Sucks NOT having a car in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucks NOT having a car in Florida

So I get back to Florida for my last semester in school last week. My friend has been keeping my car here. I start it up, and go to pick up my stuff stored at another friend's house. I start hearing funny little rumbling at low rpms, so on my way back, I'm headed to the mechanic. Stop. That's what the engine did. It just froze up and stopped, completely overheated. Mechanic the next day tells me that my engine is fried. Replacement at the junkyard is 900, and he wanted 1100 for the work of putting it in. The car was a '93 Altima worth only about $2000.

I'm only staying in this state until December, when I graduate. Car is now crushed to the size of a Pepsi-can. I wouldn't even need one, if it wasn't for the GRE class I was taking 30 miles away, twice a week. But it really doesn't make sense to get one now, because selling a cheap one would be time consuming.

Now, here's the moral of the story, and it is one more story of Murphy's Law. Everyone is your best buddy, until you need a favor that is grander than "can you buy me a sandwich?". Suddenly, when you need a real favor, like to borrow a car and get to class, 99% of the aformentioned "good" friends are nowhere to be found. Like the popped a flashbang in the room and then disappeared right in front of your eyes. Or, suddenly, their cell phones are having real troubles with reception.

*Sigh*
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Transportation and school

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
    So I get back to Florida for my last semester in school last week. My friend has been keeping my car here. I start it up, and go to pick up my stuff stored at another friend's house. I start hearing funny little rumbling at low rpms, so on my way back, I'm headed to the mechanic. Stop. That's what the engine did. It just froze up and stopped, completely overheated. Mechanic the next day tells me that my engine is fried. Replacement at the junkyard is 900, and he wanted 1100 for the work of putting it in. The car was a '93 Altima worth only about $2000.

I'm only staying in this state until December, when I graduate. Car is now crushed to the size of a Pepsi-can. I wouldn't even need one, if it wasn't for the GRE class I was taking 30 miles away, twice a week. But it really doesn't make sense to get one now, because selling a cheap one would be time consuming.

Now, here's the moral of the story, and it is one more story of Murphy's Law. Everyone is your best buddy, until you need a favor that is grander than "can you buy me a sandwich?". Suddenly, when you need a real favor, like to borrow a car and get to class, 99% of the aformentioned "good" friends are nowhere to be found. Like the popped a flashbang in the room and then disappeared right in front of your eyes. Or, suddenly, their cell phones are having real troubles with reception.

*Sigh*
    It really does suck not having a car. Is school still feasible without one? How much does it rain there? I did the bicycle/bus thing for a (short) while in college and it really did suck. I gave up and bought a motorcycle. Baja Motorsports is advertising 50cc scooters for $850 (they take credit cards), that'd be OK for southern California but I don't know what the weathers like where you're at.

Baja Motorsports
    Last edited by sappersgt; 30 Aug 07,, 22:19. Reason: forgot link
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

60 miles on a 50cc twice a week get yourself a 125cc goes about 60mph. plus you'll beat the cars in heavy traffic anyway:)

Comment

In California 150cc (up from 125cc)is the minimum engine displacement for riding on the freeway. My first bike in high school was a Honda 165, in college I bought a Honda 450. Boy am I old or what?
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
          In California 150cc (up from 125cc)is the minimum engine displacement for riding on the freeway. My first bike in high school was a Honda 165, in college I bought a Honda 450. Boy am I old or what?
          Not as old as Dave .What he didn't say Sarge is that his bike was steam powered;) .
          Last edited by Shamus; 30 Aug 07,, 22:59.
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This should be obvious - is there a female in this class? One that you chat up every now and then? If not, stand on the wayside with your pant leg rolled up and shirt off displaying your chest. Something is bound to pick you up sooner or later.
            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
              This should be obvious - is there a female in this class? One that you chat up every now and then? If not, stand on the wayside with your pant leg rolled up and shirt off displaying your chest. Something is bound to pick you up sooner or later.
              Yeah, probably a congressman...

How about just buy a very basic and cheap car off Auto Trader? A scooter will run you $750. Use that money and buy an old Civic or Corrola from the late 80s. They should still have a few miles left in them to get you through. After that, sell it for a couple hundred and be done with it.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                haha..good one.

Comment

There is particular female I've been seeing for a while. Problem is that she is like me, busy and determined. Our schedules are different this year, so I'm dependent often, on the whim of whether she has something important to do or not.

Being at someone else mercy sucks.
                  The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

How about just buy a very basic and cheap car off Auto Trader? A scooter will run you $750. Use that money and buy an old Civic or Corrola from the late 80s. They should still have a few miles left in them to get you through. After that, sell it for a couple hundred and be done with it.
                    I've been considering that quite a bit. But you gotta understand, nowadays, even 750 isn't the easiest thing to come by.

Comment

Something is bound to pick you up sooner or later.
                      Like a Bald Eagle or a passing Condor

Comment

Certainly agree with the 125cc idea. I have one and get to work 15 mins before other guys with cars travelling the same distance. Plus if you are tight like me its very cheap to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Smeigel View Post
                          Certainly agree with the 125cc idea. I have one and get to work 15 mins before other guys with cars travelling the same distance. Plus if you are tight like me its very cheap to run.
                          I agree with the last sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Stan187 View Post
                            Everyone is your best buddy, until you need a favor that is grander than "can you buy me a sandwich?". Suddenly, when you need a real favor, like to borrow a car and get to class, 99% of the aformentioned "good" friends are nowhere to be found.
                            *Sigh*
                            look at the bright side, now you see who your real friends are.
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

I still think you should go with the cheap car idea. Sure it's a bit more expensive, but you will need it for 4 months. You can't borrow friend's car twice a week for 4 months. Besides, with a car, you can do your shopping where you like. You have to have some grocery in your fridge, even for a college student.

Sell the car after you're done. How much more can a car like that depreciate? You can get most of the money back. If you make it real clean and nice looking, you might even make a few bucks.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X