A good book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good book

I read on average a book a week, mainly military history or something similar, however, I think that it may be time to expand my horizons. What book(s) would you recomend I read?

Here are two of my favourites
    Most secret was R. V. Jones
    Chickenhawk R. Mason

Thanks
    Mike :))
    sigpic

Well I guess the typical suggestions would be stuff like the "art of war", "about war" or "the new wars" but i guess you already know these.

Other stuff in that direction would be "Achtung Panzer" by Guderian or "Infantry Attacks" by Rommel (if you not already have those), if it should be something not about military I would suggest the roundworld books by Terry Pratchett.

Comment

This week I'm reading "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales and "Wars of Blood and Faith" by Ralph Peters.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Viktor Suvorov - The Aquarium.

A true story (some things have been changed for safety of writer) of a defected GRU spy. Great language (at least in Russian it was so) and good descriptions of both the GRU Spetznaz and the realm of the spy.

Comment

Anything by Hans Helmut Kirst.
          The funniest book I ever read was Three Cheers for Me, by Donald Jack.
          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I found "Paper Money" by Adam Smith quite intriguing.

"Wealth and Poverty of Nations" was an excellent read.

Comment

Pratchett´s ´Discworld´ -series are always entertaining for me too .
              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

I have read an abridged version of art of war, and Guderian's achtung panzer.
                sigpic

Comment

Is "Achtung, Panzer!" still actual?

Comment

Actual as in print yes, doctrine and militarily up to date I am unsure as I was a Gunner not a tankie, bloody good read though, maybe Tankie knows. :)
                    sigpic

Comment

By the way Entropy I like the posters you used in your halls.
                      sigpic

Comment

'Cryptonomicon' by Neil Stephenson

'Faranheit 451 ' by Ray Bradbury

'Neuromancer' by William Gibson

'Foucault's Pendulum' by Umberto Eco

Comment

Oh yes and the Strugatski brothers are horribly underestimated. Perhaps someone of more respectable age will remember them, but I doubt it.
                          They are Russian science fiction writers, but not science fiction as you know it. They give you a very different perception of philosophy, time, reality and mathematics in general, asking the question of how men would behave in certain situations and what is possible and not possible in the universe. The Noon Universe is a good world created by them, but also their side-works such as the Picknick on the Roadside. If you are interested, ask me for recommendations. Their books can be found online for free.

Comment

When reading russian science fiction books I get always the feeling it was not written by a proffessional Author, but by a mathecian who decided to write a novel (uhm that is not meant as a bad thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                              When reading russian science fiction books I get always the feeling it was not written by a proffessional Author, but by a mathecian who decided to write a novel (uhm that is not meant as a bad thing).
                              Which one?

Comment

Working...
                              X