Italian Hostages Freed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Hostages Freed

Now this is what I like to see... instead of a country tucking tail and running when the going gets a little bit tough (South Korea), an operation is launched and the Taliban gets their asses handed to them:
    Missing Italian soldiers freed in western Afghanistan

ROME, Italy (CNN) -- Two Italian soldiers who were kidnapped in western Afghanistan over the weekend, were freed in an operation by NATO's International Security Assistance Force early Monday, Italy's defense minister said.

According to Arturo Parisi, the military operation took place in Farah province. The soldiers were kidnapped Saturday night in the Herat region.

Parisi said both of the soldiers were wounded -- one severely.

"They were freed in an ISAF operation. They were both injured. One is in a more difficult situation than the other," an Italian Embassy official said on condition of anonymity because of embassy policy. "They are free now. They are at a military hospital in the western region."

An Afghan translator and driver who were with the Italians were "found," the official said, adding that he did not know what condition they were in.

NATO troops located the two Italians and attacked the group of kidnappers. Preliminary reports found that five of the kidnappers were killed, though the toll may be higher, the official said.

The two Italians, their driver and translator had been missing since Saturday when they were last seen at a police checkpoint in the Shindand district of Helmand province, Afghan police said.

The Italians' last contact with their base was Saturday night, the embassy official said.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi told The Associated Press on Monday that the Taliban had not kidnapped the Italians. The embassy official said it wasn't clear which insurgent group had kidnapped the Italians.

In March, five Taliban prisoners were freed in exchange for the release of a kidnapped Italian journalist. The head of the Italian aid agency Emergency has said the Rome government also paid a $2 million ransom last year for a kidnapped Italian photographer -- a claim Italian officials did not deny.

In remote northeastern Afghanistan, meanwhile, unidentified gunmen opened fire on a vehicle carrying police and government employees, killing 12, police said Monday.

The attack Sunday left seven policemen and five government employees dead, and one policeman wounded. They were traveling from northeastern Badakhshan province to Kabul, said Badakhshan police chief Gen. Agha Noor Kemtuz.

The police were being transferred to new posts and so were not armed, he said.
    Missing Italian soldiers freed in western Afghanistan - CNN.com
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

ironduke,

Now this is what I like to see... instead of a country tucking tail and running when the going gets a little bit tough (South Korea),
    the difference when you have troops on the ground and when you have not!

i really can't imagine them paying a ransom for the soldiers- at least with the missionaries and the journalist there could be a thin veneer of deniability to the whole thing.

in any case, it was a job well done for the ISAF folks. :)
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

No way in hell will we ever allow our governments to pay ransom for us.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        ironduke,

the difference when you have troops on the ground and when you have not!

i really can't imagine them paying a ransom for the soldiers- at least with the missionaries and the journalist there could be a thin veneer of deniability to the whole thing.

in any case, it was a job well done for the ISAF folks. :)
        Bah, SK has troops in Iraq, not Afghanistan.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Italian SF where parachuted during the night, and observed the assailents.
          In the morning they they took the hostages in trucks and set off.
          They called it in and two helicopters with SBS where detached.
          They cuaght up with the trucks, tried to stop them by flying low over them,
          They opend fire. SBS took the cars out form the choppers.
          Whilst the other landed and assisted in the attack.
          Think a hostage was wounded in the fire fight.

Comment

After what I have read so far sas that both were injured during the rescue one of them badly, but both are not in life-threating conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
              After what I have read so far sas that both were injured during the rescue one of them badly, but both are not in life-threating conditions.
              It was SBS operating not SAS. did not hear about any SBS member's who par took in the operation getting injured. an Italian soilder sustained a head wound, i think not to sure yet.

Comment

Working...
              X