Cold War turns hot in 1989?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold War turns hot in 1989?

Here's a new RTS game called World In Conflict.

The background story is what if the cold war turns hot in 1989 because the Soviet Union was about to fail.

The single player mode starts off with an invasion on the US mainland not unlike what was depicted in the movie "Red Dawn."

We all know that kind of story line and game play is done to death.

This is the twist: no resource gathering phase.

This game foregoes all the resource gathering phase of all RTS games release so far, and concentrates on the tactical side. You start off with resource points that buys stuff and then automatically regenerates when your assets are destroyed. The more your stuff is destroyed, the faster the points are returned to your pool.

There are 4 branches you can pick: infantry, armor, support, helo.

You can also earn tactical assist points to call in different type of support: airborne infantry and tanks, artillery strike, napalm, daisy cutter, and even tactical nuke if you have enough points.

World in Conflict for PC - World in Conflict PC Game - World in Conflict Computer Game

World in Conflict Demo Download - FileShack - Download PC Video game patches, videos, betas and trailers for PC, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii

The details of the vehicles are simply amazing in this game.
    Last edited by gunnut; 04 Sep 07,, 06:01.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

I'll be interested to know what you guys think of the background for this game. Could this really have happened? Was "Red Dawn" realistic?

Comment

Not a chance in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Not a chance in hell.
        How about a European scenario? "Red Dawn" may be a bit far fetched, but NATO was seriously preparing for a full scale invasion by the Warsaw Pact, right? Weren't you stationed in West Germany? Wasn't there something in the back of your mind that worried about the day when the Russians charge full speed into West Germany?

Comment

1989 was probably the last chance we had for a full war but alot of factors worked against it. The Soviets were tired of bleeding in Afghanistan and Reagan had convinced them that we were going to start WWIII.

Unknowingly to us, the Soviets were preparing for a counter-attack instead of attacking to the Rhine. They were going to lure us into East Germany before counter-attacking from the Czech and Polish borders.

Of course, it never even occurred to us to march into East Germany and with the exception of some disruption raids, we were not geared for it - at least not without six months of prep work which we didn't have.

Comment

That's one amazing thing: both sides were absolutely convinced the other side was the aggressor and would launch a pre-emptive strike. I guess that was a good thing, and why the Cold War never turned hot.

One positive aspect of the Cold War is it gives us endless possibilities of games and novels centered on the "what if" scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              Was "Red Dawn" realistic?
              Not really. The Sovs had no good way to move the thousands of troops needed for an invasion, nor did they have a good way to supply them. All wars turn on logistics.

Comment

IIRC the 'intro' to the movie 'Red Dawn' listed some future 'events' such as the collapse of Europe and massive reinforcement of communist forces in Cuba and Latin America. As for the Soviets invading the US mainland in historical '89, well total lack of air and naval superiority, and not even the means to contest air superiority, would be pretty big minuses if launching a large scale amphib invasion. ;)

As for Europe, a very different story. It's unclear what strategic objective they would be accomplishing, other than devastating W. Germany. Clancy's Red Storm was interesting in that it suggested that the original objective of the attack in Europe was simply to create a 'diversion' from the real objective in the Middle East.

Comment

col yu,

Unknowingly to us, the Soviets were preparing for a counter-attack instead of attacking to the Rhine. They were going to lure us into East Germany before counter-attacking from the Czech and Polish borders.
                  i wonder whom would have figured out that the other side was standing on the defensive first, and whom would have initiated offensive plans first.

would it have gone nuclear, now? i always thought of that as a given.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    I'll be interested to know what you guys think of the background for this game. Could this really have happened? Was "Red Dawn" realistic?
                    Red Dawn no, Red Storm Rising yes. The Soviets may have redrawn thier battle plans, but thier peacetime cantons were still geared offensively with the maximum of force oreinted on the North German plain. They might have planned on drawing the American's into East Germany, but I would say they still wanted the grand offensive aimed at the Rhine. Drawing the 2 main American corps and thier allies into East Germany and prepared defenses would have been an ideal way to sheild the flanks of the Armies smashing into the Germans and BAOR.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      i wonder whom would have figured out that the other side was standing on the defensive first, and whom would have initiated offensive plans first.
                      I do not mean that there would be no contact. It's a military imperative to make contact and keep in contact with the enemy. I'm not sure what force the Soviets would task with this. Could very well be one of the Air Assault Brigades or a Operational Maneuver Group. For VII Corps, it would the 11ACR. For interdiction and blocking force, we have the US Airborne Divisions.

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      would it have gone nuclear, now? i always thought of that as a given.
                      I wouldn't think so. The strategic picture would not have developed where nukes make sense.

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      Drawing the 2 main American corps and thier allies into East Germany and prepared defenses would have been an ideal way to sheild the flanks of the Armies smashing into the Germans and BAOR.
                      I'm not seeing what you're suggesting. What's stopping V and VII Corps from swinging north?
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 04 Sep 07,, 16:45.

Comment

OoE, I am not on my laptop so don't have my info on the WGSF, but IIRC there is an entire tank army opposite the American's. If the US drive sinto E. Ger then swings north hey give thier flank to the Soviets. US plans called for smashing the Soviet attack, and then swinging North along friendly and interior lines in W Germany to strike the Soviet flank going pell mell for the Rhine.

Comment

West Group comprised of

8th Guards Army
                          1st Guards Tank Army
                          3rd Shock Tank Army
                          2nd Guards Tank Army
                          20th Guards Army

It doesn't seem enough to lay a trap and attack the BAOR at the same time.
                          Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 04 Sep 07,, 20:23.

Comment

World in Conflict's mainland invasion scenario is outlandish from the start. As if the Soviet Union could get together a huge force in a giant unmarked merchant navy and stealthily move it across the Pacific and Atlantic to launch and supply an invasion... However, it's justified by artistic licence because, let's face it, when's the last time you saw such a jaw-droppingly spectacular RTS? (I've been playing the demo.)
                            HD Ready?

Comment

OoE, thats just the intial waves, the numbe rof untis grows as you head east. Thats one reason NATO develope dthe ALB doctrine, to cut the rail links as efectively as the Soviets wished to cut the sea bridge from the US.

vs the BOAR the only real contenders were the Brits and Germans, the danes and Dutch (until they got leo 2's) could not really be counted on and France was always iffy. In Northern germany they didn't ahv eto face Apaches and Cobras as well as A-10s and had better room to manuver as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X