5 CVNs at Norfolk 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 CVNs at Norfolk 1997

I figured bigross would like this picture. It's from Global Security.org. It was the first time all 5 Norfolk-based nuclear-powered carriers were in port at one time. Notice the 2 Wasp-class LHDs in the upper portion of the picture.

Last edited by TopHatter; 10 Sep 03,, 20:36.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Hot damn, that sure is a nice pic. Why were they all in port? July 4 celebrations? Overhaul? I can imagine that put a large deal of stress on the rest of the carriers.

Enterprise, Stennis, and Eisenhower are PACFLT, and Roosevelt and Washington are LANTFLT, right? Is there an ID on the two LPH's?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Not sure what the occasion was, but according to GS.org, there was 5 carriers there as well, but not all nuclear-powered. I don't know which LHDs are there but I'll check and find out which Wasp-class amphibs were attached to LANTFLT in 97.

Edit: If those are indeed both Wasp-class as I think, then they have to be USS Wasp (LHD-1) and USS Kearsarge (LHD-3)
      Last edited by TopHatter; 10 Sep 03,, 22:35.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Figured I'd post a few more "unusual" aircraft carrier pictures here rather than starting new thread. Here is USS Ranger playing parking garage

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
          Enterprise, Stennis, and Eisenhower are PACFLT, and Roosevelt and Washington are LANTFLT, right?
          Those are all 5 LANTFLT nuclear-powered carriers. Not a PACFLT carrier in sight :)

Comment

And how do you get rid of all of those cars? One at a time of course
            Attached Files

Comment

USS Eisenhower:

Looking for but can't find the E=MC2 Eisenhower pic and the C-130 on the carrier pic
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Here is a top-down look at those 5 CVNs
                Attached Files

Comment

Here is USS John C. Stennis wishing it was somewhere else
                  Attached Files

Comment

How fast does a CVN have to be/How slow can a CVN be and still commence flight operations? Is turning into the wind a nicessity or just convinience and safety?

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
                      How fast does a CVN have to be/How slow can a CVN be and still commence flight operations? Is turning into the wind a nicessity or just convinience and safety?
                      Well, any CV should have sufficient speed if for nothing else than to get it from Point A to Point B quickly.

The standard for USN supercarriers (CVs or CVNs) seems to be "30+ knots" though I've heard a carrier skipper saying that it's "a very big plus".

Most other countries carriers seem to be in that range, though the French Charles de Gaulle seems to be a bit slower, I guess because the reactor(s) they used were modified from a French SSBN reactor design. I'll have to look into that because I'm sure I got some of my details wrong.

As far as speed of the carrier during flight ops and turning into the wind, I think it's all about safety and far as the Navy is concerned, that's all it needs to be about.

Supposedly a carrier can launch a plane standing still but would never do that (except in some bad Hollywood movie).

Comment

You know, looking at those 3 pictures of the five carriers, it almost looks like the Teddy Roosevelt is listing towards the dock!

Comment

It does look like it in the first and third pic, now that I look at it. Interesting...

Comment

Hey BG, I found that E=MC2 pic you were talking about. It was USS Enterprise (CVN-65),USS Long Beach (CGN-9) and USS Bainbridge (CGN-25) in the first nuclear-powered task force. It was a 30,565-mile, 65-day voyage around the world.
                            Attached Files

Comment

and the Big E 40 years later can be found here. http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/026530.jpg Her crew is once again spelling out the famous E=MC2, this time with a twist
                              Last edited by TopHatter; 17 Sep 03,, 17:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X