British General Election 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British General Election 2007?

There's a possibility of an election this year. Brown hasn't ruled it in or it.

I watched his speech today (I'm a Labour member) and was quite impressed, although he took a bit too long to get to actual policies.

I think Brown will call one. He has a big lead in the poles and will get an easy win in my opinion.

He is not the best at public speaking though. The man never seems to have any passion.

Comment

Has the British Pm the power to simply call for new elections? Or can the parlament dissolve itself?

Comment

The PM has the power to call for new elections any time within five years from the last one. Parliament can dissolve itself by passing a vote of no-confidence in the government (last done in 1979).

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
          There's a possibility of an election this year. Brown hasn't ruled it in or it.

I watched his speech today (I'm a Labour member) and was quite impressed, although he took a bit too long to get to actual policies.
          A Labour member? Bluesman ought to know that they are considerably to the left of the Democrats in the US. I fancy he will find a new chew toy!
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

glyn,

hell, that's no big surprise. i'm not sure if the conservatives aren't to the left of the democratic party.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
              glyn,

hell, that's no big surprise. i'm not sure if the conservatives aren't to the left of the democratic party.
              Looking and listening to the current crop of Tories I think you might be right. Come back Maggie. We need you!
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by VarSity View Post
                IHe has a big lead in the poles
                A freudian slip because he is a big hit with the Poles?????

I think he would win an election whether it was called today or next year because quite simply there is no other alternative and I cannot see there being an alternative for a long time to come. We need someone who has the gonads to walk away from Europe and repeal the Human Rights Act, reintroduce border controls and stop worrying about world opinion.

Comment

How long after a call for elections is made will the elections be held? I was under the impression that the general elections won't be until 2008 or 09.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I think there are two reasons he is holding off calling an election.

1) He ants to see the fallout from the hysteria surrounding the financial "crisis" die down. If anything goes wrong with the economy, Brown will have to take the rap (he has been at the helm for a decade) regardless of the actual cause.

2) I think the Tories are keen for there to be an election too not for some pseudo-referendum on that there European treaty but because Cameron and his froth are not going to win them power and it is easier to get rid of a leader that has lost an election. If Brown does not go to the country soon, the Tories will have to start amassing a proper election policy under DC (not the rubbish Cameron has been coming up with until now) and at that point the old divisions will spring up. Lib Dems are probably thinking the same thing about Campbell.
                    at

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      How long after a call for elections is made will the elections be held? I was under the impression that the general elections won't be until 2008 or 09.
                      A few weeks- depending on when it's called (there's a timeline that's activated and it's stopped on holidays and weekends).

The election was expected in 2009, but with Labour's current lead in the polls, there's been speculation that it might be earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        As a general rule it is normally 1 month (to the nearest Thursday) from the PM asking the Queen for a dissolution of Parliament (the indication that the race is on) to polling day. It's a well rehearsed timetable as you might imagine.

As a rule if you can you have an election in the summer (better weather = higher turnout) but that seems a bit long for Brown so apparently he is talking about having one this year and November is clearly better than December.
                        at

Comment

LOL. I'm learning a great deal by reading this thread. But I must admit, at first glance of the thread's title, I was left wondering why the British would suddenly be voting on the Commanders of their military.

("General election" as in "election of Generals")
                          If you know the enemy and yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu

Comment

I cant believe people are actually believing the trollop being said in the Labour conference speeches. The new Labour post campaign is supposed to say "No Flash... Just Gordon" It should say "All Flash...that's Gordon" I hear there speeches, i hear the same lies, the same promises weve had from Labour for the last decade, this will just be more broken promises. If you think Labours the only party worth voting for, then dont bother voting, personally id vote in a teddy bear if it meant an end to Labour rule.
                            ROAD WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                              Looking and listening to the current crop of Tories I think you might be right. Come back Maggie. We need you!
                              Zimmer and all:) This Lady is NOT for turning

Comment

Working...
                              X