Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for your favorite naval model!

Dear Members,

We received three submissions for the naval models contest. It slipped my mind, but now its time to vote for your favorite work. The person who receives the most votes will win one tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies.

The first entry is by aeronautic, a 1:700 IJN battleship Musashi:

The second entry is from rsimpson, 1:144th scale USS Alabama sailing past a sinking "Mogami":

The third entry is from texasjohn of the German Kriegsmarine battleship Tirpitz:

Let the voting begin!
    aeronautic: Japanese Battleship Musashi
    85.87%
    rsimpson: USS Alabama sinking Mogami
    6.52%
    texasjohn: German Battleship Tirpitz
    7.61%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

I vote for the Musashi, not only the model is wonderfully made,
    the pictures are wonderful too.

Comment

I voted for Musashi as well. Very nicely made, very nicely painted, and finally very nicely filmed. Good job all around.

The second pic looks a lot like this pic of the real life Musashi which I enjoy a lot:
      WW2DB: [Photo] Forward bow of the Musashi

I wouldn't mind getting a complete profile pic, too aeronautic, if you have the time to take one. I love the "swept back" profile of the Yamato-class.
      Pete

Comment

Of course I voted for myself. But the Musashi is the clear winner!! good work!

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
          Of course I voted for myself. But the Musashi is the clear winner!! good work!
          If it would make you feel any better, I was tempted to vote for your Tirpitz. The paint job is extremely eye-catching and makes the ship look like a work of art (which ships really are).

But, I had to go with Musashi because of the extraordinary detail in it including the fan-wire antennas and dressing lines.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Musashi

presentation does it for this contest ,Musashi. but all looked great.

Comment

Well done all modellers...

Well done everyone, however, Aeronautic did an outstanding job, excellent pictures and obviously a labour of love. he richly deserves the tin off butter cookies... does anyone know his address so I can ask him to save me one...
              sigpic

Comment

Wow - Aeronautic gets my vote. I echo the others, very impressive.
                Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  If it would make you feel any better, I was tempted to vote for your Tirpitz. The paint job is extremely eye-catching and makes the ship look like a work of art (which ships really are).

But, I had to go with Musashi because of the extraordinary detail in it including the fan-wire antennas and dressing lines.
                  Thanks for your kind words bud! Funny you should mention the paint job. I built this beast back in '82-83 before the internet. To make sure the paint scheme was authentic, I had to go to the library, find a photograph of the ship, make a photocopy and make notes!!! those were the days of hair and immortality!:)

Comment

Tirpitz looks too "shiny" and "glitzy" for me, so I am going for number one, superb modelling, beautiful detail and a wonder to behold.

Comment

Being a detail person (and wearing my reading glasses) I noticed that aeronautic needs to tape off the rifles a little better when he paints next time. Using a smaller brush might help as well.... Just a thought

Unfortunately, none of the others gave such awesome photographs by which to judge their art work. Since Musashi is in battle colors versus the glitz of the Tirpitz, she is the hands down winner!

PS: All that detail paint work is why I don't build models. Ha! Ha!
                      ;)
                      Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
                      (Been There)

Comment

All very good, however I think the Musashi has the edge. Congrat's to all the model makers on their excellent work:)

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                          Tirpitz looks too "shiny" and "glitzy" for me, so I am going for number one, superb modelling, beautiful detail and a wonder to behold.
                          Tirpitz was not that too shiney because of the shade of haze gray she was painted in the ship can look like buffed aluminum under certain lighting conditions. Besides, painting a ship in highly reflective paint was once considered and tested to scramble the sillouette of the ship. Sort of like a an experiment with counter lighting but without the extra generators needed.

Example one: When at the piers at Long Beach Naval Shipyard, both New Jersey and Missouri looked liked they had polished barrels with a flash of blue in them. Only up close did you notice they were just haze gray like the rest of the ship.

Example two: When inspecting Missouri up in Bremerton in the winter of 1983/84, the low sun there gave the ship the impression that she was painted in a light beige color. I have lots of photographs showing a "dessert sand" Battleship.
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

the forward photo of the mushasi is the last thing a submarine commander would see when he raised his periscope,brrrrr cold feeling down my neck

Comment

Musashi Fantastic!

Kudos and blessings to all three modelers. Well done all!:)
                              However I must vote for aeronautic's Musashi because of the incredible
                              detail and depiction in realistic settings. Superb effort and thank you!

R
                              Liberal is a quantity, not a quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X