prioritise them so that the ultimate goal is clear, tell others clearly what the goal is and allow others to help you to that goal whilst keeping a shepherds eye on the situation, any change must be accounted for and if needed the overall goal needs to be amended to accomplish this. Leadership is fluid and therefore good leaders need to be fluid in their approach whatever the problem may be.

Mike
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarven Pirate View Post
                              EDIT: What does this mean? JJ Did Tie Buckle. Some sort of acronym?
                              The acronym for the Marine Corps 14 leadership traits

Judgement
                              The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

Justice
                              Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

Dependability
                              The certainty of proper performance of duty.

Initiative
                              Taking action in the absence of orders.

Decisiveness
                              Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

Tact
                              The ability to deal with others without creating offense.

Integrity
                              Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

Endurance
                              The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

Bearing
                              Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearence and personal conduct at all times.

Unselfishness
                              Avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.

Courage
                              The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

Knowledge
                              Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your Marines.

Loyalty
                              The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

Enthusiasm
                              The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.
                              Which go along with the 11 Leadership principles
                              * know yourself and seek self-improvement.
                              * be technically and tactically proficient.
                              * develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.
                              * make sound and timely decisions.
                              * set the example.
                              * know your marines and look out for their welfare.
                              * keep your marines informed.
                              * seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
                              * ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
                              * train your marines as a team.
                              * employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.
                              To be honest, Most Marines come up a little short on Tact:)
                              Last edited by Gun Grape; 07 Oct 07,, 17:10.

Comment

Working...
                              X