Buried Iraqi AF MiG-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried Iraqi AF MiG-25

I wonder if one of these could be restored and used for dissimilar fighter combat training.

"Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Where in the world did you get thse pictures? What's the story behind them?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
      Where in the world did you get thse pictures? What's the story behind them?
      They were posted on PDF. Before Gulf War II Saddam had just about his entire air force buried in the desert.

Comment

Those were Americans undigging them? Those planes could be used as an OPFOR/RED FORCE in stuff like Red Flag or something
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

This is howcome I left the Pakistand Defense forum in the first place. There was aposting about burying the planes, and I commented "how quintessentially Arab." They got very offended with me. Tough.
          Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

I doubt anyone would get pissed over that over here...

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86
              I doubt anyone would get pissed over that over here...
              Of course not! This board is stacked with heathen Americans and Jews ;)

Edit: Oh wait, I've got a quantity of Lebanese blood in me...Darn the luck!
              Last edited by TopHatter; 11 Sep 03,, 22:24.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you... :8 :dbanana :D :devil :devil2

Comment

Originally posted by markaspen
                  This is howcome I left the Pakistand Defense forum in the first place. There was aposting about burying the planes, and I commented "how quintessentially Arab." They got very offended with me. Tough.
                  Arabs are gods to many of them over there....

Comment

There really isnt any reason to try to rebuild a Mig 25 for dissimilar A2A training. back in 1978 or 79 Viktor Blenkov flew a stolen Mig25 to Japan. There is no doubt in my mind that our government got its mits on it at least 20 years ago and miliked it like a swolen hefer. Nothing left to learn.
                    "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

True, but it still would be interesting, like the NTC used old Soviet equipment before they realised they were too hard to maintain and reshaped American vehicles. If I'm not mistaken, once Israel gave the US a completely functioning Soviet radar for nothing.

Comment

Don't forget that Viktor Belenko's MiG-25 was returned to Soviet Union after barely a few weeks of it's arrival(IIRC). The Japanese and US engineers certainly went over in considerable detail but I can't imagine they wouldnt want a few to keep permanently and fly them at Nellis AFB and elsewhere.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The IAF MiG-21 that an Iraqi defected with was flown extensively.

Comment

A excellent book for Lt Belenko is "MiG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lieutenant Belenko" by John Barron. You'll have to buy it off Alibris like I did, it was worth every shekel...urm, Dollar

Comment

Working...
                            X