PDA

View Full Version : Great Women of History

Amled
05 Sep 07,, 23:12
We have often in this forum discussed the great men of history, so how about your candidates for the great women of history.
One of my own favourites must be Eleanor of Aquitaine, wife of my own candidate for greatest king of England, Henry II.
Wife of two kings, mother of another two. She not only sent 1000 fighting men from her possessions on the 2nd. Crusade she led them herself.
By all accounts beautiful, intelligent and well read, and a stuuborn streak that matched her red hair, she must have been a handful for any of her husbands, and lovers.
When her husband Henry II, showed that he was getting too attached to one of his mistresses she showed no hesitation in waging war against him. Even when defeated and imprissoned, and while Henry still lived she she never ceased in stirring up plots agains him.
A women scorned indeed!!
She died at the age of 82 having outlived all her husbands, most of her lovers and most of her children.

"The many bends along the highroad of my life conceal the vistas between this fleeting moment of pure being and ancient recollections coursing like deerhounds through my head. In a life of fourscore years and more, who can look so far back? The very richness of experience crowds and clouds the brains."
Eleanor, "Power of a Woman",

I'd personally be interested in hearing about candidates from Asia, with whom I'm fairly unfamiliar.

Parihaka
05 Sep 07,, 23:29
From a New Zealand perspective, Kate Sheppard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Sheppard)

glyn
05 Sep 07,, 23:39
From a New Zealand perspective, Kate Sheppard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Sheppard)

Is the leopard changing its spots?:confused: Harry Parka advocating a lifetime teetotaller?:eek:

Parihaka
05 Sep 07,, 23:45
Is the leopard changing its spots?:confused: Harry Parka advocating a lifetime teetotaller?:eek:

It's a long held New Zealand maxim, let the women take care of the business so the men have more time to spend at the pub.

Skull6
05 Sep 07,, 23:58
Very nice maxim, I have to say.

Albany Rifles
07 Sep 07,, 18:41
I would nominate Clara Barton, who brought relief to the suffering of the Union wounded in the Civil War and founded the American Red Cross

Kansas Bear
08 Sep 07,, 01:15
Anna Komnene

wabpilot
08 Sep 07,, 01:43
It's a long held New Zealand maxim, let the women take care of the business so the men have more time to spend at the pub.It's one very long flight to NZ, but I think I need to visit soon.

Parihaka
08 Sep 07,, 06:19
Speaking of flying to NZ, we just tracked a Godwit with an unbroken flight from Alaska to New Zealand. Now there's a bird that needs a beer.

Blackleaf
02 Mar 08,, 18:48
My candidate for Great Woman of History is Queen Elizabeth I who reigned England from 1558 to 1603.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/Elizabeth_Rainbow_Portrait.jpg/423px-Elizabeth_Rainbow_Portrait.jpg

She was the daughter of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, and the half-sister of Queen Mary (aka "Bloody Mary") and King Edward VI.

One of her first moves was to support the establishment of an English Protestant church, of which she became the Supreme Governor. This Elizabethan Religious Settlement held firm throughout her reign and later evolved into today's Church of England.

In 1588, Spain - in those days the world's superpower - sent a mighty Armada, the largest invasion fleet in history at that time - to invade England.

English forces mustered to defend the country. Elizabeth inspected her troops at Tilbury in Essex on 8 August. Wearing a silver breastplate over a white velvet dress, she addressed them in one of her most famous speeches, and one of the most famous ever uttered by any person in history:

"My loving people, we have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit ourself to armed multitudes for fear of treachery; but I assure you, I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people....I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a King of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any Prince of Europe should dare to invade the borders of my realm."

Unknown to Elizabeth and the soldiers she was addressing, however, the Spanish Armada was defeated by a combination of miscalculation, misfortune, and an attack of English fire ships on 1 August off Gravelines which dispersed the Spanish ships to the northeast. The armada straggled home to Spain in shattered remnants, after disastrous losses on the coast of Ireland.

The reign of Queen Elizabeth I has been seen as England's Golden Age.

Within twenty years of her death, she was being celebrated as the ruler of a golden age, an image that retains its hold on the English people. Elizabeth's reign is known as the Elizabethan era, famous above all for the flourishing of English drama, led by playwrights such as William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe, and for the seafaring prowess of English adventurers such as Sir Francis Drake and slave-trader John Hawkins.

Debbie
04 Mar 08,, 20:02
Julia Morgan
Born:
January 20, 1872
San Francisco, California

Died:
February, 1957
Oakland, California

Julia Morgan was California’s first female architect. In 1894, she was the first woman to graduate with a Degree in Civil Engineering. With a legacy of over 700 buildings to her credit, it’s no wonder she was also the first woman to be granted the L’Ecole des Beaux Arts Certificate (1902) in Paris, France.

Morgan was the second of five children of Charles Bill and Eliza Parmelee Morgan. Her choice of career may have been influenced by her mother’s cousin, Pierre La Brun, who designed the Metropolitan Life Insurance Tower in New York City. After graduating from the University of California at Berkeley with her Engineering Degree and traveling to Paris to study, she returned to the states, and shortly thereafter, established her own practice.

Julia Morgan’s popularity was due to her careful attention to detail and her ability to organize projects according to the exact specifications of her clients. During the 45 years she practiced, Morgan designed private residences, churches, clubs, banks, schools, hospitals, stores, Mediterranean villas, and Tudor manors. She was the official West Coast architect for the YWCA. Her most notable designs were that of the reconstruction of the Fairmont Hotel after the 1906 San Francisco fire and La Cuesta Encantada, More commonly known as Hearst Castle at San Simeon, which was constructed from 1919 to 1937.

When Morgan retired in 1951, the only paperwork she saved were family correspondence, journals, sketchbooks, photos, architectural drawings, and business records. This spoke volumes about how she viewed her structures. They were meant to be viewed as part of the land in which she incorporated them, not as designs on paper. Julia Morgan’s work is a major contribution to Californian culture.

T_igger_cs_30
04 Mar 08,, 20:35
There are of course many women throughout history and some still alive that I admire and respect totally and utterly, one being my own good lady Mrs Tigger (Rita) She gave to me 2 fine boys and a wonderful daughter, made me a home to be proud of , and the whole while I was off "soldiering" she not only kept the home, moved the home when postings dictated, raised the kids, held down a full time job whilst doing an open university degree, over the course of 10 years...........she has worked her whole life caring for and advocatiing for mentally and physicly handicapped people........lately she has, the last few years been fighting her own battle with cancer, which I shared with the members of this forum, it is in remission,.......she refuses to retire from her job has she says "she is not done yet"...in 2005 the city we live in awarded my wife the Humanitarian of the year award.............she is embarresed by accolades, and awards.........I needless to say am her greatest admirer and #1 fan..............through all this she has put up with yours truly...................an amazing woman .........

I am so very proud of her.

Foremost
04 Mar 08,, 21:28
Amled mentions a king, King Henry II of England, I agree;
Henry II of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_II_of_England)

Foremost
04 Mar 08,, 21:40
There are of course many women throughout history and some still alive that I admire and respect totally and utterly, one being my own good lady Mrs Tigger (Rita) She gave to me 2 fine boys and a wonderful daughter, made me a home to be proud of , and the whole while I was off "soldiering" she not only kept the home, moved the home when postings dictated, raised the kids, held down a full time job whilst doing an open university degree, over the course of 10 years...........she has worked her whole life caring for and advocatiing for mentally and physicly handicapped people........lately she has, the last few years been fighting her own battle with cancer, which I shared with the members of this forum, it is in remission,.......she refuses to retire from her job has she says "she is not done yet"...in 2005 the city we live in awarded my wife the Humanitarian of the year award.............she is embarresed by accolades, and awards.........I needless to say am her greatest admirer and #1 fan..............through all this she has put up with yours truly...................an amazing woman .........

God bless you for sharing this with us, as I think you know, my wife died of cancer, please give Rita my sincere wishes for a full recovery, she's one tough cookie, she'll beat this, Iknow she will.

Kansas Bear
05 Mar 08,, 10:19

You sir, are a lucky man. Tell her KB sends his best....