African-Americans in WW2 - Combat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African-Americans in WW2 - Combat?

Did the African-American troops of the US Army in the WW2-era regularly fight on the front lines? I tend to come across readings noting African-Americans were usually in supply, logistics, mess, etc. type of rolls; always in support, never direct combat. However, sometimes I come across photos like these three:

WW2DB: [Photo] US Army African-American soldiers setting up a 155mm howitzer in France, 28 Jun 1944

WW2DB: [Photo] A platoon of African-American troops of the US Army moving along a farm house as they prepared to eliminate a German sniper up ahead, near Vierville-sur-Mer, France, 10 Jun 1944

WW2DB: [Photo] African-American troops of the 1st Bn, 24th Infantry Rgmt, US Army Americal Div behind a M4A3 Sherman tank, near Empress Augusta Bay, Bougainville, Solomon Islands, circa early 1944

So what's the deal? Did they regularly perform front line fighting?
    Pete

afaik the use of black units as combat units was rather the exception and happened mostly near the end of the war like the 761st Tank Battalion or the 92nd Infantry Division. Most of what I have read was about black units in Italy and few in France. Could not find anyting about them in the PTO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      afaik the use of black units as combat units was rather the exception and happened mostly near the end of the war like the 761st Tank Battalion or the 92nd Infantry Division. Most of what I have read was about black units in Italy and few in France. Could not find anyting about them in the PTO.
      There was an African -American corps artillery unit at Bastogne durign the Battle of the Bulge. And the 93rd Infantry Division fought in the SW Pacific
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

There were several units operating on front lines regularly, in particular, one tank destroyer batallion (can someone reference which one? I don't recall), so yes, there were. Not a lot, but a few.

Comment

And one of the proudest units in the Army Air Corps was the famed Tuskeegee Airmen, fighter pilots of the 332nd Fighter Group. They amassed an amazing combat record, and were led by one of the greatest Americans to ever wear his country's uniform, the matchless Colonel Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.

The Air Force is proud to claim this unit as one of our greatest legacies, and its men are some of our most revered heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
            There were several units operating on front lines regularly, in particular, one tank destroyer batallion (can someone reference which one? I don't recall), so yes, there were. Not a lot, but a few.
            Are you referring to the 761st Armor Battalion? A really good outfit as they used to say.

761st Tank Battalion
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              Are you referring to the 761st Armor Battalion? A really good outfit as they used to say.

761st Tank Battalion

Yeah. I believe that's it. Like you said, they have been referred as a very effective unit in any standard of the time.

Comment

The 333rd Artillery Bn.

Triple 3 at Bastogne. Trained with this unit at one time. .
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                X