Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Nations

Hi everyone.

I have a question about the UN. Does the US provide a majority, or large portion of the logistics capabilites of the UN, for peacekeeping missions and/or for aid missions?

Also, what are your views of the UN? Is it useful? Is it a joke? Is it corrupt?
    The idea of wilderness needs no defense; only more defenders.
    -Edward Abbey

There's many threads about the UN already... a quick search would pull them up.

I have a question about your username, Adalwolf (or Adolf). Naturally it would make one suspicious what your inclinations are.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

It is a corrupt joke. I read some where that the US makes up around 23% of its budget.

I wouldn't mind if the US left.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

I have a question about your username, Adalwolf (or Adolf). Naturally it would make one suspicious what your inclinations are.
        The name Adolf has not been in use after the Second World War. Only the Swedish Royal Family does.
        I wonder for how many centuries the name will remain taboo to use. It is probably in use in some neo-nazi groups. Poor kids, who are named like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

I heard the name Adalwolf long before I knew it was the old form of Adolf. The name sounds and looks good, I think, so I use it. It also means 'noble wolf' in old german. I'm not a nazi, if that's what you think.

I still haven't found out how much the US provides logistic support for the UN.
          -Edward Abbey

Comment

uhm I did post something about the amount of money the u.s. pays to the u.n. compared to other countriews..but the post seems kinda..gone? Any help?

Comment

Is it a joke? Is it corrupt?
              All of the above.
              "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
              - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

huh, i didn't see it tarek

I believe the US is supposed to pay about 23%, as mentioned earlier, but I think we are always behind on paying.
                -Edward Abbey

Comment

I try to rewrite what I did before.

In theorie the US pays about 22% of the UN budget, but is alawys overdue with its payment and has debts over 1 billion $ to the UN. That makes japen the biggest de facto payer with about 20% (since they pay on time, and everything at once). The enxt one woul dbe Germany with about 10%. The overall Budget of the U.N. is about 4 Billion $ for 2006 so these payments arent that big (we..compared to what Germany pays to thee EU for example). and even if the U.S. would pays their complete share, I dont hink it would be much noticeable in the their own budget. (I men 1 billion in a 3 trillion $ budget...well the U.N. for all negative things on can say about it, is certainly not the root of the U.S. deficit)

Comment

it's a joke, it's corrupt, and it's very nice to have. the ironies of the UN.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think it'd work if we weren't all so selfish as nations - as it stands, it's still a valid organisation, and I still feel we can make it useful again by bringing back the spirit of cooperation upon which it was founded.
                      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                        I think it'd work if we weren't all so selfish as nations - as it stands, it's still a valid organisation, and I still feel we can make it useful again by bringing back the spirit of cooperation upon which it was founded.

You mean the same spirit of cooperation that induced Roosevelt and Truman to cede half of Europe to the USSR? In comparison, I look at WW2 with a sense of nostalgia.
                        "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
                        - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's a good place for people to get together to talk about stuff.

It's a good organization to help fight infectious diseases

It's a good agency at providing emergency relief after a disaster.

It's OK at monitoring elections to make sure they're relatively free.

It's an impotent organization at stopping wars.

It's a corrupt organization with regard to sanctions.

It's barely adequate at peacekeeping.

All in all, if we can get rid of the peacekeeping roles and the non-functioning sanctions, it will be a great international humanitarian agency.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

The U.N. needs bigger teeth. It needs to weed out the corruption and stop the dam appeasement of certain countries with sanctions. The U.N. has a history of doing too little too late and alot of people seem to agree that time means everything to avoid a disaster. They should also pass new resolutions stating that once sactions are levyed you get one more chance to comply to International Law/Treaty. If you break them you get the other option namely military and a 10 years suspension from the U.N. and all of its benefits such as aid etc. and sanctions against whom sponsored you to begin with. That should make the sponsoring nations think twice before giving their blessing to a rouge nation with its own agendas.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dreadnought;409952 That should make the sponsoring nations think twice before giving their blessing to a rouge nation with its own agendas.[/QUOTE]

A most interesting Freudian slip, my friend:)
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Working...
                              X