PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite naval model!

Ironduke
29 Aug 07,, 16:00
Dear Members,

We received three submissions for the naval models contest. It slipped my mind, but now its time to vote for your favorite work. The person who receives the most votes will win one tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies.

The first entry is by aeronautic, a 1:700 IJN battleship Musashi:
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/model1.JPG

The second entry is from rsimpson, 1:144th scale USS Alabama sailing past a sinking "Mogami":
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/model2.JPG

The third entry is from texasjohn of the German Kriegsmarine battleship Tirpitz:
http://www.strategicaffairs.org/images/models/model3.JPG

Let the voting begin!

nizawa
30 Aug 07,, 03:48
I vote for the Musashi, not only the model is wonderfully made,
the pictures are wonderful too.

temujin77
30 Aug 07,, 05:47
I voted for Musashi as well. Very nicely made, very nicely painted, and finally very nicely filmed. Good job all around.

The second pic looks a lot like this pic of the real life Musashi which I enjoy a lot:
WW2DB: [Photo] Forward bow of the Musashi (http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=1593)

I wouldn't mind getting a complete profile pic, too aeronautic, if you have the time to take one. I love the "swept back" profile of the Yamato-class.

texasjohn
30 Aug 07,, 05:54
Of course I voted for myself. But the Musashi is the clear winner!! good work!

RustyBattleship
30 Aug 07,, 06:21
Of course I voted for myself. But the Musashi is the clear winner!! good work!

If it would make you feel any better, I was tempted to vote for your Tirpitz. The paint job is extremely eye-catching and makes the ship look like a work of art (which ships really are).

But, I had to go with Musashi because of the extraordinary detail in it including the fan-wire antennas and dressing lines.

Gsmcsw Rogers
30 Aug 07,, 06:31
:cool:

presentation does it for this contest ,Musashi. but all looked great.

mike nickeas
30 Aug 07,, 08:06
Well done everyone, however, Aeronautic did an outstanding job, excellent pictures and obviously a labour of love. he richly deserves the tin off butter cookies... does anyone know his address so I can ask him to save me one...:biggrin:

Debbie
30 Aug 07,, 15:41
Wow - Aeronautic gets my vote. I echo the others, very impressive.

texasjohn
30 Aug 07,, 15:52
If it would make you feel any better, I was tempted to vote for your Tirpitz. The paint job is extremely eye-catching and makes the ship look like a work of art (which ships really are).

But, I had to go with Musashi because of the extraordinary detail in it including the fan-wire antennas and dressing lines.

Thanks for your kind words bud! Funny you should mention the paint job. I built this beast back in '82-83 before the internet. To make sure the paint scheme was authentic, I had to go to the library, find a photograph of the ship, make a photocopy and make notes!!! those were the days of hair and immortality!:)

Elbmek
30 Aug 07,, 18:17
Tirpitz looks too "shiny" and "glitzy" for me, so I am going for number one, superb modelling, beautiful detail and a wonder to behold.

Captain C
30 Aug 07,, 18:35
Being a detail person (and wearing my reading glasses) I noticed that aeronautic needs to tape off the rifles a little better when he paints next time. Using a smaller brush might help as well.... Just a thought
:eek:

Unfortunately, none of the others gave such awesome photographs by which to judge their art work. Since Musashi is in battle colors versus the glitz of the Tirpitz, she is the hands down winner!
:biggrin:

PS: All that detail paint work is why I don't build models. Ha! Ha!
;)

dave lukins
30 Aug 07,, 21:44
All very good, however I think the Musashi has the edge. Congrat's to all the model makers on their excellent work:)

RustyBattleship
30 Aug 07,, 23:10
Tirpitz looks too "shiny" and "glitzy" for me, so I am going for number one, superb modelling, beautiful detail and a wonder to behold.

Tirpitz was not that too shiney because of the shade of haze gray she was painted in the ship can look like buffed aluminum under certain lighting conditions. Besides, painting a ship in highly reflective paint was once considered and tested to scramble the sillouette of the ship. Sort of like a an experiment with counter lighting but without the extra generators needed.

Example one: When at the piers at Long Beach Naval Shipyard, both New Jersey and Missouri looked liked they had polished barrels with a flash of blue in them. Only up close did you notice they were just haze gray like the rest of the ship.

Example two: When inspecting Missouri up in Bremerton in the winter of 1983/84, the low sun there gave the ship the impression that she was painted in a light beige color. I have lots of photographs showing a "dessert sand" Battleship.

soutie
31 Aug 07,, 13:16
the forward photo of the mushasi is the last thing a submarine commander would see when he raised his periscope,brrrrr cold feeling down my neck

rendover
31 Aug 07,, 17:17
Kudos and blessings to all three modelers. Well done all!:)
However I must vote for aeronautic's Musashi because of the incredible
detail and depiction in realistic settings. Superb effort and thank you!:biggrin:

R

RustyBattleship
31 Aug 07,, 22:03
Question on the Musashi model:

It is described as a 1:700 scale Tamaya kit. I find it hard to believe that kind of detail molding can be done in that small of a scale. But I haven't seen the Tamaya kit of Musashi/Yamato, only New Jersey (with questionably acquired classified plans that added to astounding accuracy and info that we did NOT want to be made public).

If your modeling ability is that good (comparable to a jeweler or watch maker), you should try Lee Upshaw's (Scale Shipyard) hulls and fittings in 1:100 scale.

Hmmm. A model 7 times as big as the one you have. Well, the family will just have to eat off of paper plates while the dining room table is taken up for a couple of years.

Ray
31 Aug 07,, 22:32
All three are great.

Tirpitz is shiny because German like to appear shipshape! ;)

wkllaw
01 Sep 07,, 02:20
Musashi definitely looks the best, they all looked good though.

nochanda
03 Sep 07,, 09:04
The model not only a hit hit and and a reminder but shows a lot of thought
I find this a motivation to think of something modelwise:cool:

sealion
07 Sep 07,, 18:44
my vote is for tirpitz (for the camo work)

smilingassassin
07 Sep 07,, 23:19
As a model builder myself I am simply stunned by Aeronautic's Musashi model, and while the others were good in their own right Aeronautic's was the winner hands down.

Yes Rusty, they can look that detailed these days. Photo etched parts really make a huge difference and there are certain technics you can use to remove the joints where parts are cemented together. I've yet to get enough confidence to use photoetched details on my models but I have been able to dabble in the art of rigging detail. Simply cut a small peice of sprue, heat it, and carefully twist and pull the two ends apart and you get a nice line. Attaching it on the other hand....painfully tedious!

The Tamiya Yamato molds are top notch as they have been redone recently. They used to have a single mold hull but now they are three peice (sides and deck) with VERY good detail.

I currently have no camera but one of the entry's I would have considered would have been my model of Yamato/Musashi's half sister, the CV Shinano.

RustyBattleship
08 Sep 07,, 05:30
Yes Rusty, they can look that detailed these days. Photo etched parts really make a huge difference and there are certain technics you can use to remove the joints where parts are cemented together. I've yet to get enough confidence to use photoetched details on my models but I have been able to dabble in the art of rigging detail.

My friend, Lee Upshaw of the Scale Shipyard, sells photo-etched parts for his 1:96 and 1:100 ship hulls. Some of them are fantastic.

I currently have no camera but one of the entry's I would have considered would have been my model of Yamato/Musashi's half sister, the CV Shinano.

Before or after she was spotted by the Archerfish?

Ironduke
09 Sep 07,, 10:28
A bit late, yet again. Winning 47 out of 52 votes, clearly aeronautic is the winner of this modeling contest with the prize of a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!

smilingassassin
09 Sep 07,, 22:44
Before or after she was spotted by the Archerfish?

Heh, if they had included the section of the hull below the waterline I suppose I could have built her to represent the point AFTER she met the Archerfish.

RustyBattleship
10 Sep 07,, 01:27
A bit late, yet again. Winning 47 out of 52 votes, clearly aeronautic is the winner of this modeling contest with the prize of a tin of Royal Dansk Butter Cookies!

The Musashi model is the obvious winner --- BUT --- doesn't 47 + 3 + 3 = 53?

Sigh! And we won the war in spite of him.

Ironduke
11 Sep 07,, 11:19
The poll is still open... I forgot to set it to automatically close after the week expired.

aeronautic
11 Sep 07,, 12:48
Hi all
Thank you very much for the fine remarks regarding my model of Musashi
I am proud to be a winner in this forum. This is the first time for me to be in a competition. I started modeling again after a 25 years of hold (2 years ago).
As a young boy a build lots of 1:72 aircraft and tanks, it later went into train modeling (the landscape was a thing I really enjoyed) -but I always had a special interest in naval warfare and warships. Every 4th. of July we had US. naval visit in the harbour of Aalborg (Denmark) to celebrate in Rebil hills.
I stood on the quay to welcome the USN. and was one of the first to enter "open ship". After 7 years of sailing on my 1:1 scale Motor yacht I went back on modeling IJN 1:700 warships. They stand beside my collection of my 1:500 die cast model airliners in the glass cabinets (400+).
I have my own website with pic. of my model airport, model warship/aircraft and spotter pic. of real aircraft. Fell free to visit my site:
[url=http://www.aeronautic.dk[/url]

Best regards

Lars
aeronautic

xrough
21 Sep 07,, 10:38
I vote for Musashi..

ExNavyAmerican
21 Sep 07,, 11:31
Voted for Musashi. The detail is fantastic.

The Chap
08 Nov 07,, 04:01
:) There is a difference. Whilst #1 is exquisitely presented and assembled, #2 seems to be a working model that fires BBs. And passing in victory! Purely for being a working model, she wins my vote.;)

cuba
08 Feb 08,, 05:39
I am also a model builder (albeit not a very good one and i don't do it that often). Although the Musashi is clearly the most aesthetically pleasing and well done, i voted for the Tirpitz.

I have no idea why...

Elbmek
08 Feb 08,, 11:42
The detail on the musashi takes my breath away, its phenomenal, I am oh so jealous.

DragoonGuard
24 Jun 09,, 18:35
Yeah - The Musashi does it for me....

Kernow
05 Nov 09,, 01:37
The Musashi is excellent so is the diorama.